• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Something wrong with my transplants?

So my plants have been in the ground a little under a week now. Planted them out 5 days ago, and they got 3 beautiful sunny days, and now have had 2 days of periodic rain and overcast skies. Some of them obviously needed a shot of nitrogen, as they were looking pale, and had yellowing lower leaves. Other plants I've transplanted in the yard showing similar conditions bounced right back with a little dilute fish emulsion. So I decided to give all the new kids in the raised bed some as well. Here's the general condition of some of them to get an idea of what I was trying to treat...

A chocolate Hab.

DSCN0605.jpg

And a fatali

DSCN0603.jpg

And here's the weird stuff I'm seeing now. Veins and parts of some leaves turning a funny color. This doesn't seem to be from sun, as they had 3 days of it straight, and looked fine. Only after 2 days of rain has it shown up...

On a Fatali. Check out those lower leaves...

DSCN0607.jpg

On a Chocolate Hab.

DSCN0602.jpg

All of my chinenses are effected, but nothing else seems to care.

I'm thinking I may just leave them alone and let nature sort it out. Any clues as to what is wrong here? At this point, the only thing I haven't given them since they were babies with one set of leaves is epsom salts. This may help, but if too much fertilizer was the issue to begin with, I don't want to throw more wood on the fire.

I pull/trim every lower leaf off the plants that are "mutilated" or yellow...they are eventually going to fall off anyway and this way, it lets the plants energy go into new growth instead of trying to repair old/mutilated leaves...JMO

It kind of looks like dirt that has settled in the lowest parts of the leaf. The dirt was probably kicked up by the rain. Have you tried just wiping it off?

Good luck with it.

Yeah, tried wiping it off patrick, that's what's got me freaked out. If it was a nutrient overload of some kind, the upcoming 5 Damn days of rediculously hard rain should sort that out, (If it doesn't strip them of all their leaves! Some took a real beating last night, when the rain started to fall so hard the gutters couldn't take it, and started pouring water out onto them!) Did I mention this rain thing is really starting to chap my ass? I don't mind a nice gentle rain, but raining mackerel and trout is a bit rediculous.

I get the same problem with the leaves turning black. Usually it's just because I'm near the freeway. If that's the case you'll need to literally wash them with watered down soap. It's really bad with my lemons.

Back