• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Spelling and pronunciation of "habanero"

I'm sure I probably pronounce the Indian superhots (Bhut Jolokia, Bih, Naga Morich) incorrectly. But then again, most people still wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about even if I was getting it right! :lol:

Public service announcement: There is no ñ in the word "habanero". :D I see it spelled this way on a lot of websites, even by people who know a lot about chile peppers. I see it spelled that way in a lot of grocery stores as well.

I also hear it mispronounced frequently too, often by experienced chile pepper people. It is pronounced "awe-bah-nair-oh". The letter h is always silent in Spanish and there is no ñ sound like in jalapeño.

I'm not trying to be a douchebag or pick nits, it's just a pet peeve of mine. :D

In response to the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dov3ZiVGWGk&feature=player_embedded

viewer "iClient" responded :

"i ate a slice of hajlepenue the other day and couldn't breght cuz it was so hot"

viewer "iClient" responded :

"i ate a slice of hajlepenue the other day and couldn't breght cuz it was so hot"

Yeah, I noticed that comment yesterday when I watched that video. :rofl: Now that is a butcher job. :yikes:

I couldn't "breght" from laughing so hard at that spelling. :lol:

Yeah, I noticed that comment yesterday when I watched that video. :rofl: Now that is a butcher job. :yikes:

I couldn't "breght" from laughing so hard at that spelling. :lol:

Similarly, I couldn't 'breght' from laughing at the notion of a slice(!) of 'hajlepenue' being too hot to handle for that individual :)

Back