• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting some ?'s about a mash...

i am not sure if this is the right part of the forum but i will ask it.. and mods plz move it if its not right...thx

i just started a mash of habs & salt, not sure if i have followed the proper procedures.

do i need to add an acid so that it will ferment(age) or can i just use salt?

does the jar need to be sealed completely so no air gets in (or gets out)?

what is an inexpenive PH tester that would work for this? and where would i get that? i am in canada, not alot of choices as i can find.lol

i would welcome any hints,recommendations...any kind of help or safety procedures would be welcome by all means

pics

whg0b6.jpg

16kyt1j.jpg

jtnct5.jpg

boiled for 20 minutes

aub15f.jpg

I know nothing about making chile mash.

though I think all you need is salt & nothing or do anything else to it for a certain time length.

my parents make their own sauerkraut, cabbage & just some salt, mix it once in awhile & leave it in 5 gallon pails in their basement for a couple months w/only a bag over the top to prevent bugs. thats it & thats fermenting.
they dont cook it until it has set & fermented for 1-2 months.

but I also hear fermenting can be a hit or miss for being done correctly so no harmful bacteria grows.

I did a jalapeno mash once and it came out pretty good. I can't remember exactly but I think this is what I did:

30 lbs green jalapeƱos
8% Salt

I just chopped peppers, added salt (had to add a little water to get peppers chopped in a food processor)

Then I just let it sit in broad mouth glass containers in a dark cupboard. Every so often I opened the jar to let out accumulating gases. I let it ferment for 6 months.

It turned out to be good but a little too salty. After boiling it with vinegar and letting it sit for 6 more months it was pretty good. What I didn't like about it was that it was too runny, too vinegary and too salty. But I guess that's the way it has to taste...

I also bought some mashes from a company named Amazon Peppers in Colombia and they have a very wide selection of mashes that were very good. Great for making your own wing sauce and other stuff

Back