• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Sold my first plants today!

Well, after growing and caring for my little baby superhots for the last couple of months I set them free today. I took 38 of them to the local farmer's market where I wholesaled them at $2.50ea. to a vendor. As of 5pm he had sold 25 with a couple of more being picked up later. It was a little sad to see them go, but it gave me a whole lot of pride when he started texting me "I sold 6 first sale" next one was "next customer bought 5!" This kind of demand tells me that next year I really need to expand and try to grow 400-500 for sale. I only have another 25 or so to give him next week. All in all a very good experience.

Thats awesome!! Congrats! Im still trying to find a way to make a profit out of some of the plants I'm working on. There has to be a market for these in some fashion...

Congrats on the sale! Maybe sad to see them go, but it will also help to offset some of the costs of starting them, plus the satisfaction of spreading the heat doesn't hurt either. What varieties did you sell?

jacob

texas blues said:
Geez Louise NJA...what the hell did you do to your avatar?
I am fascinated by Arnie. MrArboc's fascination with Mr. Bean inspired me to try and get Arnie in diff forms.
I loved this one most.

Like it?

texas blues said:
Geez Louise NJA...what the hell did you do to your avatar?

GAWD...that looks like something my buddy took home last weekend from the bar...

(I know its Arnold)

jjs7741 said:
Congrats on the sale! Maybe sad to see them go, but it will also help to offset some of the costs of starting them, plus the satisfaction of spreading the heat doesn't hurt either. What varieties did you sell?

jacob

They were all superhots. Naga Morichs, Dorset Nagas, Bhuts, Red and Yellow 7- Pots, Scorpions, Caribbean Reds, Fataliis, Red Savinas.

Congratulations on the sales and experience.
This interests me because where I live things seem to work a bit different since you generally have to be a farmer and first hand producer to sell a product at a farmer's market. They want to keep re-sellers away and keep the farmer in farmer's market and limit the re-sellers to public markets.
Just an observation:)

Potawie, I deal with a regular vendor there that sells hot sauce and hot related items there full-time. He has been there on a permanent basis for two or three years. He is buying them from me for $2.50 and selling them for $5. He also got permission to sell plants as it was out of his normal area of products. They said it was still in the realm of what he was doing, so no problem. He has already asked me about selling him pods to resell at harvest time.

On a side note, I believe I may be the only person in my county growing superhots for resale.

Jay,

A few electrons of advice: don't get carried away with trying to grow lots of plants. Been there, done that, wasted money on potting mix and containers! Real world experience - it's a long way from 50 to 500 plants. Like Casey said, "Keep reaching for the stars but keep your feet on the ground."

YMMV,

Mike

Thankx Mike, I kind of thought the same thing when he told me that today. I think I am going to do four flats next year. The cost will be nearly the same and it will help increase demand which appears to be high here. I plan to have them ready much earlier next year too.

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
I am fascinated by Arnie. MrArboc's fascination with Mr. Bean inspired me to try and get Arnie in diff forms.
I loved this one most.

Like it?

that is a disturbing image, just like Mr.A's various "beans" lol :)

Great job JayT!!!

Nothing like taking a hobby and having it pay for itself. I have a hobby business, not pepper related, that I do to help pay for attending the festivals where I get to spend time with my friends, and enjoy my hobby. Good luck! I hope you are including some info on growing and places like THP where people can go for help.

What I have found is that you have to build your customr base...a lot of the folks that bought plants from me this year were repeat customers from last year and a lot of my new customers heard about my plants from my last years customers....

well done JayT...

Back