some simple q's

I've been reading some of the homebrew threads and it looks like a fun hobby. I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the cost vs buying in the store? Is it cheaper/same/more expensive?
2. If you bottle how many bottles do you get out of a 5 gallon batch?
3. Could you use a turkey fryer as your brew kettle. I see you need a big pot for this and though what about getting a turkey fryer and using that? I couldn't during the winter, but other times of the year I could. You know make sure to get a good sturdy one and one where you control the fire underneath.
4. If I start doing this will I become addicted and what to brew all the time?

-PP

peter pepper said:
I've been reading some of the homebrew threads and it looks like a fun hobby. I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the cost vs buying in the store? Is it cheaper/same/more expensive?
Cost is about the same as buying domestics but you'll be drinking micro/import quality.
2. If you bottle how many bottles do you get out of a 5 gallon batch?
2 cases plus maybe another bottle or two.
3. Could you use a turkey fryer as your brew kettle. I see you need a big pot for this and though what about getting a turkey fryer and using that? I couldn't during the winter, but other times of the year I could. You know make sure to get a good sturdy one and one where you control the fire underneath.
Yep, that'd work. Some folks advise not using aluminum pots, though, due to possible links to Alzheimer's disease. I used one for a few years with no problems. I did notice that it'd scratch fairly easily if I scrubbed too hard.
4. If I start doing this will I become addicted and what to brew all the time?
Oh, absolutely.

-PP

See reply within text.

I agree with you Duffman except for one aspect, the cost.
Depends on if you are going to brew kit/kilo or allgrain in my opinion. For instance i brew a kit/kilo double stout that is very nice and it would only cost me around $25 for a 21 litre batch, if i were to buy a similar kind of stout in the store it would cost me roughly $196 (at $7 a 750ml bottle). That's a huge saving.

Plus there is another added bonus that goes along with homebrew, THE THIEVES THAT CALL THEMSELVES THE GOVERNMENT do not get their normal piece of the pie. Anyway i can avoid giving those scum my money is a good thing! :)

alright thanks guys.

one more quick one: when you are letting it ferment where do you keep it? Would I been fine in my garage? It's unheated during the winter and it would be warm in the summer - or would I be better off looking some other place?

True, Novacastrian, homebrew can definitely be much cheaper. I'm assuming a beginner will use an ingredient kit which generally cost around $30-40 so that ends up being $8-10 per 12 pack.

Someone starting out will also need some basic brewing equipment such as carboy or fermenting bucket, large brewpot, airlock, siphon, bottle capper, etc... Basic equipment packages available at homebrew stores typically start in the $60-70 or so range and are an easy way to get started. And like every other hobby, it's very easy to spend more $$.

I also highly recommend "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian. It's the homebrewers bible. Definitely check it out.

Most people ferment in a closet, bedroom, basement, garage...where ever temperatures are stable and in the proper range. Ales are more common for homebrewers because they like 60-75*F while lagers are looking for 48-55*F and even colder for secondary fermentation/lagering.

Back