• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

⌘ Spicegeist 2013 ⌘

Today we were walloped with a snowstorm in Southwest Virginia and since I was taking some pics of the snow I thought I'd also get started with sharing my pepper progress.

My 2013 selection:

C. chinense
Red Bhuts
Yellow Bhuts
Choco Bhuts
TS Morouga Blend
TS Butch T
7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot Brain Strain
7 Pot Yellow
Choco Hab
Morado
Pimenta Morango
Yellow Congo
Pimenta da Neyde
Cumari do Para

C. annuum
Sonoran Chiltepin
Vietnamese Tear Jerker
Peruvian Wild
Armac Chiltepin

C. galapagoense
sp.

C. chacoense
CAP 501

C. praetermissum
Cumari Pollux

C. baccatum
Uba Tuba

C. frutescens
Indiana Pequin
Duke Pequin
Donne Sali
Ekirike
Guam Boonie
Aji Chuncho
Piri Piri
Lotabih
Tabasco

C. parvifolium
sp.

C. pubescens
Rocoto Inca
Dino Pod

Crosses
Choco Bhut x Douglah F1
Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut F1
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1
Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore F1
CAP 501 (C. chacoense) x C. chinense F1
Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F1 and F2
Douglah x Butch T
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Cumari Pollux (C. praetermissum) F1
Locato x CGN19198
Florida Wild x C. chinense F1
Duke Pequin x Pimenta da Neyde
Duke Pequin x Bhut
Wiri Wiri x Bhut

Outside today:
IMG_20130117_165927.jpg

Pots for later on:
IMG_20130117_170321.jpg

Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F2... I wasn't counting on purple being so dominant here, will have to pick a few from these to grow out:
IMG_20130117_172447.jpg

Here are some of my 2013 treasures.

I was able to start four C. galapagoenses (they didn't all come up on the same date):
IMG_20130117_172339.jpg

IMG_20130117_173029.jpg

IMG_20130117_172955.jpg

IMG_20130117_172903.jpg

Some special crosses I made in 2011:

Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173255.jpg

Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut Jolokia (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173357.jpg

I was SOOOO close!  I didn't run out of "likes" until page 23!  I went from 0-12 last night and finished up tonight.  I cannot believe that I didn't stop in here earlier.  I am really interested in starting to develop some of my own crosses, and next season I am planning to plant the developmentals I have and then the plants that I want to work with to make more.  You have such a great GLog and there is so much knowledge in here.  I did have a few questions if you would be so kind to humor me. :)

As far as crossing goes, I have tried to go with selecting a closed flower on the mother plant, pulling the petals and pollen sacks, grabbing an open flower from the father, messing a bit with the pollen sacks to make sure that there is pollen present and rubbin the two together.  I haven't had anything stick yet (0 for about 25 or so I would say).  What is your normal success rate? Is there anything you see that you would recommend I change?

When you say that you use pollen from another plant to get it to pod, those seeds would then be crossed, correct?  So by doing that, how do you preserve the strain? Cuttings?

I set up for a Pimenta da Neyde X Bhut Jolokia F5 review tonight, but the pod ended up being way underripe.  Have you had any ripe pods yet, and do they go from black to red?  If so, how is the heat on them?  Also, have you tried any crosses with the Pimenta Morango?

I am sure that I will come up with all sorts of other crazy questions as the season continues...but that is all for now :)

MGOLD86 said:
I was SOOOO close!  I didn't run out of "likes" until page 23!  I went from 0-12 last night and finished up tonight.  I cannot believe that I didn't stop in here earlier.  I am really interested in starting to develop some of my own crosses, and next season I am planning to plant the developmentals I have and then the plants that I want to work with to make more.  You have such a great GLog and there is so much knowledge in here.  I did have a few questions if you would be so kind to humor me. :)

As far as crossing goes, I have tried to go with selecting a closed flower on the mother plant, pulling the petals and pollen sacks, grabbing an open flower from the father, messing a bit with the pollen sacks to make sure that there is pollen present and rubbin the two together.  I haven't had anything stick yet (0 for about 25 or so I would say).  What is your normal success rate? Is there anything you see that you would recommend I change?

When you say that you use pollen from another plant to get it to pod, those seeds would then be crossed, correct?  So by doing that, how do you preserve the strain? Cuttings?

I set up for a Pimenta da Neyde X Bhut Jolokia F5 review tonight, but the pod ended up being way underripe.  Have you had any ripe pods yet, and do they go from black to red?  If so, how is the heat on them?  Also, have you tried any crosses with the Pimenta Morango?

I am sure that I will come up with all sorts of other crazy questions as the season continues...but that is all for now :)

I have used Pimenta Morango pollen with a cross...  I'll PM you soon about the crossing stuff, have you started with the fatalii.net guide?  That's a good place to start.  I also have a ton of crosses I won't be growing, but which should be very promising if you want to grow any of them out.

I have a handful of crosses I've made, but which I probably won't be growing out next year.

Let me know if you have any interest in growing these in 2014:

Bhut x Y7 F2 #1
[Bhut x Y7] x [Choco Bhut x Douglah] F1
Choco Bhut x Douglah F2
Cumari do Para Cross
TSMB x Bhut F2
TSMB x Brainstrain F1
[Douglah x Butch T] x Superhot
[Morado x Douglah] x [Choco Bhut x Douglah] F1
[TSMB x Bhut] x [Choco Bhut x Douglah]
Aji Cristal x Brainstrain
Aji Cristal x Cumari Pollux

Very interesting variety. The Morich has always held a fascination for me.
Spicegeist said:
Naga Suomi (Naga Morich from Finland), I use the name to help me keep the varieties straight.  There are a number of "Naga Morich" around that look very different from each other.

Holy cow Charles!!! I miss a week and your glog looks like mine!!! :rofl: I could run out of likes here in just a minute or two...everything looks/sounds so amazing. Your crosses are too much...this x that X something x something else?!?!?!?! Quad crosses??? Now you're just plain showing off. 

One thing really piqued my interest though...tell me more about the Chintexle???

Nightshade said:
What does the do para cross taste like and how does it compare to a regular do para?

Very similar to the Cumari do Para... my hunch is that it crossed with a TS Yellow Cardi...

Dot Com said:
Very interesting variety. The Morich has always held a fascination for me.

I put one of these in the box I sent you, let me know what you think...

stc3248 said:
Holy cow Charles!!! I miss a week and your glog looks like mine!!! :rofl: I could run out of likes here in just a minute or two...everything looks/sounds so amazing. Your crosses are too much...this x that X something x something else?!?!?!?! Quad crosses??? Now you're just plain showing off. 

One thing really piqued my interest though...tell me more about the Chintexle???

Chintexle is a very productive little plant that puts out a lot of little pods... it works well for me because it doesn't seem to suffer as much in the shadier conditions I have here.

Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore F1 harvest, F2 should be interesting... just need to find a few people who might want to grow them out:

Beautiful Sonoran x Barrackpore cross Charles!  I would love to help you grow it, and the Cumari out.  I've been clinging to the thought that if I grow less it will be easier to sell my house and move when the time comes, whenever that is.  I offered to help Gary with a couple so I might as well offer my help to you too.

The words Matt spoke about crossing are pretty much my experience as well.  I used the Fataii guide initially.  I have a few pods that made this season so I will see what happens.

Thanks

Your crosses are really interesting!  I'm still very much a newb but I'm learning a lot and it sounds like you want some help growing some of your crosses next year?  What's the etiquette for volunteering?

capsidadburn said:
Beautiful Sonoran x Barrackpore cross Charles!  I would love to help you grow it, and the Cumari out.  I've been clinging to the thought that if I grow less it will be easier to sell my house and move when the time comes, whenever that is.  I offered to help Gary with a couple so I might as well offer my help to you too.

The words Matt spoke about crossing are pretty much my experience as well.  I used the Fataii guide initially.  I have a few pods that made this season so I will see what happens.

Thanks

You got it buddy, I'll wait until the season wraps up and see if there's anything else you might want to try.

Tigeris said:
Your crosses are really interesting!  I'm still very much a newb but I'm learning a lot and it sounds like you want some help growing some of your crosses next year?  What's the etiquette for volunteering?

Thanks, let's talk in a bit, when the season is nearly over, PM is usually a good way to go in general...

Spicegeist said:
They are very hot and juicy and have the aroma of the Barrackpore.  They are quite a bit stronger than the chiltepin, my hands are used to dealing with capsaicin, but these always make me regret messing with them... potent little peppers.
Sounds like a winner!

Yeah I cut peppers without gloves, never bothered me until I cut up a bunch of Reapers, the oil got under my fingernails...now that burned. The gloves are important to me for one reason, the oil doesn't wash off even after a few washings. And that can make for some uncomfortable moments later in the day..if you know what I mean ;)

Back