• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Solo Cups...#1 Pots

I just planted my chinense seeds last night in peat pellets. When they begin to germinate, I'm wondering why I can't just transplant them straight into #1 pots, and bypass the Solo cups. Why transplant twice if I don't have to? Any downside to this?

Does anybody here leave their plants in Solo cups for the duration until the final plantout? I think the "ghostpepperstore" does. Anyone else?

If you have the space,then why not? I think most do it to limit space and what not. It's one of my reasons for doing so,just be sure to water in your transplants slowly and not over water is all about you need to worry about.

Best of Luck,

MR_POTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsYD0gJ7CIA&list=UU7Uva8plimV55pK-_mCUnTQ&index=12

i like sheldons ways.... again this is for those that have space

puts them till he moves them out... notice how he trims them as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym7n-0BYlCE&list=UU7Uva8plimV55pK-_mCUnTQ&index=11

I actually decided to move away from the solo cups this year. They work great but I had a lot of issues moving flats of them around. The solo cups were constantly falling over, damaging plants, spilling dirt. Part of that is because I had 12" tall plants in 6" tall cups and they got top heavy. This year I am doing 4" square, extra deep pots with form trays. Overall, they should have about the same volume, and I still plan to go from these straight into the ground and skip the #1 pots.

I still say solo is the way to go if you aren't dealing with hundreds or thousands of plants. Plus, these square pots don't really become cost effective until you are buying them by the case.

I don't believe there are any rules as to how often to repot or what size of pot to go to. If you're wanting to skip steps why not go straight to the final pot? The seedling may look a little small in a five to 10 gallon bucket but I doubt if it takes long to fill it up with new growth. Grow them the way you want to. My only concern would be waiting too long and allowing the plant to become root bound.

I actually decided to move away from the solo cups this year. They work great but I had a lot of issues moving flats of them around. The solo cups were constantly falling over, damaging plants, spilling dirt. Part of that is because I had 12" tall plants in 6" tall cups and they got top heavy. This year I am doing 4" square, extra deep pots with form trays. Overall, they should have about the same volume, and I still plan to go from these straight into the ground and skip the #1 pots.

I still say solo is the way to go if you aren't dealing with hundreds or thousands of plants. Plus, these square pots don't really become cost effective until you are buying them by the case.
Do you have a link, I think what you are switching to is exactly what I use that I get from a nursery.

+ on tipping over too easy. If you are starting plants now,they will be pretty big(flowers and small fruit) and tip easy with the small base of the solo cups. Potting up is a pain but have you ever tried keeping the moisture level correct with a tiny seedling in a large container?

A stunted plant will become un-stunted if it has the room to grow afterwards. Don't worry too much about it
just a well rooted solo cup will require lots of nutrients and more watering as the soil can't hold enough to supply the young plant.

Those are nice, but too spendy for me @ $0.30 per pot.

I use these http://www.novoselen...e.asp?ID=593160
They are not as deep, but about 1/3 the price.

Yep, I have a case of those too. I like them for Annums since I dont have to start them until March. I also use those for my cukes, tomatoes and eggplant. I tried them with my Chinense a couple of years ago and they got rootbound at about 12 weeks and I had to pot up to #1 pots before the field was ready. Its all about the timing.

These are plants left over from last year that I never got around to potting up into larger pots. They sit on my kitchen table and get very little sun. I haven't had any problems with them falling over. You just have to insure you keep enough water in the solo cups to keep the weight balanced. You'll notice there are two cups. The bottom cup has a couple of packing peanuts in it to provide space between both cups. The inner cup has several holes around the bottom. When I water these I pour the water directly into the bottom cup. It's then wheezed up by the inner cup. I know, brilliant. ;)

I didn't have the heart to toss these guys out. All but the real tall one are producing small pods.

DSC027151725x2300_zpsee46146e.jpg

These are plants left over from last year that I never got around to potting up into larger pots. They sit on my kitchen table and get very little sun. I haven't had any problems with them falling over. You just have to insure you keep enough water in the solo cups to keep the weight balanced. You'll notice there are two cups. The bottom cup has a couple of packing peanuts in it to provide space between both cups. The inner cup has several holes around the bottom. When I water these I pour the water directly into the bottom cup. It's then wheezed up by the inner cup. I know, brilliant. ;)

I didn't have the heart to toss these guys out. All but the real tall one are producing small pods.

DSC027151725x2300_zpsee46146e.jpg

Very impressive! And hear I am worrying my 5oz solo cups are too small for my 2 week old seedlings.

Back