• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Solo Cups

How long can a plant survive in a solo cup? I was just seeing if some seeds would germ, and it did so I let it grow. Winter is on its way and I don't have lighting, but I feel bad killing it now ;-/. Wondering how long I can keep it in the cup in a sunny window... might it survive to be put in the ground next year?

Most likely it will survive just fine. A little extra care will be needed since it will use up most of the root space and nutrients in the little cup. Patrick had one grow in I think a 16oz cup for a whole season, something like 4' tall inside his place near a sunny window so yeah, it can be done.

Found it, post number 35 in this thread

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27990-pictures-of-massive-pepper-plants/page__st__20

Well I'll be...

Thanks! I hate having to kill things that don't annoy me.

(But if this pepper plant starts talking back.... the days are numbered. ;) )

+1

Last year I started seeds on January 1 - it's a few months earlier than that, but my experience may help. I don't keep my house very warm over the winter; it's old, the insulation is shot, and I just refuse to pay a ridiculous heating bill. If you decide to come visit, be sure to bring a jacket for inside! While I kept the room I started the seeds in fairly warm at first by running a small space heater, I eventually stopped and let the plants fend for themselves. Result? Slow growth. So either limit the temp or light a tad, and you have a reduced likelihood that they'll become overly root-bound before you're ready to repot. While it's still really small, though, try to give it enough of both to keep it going. Don't back off until after it's gotten it's 3rd or 4th set of real leaves. Also, be sure to keep a fan running around it to help prevent damping off, which is a fungus. Bottom-watering helps prevent that, too - just be sure to keep the surface of the soil dry.

A long, long time.. more than you think and more than seems intuitive.

I agree that bottom-watering them is a good strategy. Just put a small hole in the bottom of the plastic cup, and set them in a pool of water when they need a drink and they will suck up just as much as they need.

I've had plants reach 2-3', flower, and start producing pods in a solo cup, and while it was a concern to me and probably not ideal, when I transplanted them they couldn't have been happier.

I used cups after the seedlings popped up..........one per cup in the window.......til they got to be 4-5 inches and strong enought to survive the temps and outside environment.

I did it for the first time last year and IMO was pretty successful........If done outside the whiteflies will destroy them when young if the environment does not.

trying another batch in cups now..........but it has not been as successful as last year.............could be the month I am starting....not sure

While you can keep it in the cup, there is not much benefit in doing so. The growth is stunted and usually the stem thin. You may be as well off just starting next year's crop early in spring, though it is exciting when a warm spring day comes and you find your overwintered plants growing new leaves.

i can vouch that they can survive a long time. i have 4 plants that are 2 yrs old on my window sill, 3 in solo cups and 1 in a yogurt container.
and thats not to mention the other dozen that never made it out to the garden this season. im losing a few of this years though. mostly caused by neglect. My window sill was mostly the rejects that didnt fit in the garden (i cant bring myself to throw out healthy plants ive grown for months already)

you just have to water often and they even produce a few peppers here and there. it basically is just a battle of nutrition and being root bound. a root trim once and a while when they are root bound enough to be losing their foliage, and you can grow them indefinately.... Its kinda like a bonsai situation.

My carribean red plant in the yogurt container has started to look like a tree after 2 years. its about 9" tall and branches out about 1.5 ft. to the sides with very small leaves, and pea sized peppers lol. Its kinda cool anyhow. Its due for a trim seeing that it has been losing its leaves in the lower lighting of fall.

My carribean red plant in the yogurt container has started to look like a tree after 2 years. its about 9" tall and branches out about 1.5 ft. to the sides with very small leaves, and pea sized peppers lol. Its kinda cool anyhow. Its due for a trim seeing that it has been losing its leaves in the lower lighting of fall.

I am trying my first bonchi experiment this year, could you throw up a pic of that plant?

Back