• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pics Some plant pics 2009

Heres a few pic of my setup and some plants I'd thought i'd share. A few more weeks and I hope it will be warm enough to plant outside. :)
058.jpg

074.jpg

Great looking plants. I noticed a small one in what seems to be a peat puck. How long do you leave them in that little peat thing? I lost a couple that where only a week old trying to transplant it out of the peat and into a pot because I read you had to take them out of that once they get 2 leaves.

LGHT said:
Great looking plants. I noticed a small one in what seems to be a peat puck. How long do you leave them in that little peat thing? I lost a couple that where only a week old trying to transplant it out of the peat and into a pot because I read you had to take them out of that once they get 2 leaves.

I just started planting this year and have used the peat pellets along with the mini-heated greenhouse they came with. Obviously I don't have much experience, but I've had pretty good luck with waiting until the roots started poking through the mesh before transplanting. I haven't lost one yet and had very good germination rates on all except the serrano's. Figures though as serranos are the one's I wanted the most :(.

LGHT said:

You don't actually remove them from the peat pot(actually shouldn't try that, probably would tear up the roots), but it's not a bad idea to cut the mesh off the outside before transplanting.

nice looking plants..

good job..

and you are correct with the timing of transplant from peat pellets to larger pots.. when you see roots at the bottom, its time.

good luck

LGHT said:

Heres a pic last year of them before I transplanted. I waited a little long but it proves how long you can wait.
015-2.jpg

Wow, those are pretty big for being in the peat pots! Live and learn. I started the same setup, but once they sprouted I read that I need to remove them from the jiffy house and I thought that meant from the peat pot as well and put them into soil instead so I gently removed everyone of them (seperating some that had 2 sprouts per peat pot) and putting them into soil. Next time I'll just pull them and grow them in the peat for a while.

Thanks guys for the advice. Still a lot to learn and I appreciate all the help

LGHT said:
Wow, those are pretty big for being in the peat pots! Live and learn. I started the same setup, but once they sprouted I read that I need to remove them from the jiffy house and I thought that meant from the peat pot as well and put them into soil instead so I gently removed everyone of them (seperating some that had 2 sprouts per peat pot) and putting them into soil. Next time I'll just pull them and grow them in the peat for a while.

Thanks guys for the advice. Still a lot to learn and I appreciate all the help

No problem, did you take the seedling out of the peat pellet when you planted or planted the whole pellet? I wouldn't seperate them either. I plant a few seeds per pellet and if two sprout after week or so of them growing I just snip the weaker one.

chillilover said:
No problem, did you take the seedling out of the peat pellet when you planted or planted the whole pellet? I wouldn't seperate them either. I plant a few seeds per pellet and if two sprout after week or so of them growing I just snip the weaker one.

I pulled them when they where very small so I ended up putting them in 2" pots. I removed the net from all of them, but didn't bother trying to take the peat off. Some of them the peat just fell off the plant was buried in the new soil root only and others I just left the peat attached to the root and buried the whole thing. I didn't however snip any of the sprouts. Most of the peat pots got 2 seeds and a few ended up getting 3. I started separating the plants that had 2 sprouts, but realized that I didn't have enough pots to separate all of them so I only did half and the rest where planted together. Half have 2 sprouts growing and a few even have 3 per pot. Will that be a problem going forward? If so should I now go back and just snip one of the 2? Most of them seem to be the exact same size.

LGHT said:
I pulled them when they where very small so I ended up putting them in 2" pots. I removed the net from all of them, but didn't bother trying to take the peat off. Some of them the peat just fell off the plant was buried in the new soil root only and others I just left the peat attached to the root and buried the whole thing. I didn't however snip any of the sprouts. Most of the peat pots got 2 seeds and a few ended up getting 3. I started separating the plants that had 2 sprouts, but realized that I didn't have enough pots to separate all of them so I only did half and the rest where planted together. Half have 2 sprouts growing and a few even have 3 per pot. Will that be a problem going forward? If so should I now go back and just snip one of the 2? Most of them seem to be the exact same size.

Next year I'd just leave them in the peat pellet, then when they have 4 true leaves take off the netting and plant in a 4 inch pot. Any pics? How many true leave now? If you leave them too long the roots will get intertwined. Then when you try to seperate you could damage one or both plants. If they're too far along I'd cut the weaker or smaller plant. How long have they been growing?

chillilover said:
Next year I'd just leave them in the peat pellet, then when they have 4 true leaves take off the netting and plant in a 4 inch pot. Any pics? How many true leave now? If you leave them too long the roots will get intertwined. Then when you try to seperate you could damage one or both plants. If they're too far along I'd cut the weaker or smaller plant. How long have they been growing?

Well I may end up putting in another 72 seeds in the jiffy greenhouse in a few weeks depending on how good or bad these seeds do. I posted a pic a few days ago here.
CLICK HERE TO SEE THE POST

Not sure what is a "true leaf" just yet, but they all still have the same 2 leaves they started with and a few have a 3rd leaf. Is separating them a must? I didn't know I had to as I have a pepper plant now and it has 3 different types of peepers and a few stalks of each. That plant has a ton of small peppers and flowers. It's just something I got at the home depot a month or 2 ago. If I don't separate would it be bad or is it ok? This is my first year growing peppers or anything from seed, but I have a huge garden space where I have grown herbs and flowers for years. My goal is to grow enough peppers to fill up a long empty bed that gets full sun for most of the day.

"True leaves" are any leaf after the first two. The ones they sprout with aren't actually leaves, they're called cotyledons. I'd either snip one or try to seperate. I personally wouldn't try to seperate at that stage but lets see what anyone else says. You definitely can't grow them that close to each other though.

Back