• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

⌘ Spicegeist 2013 ⌘

Today we were walloped with a snowstorm in Southwest Virginia and since I was taking some pics of the snow I thought I'd also get started with sharing my pepper progress.

My 2013 selection:

C. chinense
Red Bhuts
Yellow Bhuts
Choco Bhuts
TS Morouga Blend
TS Butch T
7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot Brain Strain
7 Pot Yellow
Choco Hab
Morado
Pimenta Morango
Yellow Congo
Pimenta da Neyde
Cumari do Para

C. annuum
Sonoran Chiltepin
Vietnamese Tear Jerker
Peruvian Wild
Armac Chiltepin

C. galapagoense
sp.

C. chacoense
CAP 501

C. praetermissum
Cumari Pollux

C. baccatum
Uba Tuba

C. frutescens
Indiana Pequin
Duke Pequin
Donne Sali
Ekirike
Guam Boonie
Aji Chuncho
Piri Piri
Lotabih
Tabasco

C. parvifolium
sp.

C. pubescens
Rocoto Inca
Dino Pod

Crosses
Choco Bhut x Douglah F1
Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut F1
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1
Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore F1
CAP 501 (C. chacoense) x C. chinense F1
Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F1 and F2
Douglah x Butch T
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Cumari Pollux (C. praetermissum) F1
Locato x CGN19198
Florida Wild x C. chinense F1
Duke Pequin x Pimenta da Neyde
Duke Pequin x Bhut
Wiri Wiri x Bhut

Outside today:
IMG_20130117_165927.jpg

Pots for later on:
IMG_20130117_170321.jpg

Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F2... I wasn't counting on purple being so dominant here, will have to pick a few from these to grow out:
IMG_20130117_172447.jpg

Here are some of my 2013 treasures.

I was able to start four C. galapagoenses (they didn't all come up on the same date):
IMG_20130117_172339.jpg

IMG_20130117_173029.jpg

IMG_20130117_172955.jpg

IMG_20130117_172903.jpg

Some special crosses I made in 2011:

Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173255.jpg

Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut Jolokia (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173357.jpg

Sorry the freeze hit Charles. Is it an early one, or normal?

Growing up in NY and at one time living 8+ hours further south in Manassas Va. I was surprised as heck at just how cold it gets there, the snow just wouldn't melt all winter. What I didn't realize at the time was Long Island weather was buffered by the water. 19 months there and then back to Tejas, I'd just spent too many years here....the heat can be a bummer but from late Sept. to early May is fantastic weather.

Have a great weekend!

Spicegeist said:
Well, the first freeze of the season is official, it is 32° F right now and the predicted low tonight is 29°.  Tomorrow the low is supposed to be 25°.  I've brought in a few plants to consider overwintering and will clean up the remaining plants soon.
Yeah crazy cold snap, I am going to spray all the plants with water again tonight. I avoided all damage last night....fingers crossed!

Devv said:
Sorry the freeze hit Charles. Is it an early one, or normal?

Growing up in NY and at one time living 8+ hours further south in Manassas Va. I was surprised as heck at just how cold it gets there, the snow just wouldn't melt all winter. What I didn't realize at the time was Long Island weather was buffered by the water. 19 months there and then back to Tejas, I'd just spent too many years here....the heat can be a bummer but from late Sept. to early May is fantastic weather.

Have a great weekend!

The weather here can be pretty variable, but it was just a two-day period of cold, it'll warm up a bit now to lows in the 40s and even 50s.  I was procrastinating a bit with closing down the season, but the cold snap got me into gear.

Sad to read your season is coming to an end but I’m sure you’ll have all kinds of radical pepper stuff going on for everyone next season.

Hope you have a great winter & Hab a great day!

WalkGood said:
Sad to read your season is coming to an end but I’m sure you’ll have all kinds of radical pepper stuff going on for everyone next season.

Hope you have a great winter & Hab a great day!

It's actually a relief.  I overextended myself.  My next step is to figure out how to efficiently disperse the seed I want to share.

Had to do a bit of catch up, lookin great Charles!  That Douglah X Choc bhut is HUUGE!  When you took the photo with it on your hand it really put it into perspective, massive!

Sucks about the cold, but if you are like me, you are a little happy it is finally over.  I got hit with a frost last week and managed to save 4 potted plants.  I am considering OW them, but I don't know if I wanna put in the work.  I may just bring them in and out until they quit on me.  I got a freezer full of pods to mess with anyways. 

I am sure I couldn't do a bhut only season....I am having a tough time already honing on a list under the 100 mark.  There is just so much out there that needs to be grown!!

MGOLD86 said:
Had to do a bit of catch up, lookin great Charles!  That Douglah X Choc bhut is HUUGE!  When you took the photo with it on your hand it really put it into perspective, massive!

Sucks about the cold, but if you are like me, you are a little happy it is finally over.  I got hit with a frost last week and managed to save 4 potted plants.  I am considering OW them, but I don't know if I wanna put in the work.  I may just bring them in and out until they quit on me.  I got a freezer full of pods to mess with anyways. 

I am sure I couldn't do a bhut only season....I am having a tough time already honing on a list under the 100 mark.  There is just so much out there that needs to be grown!!

I also brought in a bunch of potential overwinters, not sure how many I want to keep.  I've got my grow list way down... still don't have a final count though...

I've only just had a catch-up skim but it looks like it's been quite the season for you, Charles! Some really nice pods I saw there.

You seem to have ended up with 50,000 more plants since the last time I checked in?? lol

gasificada said:
I've only just had a catch-up skim but it looks like it's been quite the season for you, Charles! Some really nice pods I saw there.

You seem to have ended up with 50,000 more plants since the last time I checked in?? lol

Ha, well, now I've only got a handful of pruned plants left.  At this point I've narrowed my 2014 list down to 11 varieties and 23 plants.  I'll stick to that more or less, I have a few I've already started and will probably attempt to germinate a few C. galapagoense crosses I made this year.

Spicegeist said:
Ha, well, now I've only got a handful of pruned plants left.  At this point I've narrowed my 2014 list down to 11 varieties and 23 plants.  I'll stick to that more or less, I have a few I've already started and will probably attempt to germinate a few C. galapagoense crosses I made this year.

11 varieties, 23 plants.... and the rest. :P

I am keen to see the C. galapagoense crosses, Charles! Are you giving away the names of the other parents? I have a little galapago going ATM but I'm not so sure how well she's gonna fare in the rough grow environment here.

gasificada said:

11 varieties, 23 plants.... and the rest. :P

I am keen to see the C. galapagoense crosses, Charles! Are you giving away the names of the other parents? I have a little galapago going ATM but I'm not so sure how well she's gonna fare in the rough grow environment here.

Sure, I have one Galapa x Naga Suomi and two Galapa x Bhut... but they're still green pods on the galapa parent, so who knows what will happen.  I also have three seeds from a galapa fruit pollinated with my choco bhut x douglah that have been sitting in dirt for over a month, I'm thinking they won't germinate, but who knows...  I do have a handful of others I may start outdoors once things heat up, just for the heck of it ;)

Charles, how was the growth on your galapas? Did it grow tall and bushy or short and bushy, just curious to how the ones i have will turn out...

Portuge said:
Charles, how was the growth on your galapas? Did it grow tall and bushy or short and bushy, just curious to how the ones i have will turn out...

The plant was pretty large.  I'm overwintering it and didn't prune it at all, I'll take a pic when it's sunny.

Spicegeist said:
Sure, I have one Galapa x Naga Suomi and two Galapa x Bhut... but they're still green pods on the galapa parent, so who knows what will happen.  I also have three seeds from a galapa fruit pollinated with my choco bhut x douglah that have been sitting in dirt for over a month, I'm thinking they won't germinate, but who knows...  I do have a handful of others I may start outdoors once things heat up, just for the heck of it ;)

I hope they are fertile, it will be cool to see! I have a few C. annuum varieties in mind that I would like to cross it with but at this point, I'll be happy to just see a normal galapago pod first. ;)

I'd love to grow a cross or two of a lower heat if you have any.  Or something you don't see every day on these boards.  :)  I mentioned one of your crosses a few pages back but can't remember which it was.  I'll have to go look

this one
Aji Cristal x Cumari Pollux

Browning said:
I'd love to grow a cross or two of a lower heat if you have any.  Or something you don't see every day on these boards.  :)  I mentioned one of your crosses a few pages back but can't remember which it was.  I'll have to go look

this one
Aji Cristal x Cumari Pollux

Sure, PM me your address...

Back