• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sowing vs plantout times................

Angel...I started my first tray 9 January ...you are behind...roflmao..

Don't panic...you got plenty of time..

Fire Angel said:
you bastard ;)

REALLY?! What part of MO are you in... you are making me panic, that I should get mine in NOW!
I'm about an hour SE of Springfield. You better get with the program!:lol:

oh sweet mother of.........
Ok, this weekend it is. I just wasn't sure how to keep 50+ plants in my house till May first!

PS. No fair AJ you are in TX!

Fire Angel, my plant out date is first week or so of April, and I'm just now planting. Don't let the participants who use their dangly bits to think stampede you into planting before you're ready. Eight to ten weeks is the greatest of plenty to have nice large plants for setting out. If I start any sooner, I have plants that are too large for the space I have, and I have no way to give them proper light for that last week or two.

Pam said:
F Don't let the participants who use their dangly bits to think stampede you into planting before you're ready.

Hey now, if "dangly bits" weren't for thinking, why would they have a head on 'em?

:lol:

We have to wait...seems like forever to plant out...cuz peppers don't like the cold...end of May is maybe reliable if nightime temps in the 50's. Last year with all the rain it was middle of June and still took them a while to do much. I started the superhots already and working on more but Pam told you right. 8-10 weeks is good, count back from last frost date.

I actually use my "dangly bit" for something other than thinking, but all my peppers have been started for at least two weeks and some Bhuts for more than a month. And my FF day is May 15, though I can set them outside usually a couple of weeks earlier.

Some superhots take 150 days or so to produce pods and the growing season ends here in early-mid October at the latest. I don't want to wait until the middle of February to sow seeds so they will have "8-10 weeks" before transplanting.

JMO, YMMV,

Mike

wordwiz said:
Some superhots take 150 days or so to produce pods and the growing season ends here in early-mid October at the latest. I don't want to wait until the middle of February to sow seeds so they will have "8-10 weeks" before transplanting.

JMO, YMMV,

Mike

Oh, I'm just kidding around. As long as you have the space starting early is fine. Fire Angel said she wasn't sure she had the space, though, so it should be mentioned that you don't have to start this early.

When you start your seeds should depend on what variety you are planting. I have been told that Bhuts are 120 days and some other hot varieties are only 80 days. I am happy here...I got my first baby bhut yesterday. It is keeping nice and warm on a heating pad and have plenty of good light. Now if the rest would just sprout.

Fire Angel said:
How long before last frost do you all start most of your seeds?

Thanks
Kim

5 months, & I'm surprised MO has last frost in May cuz MN has last frost in mid to late May

pepperfever said:
We have to wait...seems like forever to plant out...cuz peppers don't like the cold...end of May is maybe reliable if nightime temps in the 50's. Last year with all the rain it was middle of June and still took them a while to do much. I started the superhots already and working on more but Pam told you right. 8-10 weeks is good, count back from last frost date.

yep last spring was a downer for garden growing. tomatoes & chiles were late to produce. as for the 8-10 wek theory is for those with a decent regular grow season & those that have grow stations to start the plants out. IMO the 8-10 week theory is abunch of BS for certain plants & peoples locations unless you dont want to harvest much.

you know what I'm talking about, we have at best 3.5 months of temps that are ideal for growing chiles outside. & the plants are still small. hence the reason why you & me both plant large numbers of chile plants, if we could grow larger plants like others here we wouldnt grow as many plants.

chilehunter said:
5 months, & I'm surprised MO has last frost in May cuz MN has last frost in mid to late May

I'm in Cincy and our FF day is May 15.

yep last spring was a downer for garden growing. tomatoes & chiles were late to produce. as for the 8-10 wek theory is for those with a decent regular grow season & those that have grow stations to start the plants out.

Yep, everything was late and it seemed like there was no real "harvest period" where I would get a half-bushel of toms or dozens of pods at a time.

IMO the 8-10 week theory is abunch of BS for certain plants & peoples locations unless you dont want to harvest much.

Park Seed sends me junk mail (I ordered seeds from them last year) and I think I see where this 8-10 week thing comes from. They suggest transplanting outside when they've developed their third set of true leaves. Duh - mine would have a canopy about the size of a beer can.

Mike

WW - the planting 8-10 weeks before last frost might be fine & dandy for the southern or coastline folks but that shit dont work here!
those people with shorter grow seasons need all the little extra time they can get when growing chiles/tomatoes & other veggies. I can only imagine what its like for the canuck's or swede's I feel sorry for ya trying to growing veggies.
potawie you amaze me every season with your chile plants!! they look great & produce far more than mine do.

last frost can be a killer, & it can come out of nowhere! a couple years ago everything was fine & dandy with nice warm temps nowhere near 32F, so people planted out.
then BAM below freezing temps came, alot of people lost veggies in the garden that year here.

wordwiz said:
Park Seed sends me junk mail (I ordered seeds from them last year) and I think I see where this 8-10 week thing comes from. They suggest transplanting outside when they've developed their third set of true leaves. Duh - mine would have a canopy about the size of a beer can.

Well, no, that's not true. Six to ten weeks before the last frost is pretty well accepted as the best time to start seeds indoors. Remember, most people don't have artificial lighting or more than a windowsill or two that gets much sun. If the plants are started any sooner, they'll be spindly, pot bound, and generally unhealthy by the time they finally get outside.

As a fanatic and more experienced grower you, of course, are going to do things differently. That doesn't invalidate the advice for the average gardener who just wants a unripe bell peppers and jalapenos.

Seriously, do you never have a neighbor or friend who looks at your set-up with complete amazement, or shakes their head and smiles tolerantly at all the hoopla you make over planting a few seeds?

Pam said:
Well, no, that's not true. Six to ten weeks before the last frost is pretty well accepted as the best time to start seeds indoors. Remember, most people don't have artificial lighting or more than a windowsill or two that gets much sun. If the plants are started any sooner, they'll be spindly, pot bound, and generally unhealthy by the time they finally get outside.

As a fanatic and more experienced grower you, of course, are going to do things differently. That doesn't invalidate the advice for the average gardener who just wants a unripe bell peppers and jalapenos.

Seriously, do you never have a neighbor or friend who looks at your set-up with complete amazement, or shakes their head and smiles tolerantly at all the hoopla you make over planting a few seeds?

Pam,

I'm not sure anyone except my immediate family has seen the set-up, except for the pictures I've posted. :shocked:

What surprised me was the suggestion that three sets of leaves are enough. Perhaps for those who believe that as long as the top of the roots are in dirt and having lots of stem showing, as opposed to planting to almost the bottom leaves, that might work. IME, if those plants get a beating rain - not unusual in May, the heart will be so close to the ground it will be covered in mud.

Yeah, it can be done, just as Park Seeds recommends putting the plants 12" apart in the garden (at least they recommend 30-36" rows).

Do you really think Park Seed or Reamers cares about how the plants grow? All they want is money.

Mike

Back