• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

⌘ Spicegeist 2013 ⌘

Today we were walloped with a snowstorm in Southwest Virginia and since I was taking some pics of the snow I thought I'd also get started with sharing my pepper progress.

My 2013 selection:

C. chinense
Red Bhuts
Yellow Bhuts
Choco Bhuts
TS Morouga Blend
TS Butch T
7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot Brain Strain
7 Pot Yellow
Choco Hab
Morado
Pimenta Morango
Yellow Congo
Pimenta da Neyde
Cumari do Para

C. annuum
Sonoran Chiltepin
Vietnamese Tear Jerker
Peruvian Wild
Armac Chiltepin

C. galapagoense
sp.

C. chacoense
CAP 501

C. praetermissum
Cumari Pollux

C. baccatum
Uba Tuba

C. frutescens
Indiana Pequin
Duke Pequin
Donne Sali
Ekirike
Guam Boonie
Aji Chuncho
Piri Piri
Lotabih
Tabasco

C. parvifolium
sp.

C. pubescens
Rocoto Inca
Dino Pod

Crosses
Choco Bhut x Douglah F1
Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut F1
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1
Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore F1
CAP 501 (C. chacoense) x C. chinense F1
Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F1 and F2
Douglah x Butch T
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Cumari Pollux (C. praetermissum) F1
Locato x CGN19198
Florida Wild x C. chinense F1
Duke Pequin x Pimenta da Neyde
Duke Pequin x Bhut
Wiri Wiri x Bhut

Outside today:
IMG_20130117_165927.jpg

Pots for later on:
IMG_20130117_170321.jpg

Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F2... I wasn't counting on purple being so dominant here, will have to pick a few from these to grow out:
IMG_20130117_172447.jpg

Here are some of my 2013 treasures.

I was able to start four C. galapagoenses (they didn't all come up on the same date):
IMG_20130117_172339.jpg

IMG_20130117_173029.jpg

IMG_20130117_172955.jpg

IMG_20130117_172903.jpg

Some special crosses I made in 2011:

Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173255.jpg

Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut Jolokia (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173357.jpg

Great shots Charles!
I'm growing Lotah Bih as well, the plants took forever to pod but are worth (i've already sampled some i've got with seeds and they're pretty hot for and flavorful for a frutescens).

Cya

Datil

Datil said:
Great shots Charles!
I'm growing Lotah Bih as well, the plants took forever to pod but are worth (i've already sampled some i've got with seeds and they're pretty hot for and flavorful for a frutescens).

Cya

Datil

Oh, fantastic.  I can't wait to try it.  Some people think it's the missing link that contributes the frutescens genes to the bhut... from the looks of it, I could believe it.  Maybe someone should play around crossing a Fatalii and a Lota Bih to see if they can recreat the bhut... ha, on second thought, you better be getting paid if you're going to be doing that kind of project ;) .

I'm mustering the courage to grow only bhuts in 2014... with just a couple of exceptions of course :liar:

I've been on a "peach" buzz lately since John (Pr0digal_son) sent me some Peach Jay's Scorpion the other week.  Definitely looking forward to growing some of these types.

Geist said:
Just caught up on your 2013 glog again. I can't wait for winter to be start and finish so I can start a new growing season.

I know what you mean.  Just a couple more months and it's basically time to get started with 2014...

I have a few seedlings started now but it's seed I got from people when I joined the fb groups and didn't know varieties and such.  Actually kind of scared to see what might come from them lol. 

The seed I got from here and a few people since who are known in the groups I plant to start in January indoors. 

This came from seed I got when I first done a couple swaps.  It struck me as off right away but I've been growing it anyways.  Possible the MG seed starting soil had seeds in it? Cause the pack of seed I used said Jonah 7 pot and they were clearly pepper seed. 
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/42668-seeds-said-7-pot-jonah-but-these-leaves-look-different-dont-they/

I was driving today and pondering the Bhut only season. I themed this past season and plan on doing so from now on. Space outside is always an issue and the appeal of growing superhot varieties that take up 15+ ft² per plant is getting in the way of me growing out more plants of greater interest to me. The superhot allure will always tug and pull at us I guess.

Bhut only would be cool. Plenty bhuts to still have a selection come dinner time. Would enjoy seeing what all you would grow!
I don't think i could do it. Too many tasty treats this season and more and more seeds in my possession. Gonna cut some from this years list but afraid the variety count for next season will not shrink. :crazy:

That's my goal eventually.  Next year grow as many varieties as I can so I can get an idea of what I like the most.  Then only grow those and a certain cross I plan on doing next year.

Spicegeist said:

Haha, that's what I thought I did last year... or was it the year before?  :think:
I can already tell it's easy to say that but hard to execute.  I do it now with corn, and tomatoes.  I grew like 8 varities of tomatoes this year when I only wanted to grow 3 lol

Every year it's the same thing, I plant too much.

But isn't that half the fun?

We wouldn't be doing it if we didn't like it. There's something about watching the plants grow and become productive.

Well, the first freeze of the season is official, it is 32° F right now and the predicted low tonight is 29°.  Tomorrow the low is supposed to be 25°.  I've brought in a few plants to consider overwintering and will clean up the remaining plants soon.

Back