• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Soursop Sawse? Why Not???

salsalady

Business Member
While shopping at a grocery store a couple towns over, I saw some frozen soursop fruit pulp.  I was looking for cranberries in the freezer case, which they did not have, so what the heck, I grabbed (2) 1 pound pouches of frozen soursop pulp. 

I've heard of soursop fruit, never tasted it, but what the heck!  I'm always looking for something new and fun!  At check out, the clerk asked me if the frozen stuff was good.  I replied, I didn't know as I've never tried it before.  She commented that the fresh fruit is Really Good!   Hmmm, well, this is starting off on a good note!
IMG_20191124_121534086.jpg

At home, I nicked the pouch and tasted the fruit.  It tasted like melon-banana-strawberry.  Fibery sections with 1 large black seed.  As the seeds were large and seemed easy to remove, I worked through the pulp, separating the seeds.  I didn't want to run it through a food mill, I thought the seeds were big enough that the mill action would scrape off some of the exterior and might be a bit bitter.   Easy-peasy to pop out the seeds.
IMG_20191124_121544075.jpg

IMG_20191124_122043460.jpg

IMG_20191124_122109093.jpg

IMG_20191124_122636605.jpg

Add  a couple ingredients-
3 garlic cloves
1/4 white onion
2 Tbsp lime juice
1/4 cup white balsamic
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 fatalii pepper
IMG_20191124_123434674.jpg

IMG_20191124_123558769.jpg

This was simmered for a bit then ran through the food processor with a blade.  The result was....not the right stuff.  Too lumpy and too stringy.  So...  Off to the BlendTec we go!
IMG_20191124_131516051.jpg
IMG_20191124_132844582.jpg

But that is still to gloopy.  Added some more balsamic, lime, and some apple juice.  It's getting there, but still too thick.  I didn't want to add any more sweet juice, so I added water.  Got it to the right consistency, good Zing from the ginger, mild heat from the one fatalii, sweet mellow fruit flavor....Now What to do with it!!!!

It was brought back up to temp and bottles with HFH method. 
IMG_20191124_133216615.jpg

This next photo looks grey due to fluorescent lights, but it actually is a light creamy white. 
IMG_20191124_144835417.jpg

IMG_20191124_150415421.jpg

I'll probably be including this in the winter's Making Hot Sauce class, along with something Cranberry related.   I'm looking forward to the finished class photos of this white sauce, a brilliant cranberry sauce, gotta get something orange.....a blueberry/purple something.....I see a rainbow on the horizon!

I think I added an additional-
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 cup white balsamic
1 cup apple juice
1 cup water

I'll check measurements tomorrow

Yield- 7 1/2 5 oz woozie bottles

pH= <3.2

We used this on pork chops for last night's dinner, it was good. This sauce is definitely on the hot sauce class list.

I'm also looking to do something orange. Orange bells, orange or yellow hot peppers, zest, tamari, ginger, onion, couple other spices...

Cranberry, red morugas, tamari, ...the other usual suspects....and whatever single ingredient that might strike interest...

Bump!

I got stealthed a bottle of this in an order from Texas Creek---I initially thought it was apple (Ann challenged me to guess), but soursop was like my third guess :liar: ....well, it would have been if I'd ever heard of it...

This stuff is crazy good Definitely a pork sauce, Hawaiian pizza came to mind first, but anything from chops to ham to--hell--bacoon, this will compliment!

If I can get this fruit locally I want to try it with Aji Oros....

I found it in the freezer section at a store that has a lot of Hispanic customers. After this first test batch, I went back to the store for 6 or 8 more packages with the intent of using it for a hot sauce class.....then the lockdown happened. No hot sauce classes this year. :(

I knew it was a long shot for Stetto to guess, just having a little fun. Apparently, his Lovely guessed peanut butter....after a couple Fat Tires... :lol:

Back