• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut

Have been busy in my spare time, trying to build shelves to hold my seedlings. I need room for 54 1020 flats (about 11x22 inches) and kept coming up at least eight flats short. Okay, so I might have to cut back a bit on how many plants will be available to sell.

This evening I put the framing up. The long wall has a shelf that is about 185" long and 44" wide. It will hold 34 flats and my growing chamber, where my seeds will reside until they are large enough to transplant, will hold 13 flats. That gets me to 47.

But the shelf I built is nearly 30 inches off the floor. That's more than enough space for lights and flats - at least 8, 16 if I want to get down on my knees and craw to reach the back row. The rest of the space can be used to overwinter plants next year as well as a handy place to stick potting soil, planters, etc.

Mike

Sounds like you are way ahead of me Mike...I need to do something "adding on" in my garage but haven't got time right now....still picking and dealing with peppers...

got any pics? would love to see the complete setup...

sounds like you're on your way,congrats.
for growing the ammount you want to grow & sell at the farmers market.
come next season I think we might be seeing pictures of harvests like AJ's from you :think:
if I remember right you're also growing a bunch of really hot chiles, you better up your tolerance from banana/wax chiles :lol:

Once I get it done, which may take a couple of days and even then I won't have the lights, I'll have some pics. This seems to be, so far, way more of a task than I expected. It's my fault - if I would just drive up the road and buy the lumber, it would be a piece of cake. But I have all these boards laying around... can't see a reason to let them rot while I buy new ones.

That room is gonna be a bright one - at least 1500 watts of CFL bulbs that should equal about 75,000 watts of regular light.

Mike

yup...it will be bright that's for sure...

I keep on expecting to have the police knock on my door during the winter/early spring when I have all my lights running in the garage...you can definitely see a spike in my electricity bill during December/Jan/Feb...

If they do come in, I will give them a tour of the casa and urge them to taste the products I produce... (evil grin)....

AJ,

I keep expecting the cops to visit. My hope is they knock first, not just knock the door down. But even with all the lights, the electricity bill shouldn't be horrendous. 1500 watts is about what one of those space heaters use.

Chilihunter,
The only pepper plants I'll grow to sell will be Hot Wax, Jalapeno, Habanaro, Cayenne, Banana, and a Bhut Jolokia. I've found very few people in Cincy that are into the superhots.

I'm just hoping this work will pay off and I'll have 1400 plants to sell. I plan on charging $2.00 for the ones in the 2" cells and $3 for ones in 3" containers. That's maybe 50¢ higher than the largest nurseries do, but mine will be heirloom seeds and I'll deliver, at least in many instances.

Mike

wordwiz said:
AJ,

I keep expecting the cops to visit. My hope is they knock first, not just knock the door down. But even with all the lights, the electricity bill shouldn't be horrendous. 1500 watts is about what one of those space heaters use.

Chilihunter,
The only pepper plants I'll grow to sell will be Hot Wax, Jalapeno, Habanaro, Cayenne, Banana, and a Bhut Jolokia. I've found very few people in Cincy that are into the superhots.

I'm just hoping this work will pay off and I'll have 1400 plants to sell. I plan on charging $2.00 for the ones in the 2" cells and $3 for ones in 3" containers. That's maybe 50¢ higher than the largest nurseries do, but mine will be heirloom seeds and I'll deliver, at least in many instances.

Mike

Once the word spreads i would say that more than one superhot would be in order, target the young ruffies...

Novacastrian said:
Once the word spreads i would say that more than one superhot would be in order, target the young ruffies...

I think you could sell all the super-hots with the right marketing speil. The novelty value of these peppers is what makes them special. Hispanic people love them I'm sure.
I think you meant roughies. Ruffies are date-rape drugs.

ABM,

A major blockade to growing and selling superhots is finding seeds. Several people have been very nice to send seeds that I planted last spring (and I have some for this spring) but, and I mean not disrespect to anyone who has sent seeds or pods, I don't know that the seed is pure. It's one thing for me to give someone plants or pods and tell them it is suppose to be a Bhut or 7-pod or whatever and completely different to sell them.

Mike

Back