• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Soil temperature

Right now I have a bunch of plants down in my basement under fluorescent lights and the soil temp is around 65. I've noticed a lot haven't grown all that much since planting around 3/12. Some are still under an inch tall. These are pretty much all the chinense varieties. I have a soil heating mat that is supposed to heat it up 10-20 degrees over ambient temperature. Would it be a good idea to get them under that or will they be fine at the current 65? There's not really anywhere else I can move them either, the basement is really the only place I can hang the lights.

I would get that mat underneath them. All that I have read states that pepper plants are optimally grown right around 80 degrees F. Other than that they will take FOREVER to grow. Good luck with your season.

80 is mainly for germination. You would want to keep the roots a fair bit cooler than that. Think of how cool it is a couple inches below the surface on an 80 degree day.

My experience has been that a lot of these peppers start out pretty slow early on, and pick up speed after their roots grow a bit.

Chinense are slow, but if you could enclose them the heat from your light would probably bump the temp up 10 to 15 degrees and help growth. I wouldn't use a heat mat after they have sprouted.

Back