• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2014 - The Year of the Bhut

This year I'm growing primarily bhut/naga types.

Not much to look at now, but thought I'd kick things off since I'm already starting seeds:

Here's my list:
  1. Red Bhut
  2. Choco Bhut
  3. Yellow Bhut
  4. Peach Bhut
  5. Shabu Jolokia
  6. Naga King
  7. Naga Morich
  8. Naga Suomi
  9. Dorset Naga
  10. Guwahati Bhut
  11. Pale Bhut / Bih Jolokia
  12. Jay's Peach
  13. Fatalii
  14. Lota Bih
  15. C. galapagoense

Spicegeist said:

Looking good... maybe you should try one of my donne sali crosses next year ;)

I appreciate the offer Charles, but I think I'll pass... things have tightened up considerably in the finances and I think I'm gonna have to plant many more veggies and fewer chiles next year.

Your wilds, Bhuts and crosses are looking grade-a for sure! The Shabu looked quite a bit like Stefan's white/purple Pimenta Lisa... any similarities?

Datil said:
I've been there Charles, maybe just scale down your grow a bit. I'm sure that pepper growing and 'real life' can go on together (my newborn son tried to convince me of the opposite in the past season ;) ).

Good luck!

Datil

Great looking little black naga!

Yeah, you're probably right about that.  Maybe just a couple of plants.  Cold turkey might be uncalled for...
stickman said:

I appreciate the offer Charles, but I think I'll pass... things have tightened up considerably in the finances and I think I'm gonna have to plant many more veggies and fewer chiles next year.

Your wilds, Bhuts and crosses are looking grade-a for sure! The Shabu looked quite a bit like Stefan's white/purple Pimenta Lisa... any similarities?

I understand.... as for the shabu, it's from jedisushi, but as far as I know it's just another straight bhut-type pepper.

Thanks guys.  Maybe I'm just a hard core pepper addict and I can't break free?  Lol, well, I'll at least grow two or three plants for next year... and we all know how that goes ;)

I just harvested a bunch of Jay's Peach Scorpion tonight.  That might be my favorite pepper this year, they look so amazing with that peach color.  The shapes and size are fantastic too.  I'll take a pic tomorrow in better light.  I crossed a peach bhut with one of these... might be one of the plants I grow next year.  The peach plants were a pain to get going, big floppy leaves, flowers with not enough pollen at first, etc., but once they hit their stride they were great...

I jumped in late on your Grow Charles,in time I will back up to your start.Good and informative is all I can say.I started last year,and the only bhut I grew was the Choco ghost.It's one of my favorites.That choco bhut that crossed with one of my 7-pot reds.it is one of my top 2 plants this year.
      I wish ya well on any plans you have in the future.
Hope you don't mind me showing a pic of the crossed pod
2014-08-20 013.JPG

PIC 1 said:
Charles, how tall is the Galapagense that's putting out the red chili's ?

I kept it in a 1-gallon pot, lol, so it's only about a foot and a half tall at the moment.  It is getting very woody...

I should mention, I also have an overwinter that's probably 4-feet tall at the moment.  Probably won't keep it another winter though.

randyp said:
     I jumped in late on your Grow Charles,in time I will back up to your start.Good and informative is all I can say.I started last year,and the only bhut I grew was the Choco ghost.It's one of my favorites.That choco bhut that crossed with one of my 7-pot reds.it is one of my top 2 plants this year.
      I wish ya well on any plans you have in the future.
Hope you don't mind me showing a pic of the crossed pod
attachicon.gif
2014-08-20 013.JPG

That's an awesome pod, very cool!

maximumcapsicum said:
Love the Bhuts Charles! Everything is looking great. So far I am getting the most use out of reds and carbones. You got a favorite bhut this year?

Thanks... well, the flavor on a few of them is quite similar, so any of them will do.  But I have one that is like a giant Naga Morich that produces the largest, hottest, and bhuttiest pods, so that might be one of my favorites.  The Guwahati was putting out some nice pods... I did a little breeding with that plant this season too, so I have an "improved" version on it's way... or I may just cross every bhut type I grow each year and end up with something very unique.

That Guwahati looks very significant.... :dance:
...as to next year , good luck, but I think you will need a little :hell: to clear out the brain strain. The little devils do make for quite a distraction at times.

he,he....like right now...as I'm at work.

gnslngr said:
That Guwahati looks very significant.... :dance:
...as to next year , good luck, but I think you will need a little :hell: to clear out the brain strain. The little devils do make for quite a distraction at times.

he,he....like right now...as I'm at work.

Yes, true.  Maybe it's just the end of the season thing where I want all my plants gone... a clean slate.

Here are some from today.

Jay's Peach Scorpion plate:
15011517622_6e61399808_b.jpg

Jay's Peach up close, this shot better captures the true color:
15008791801_1415bf4e38_b.jpg

The inside of a Choco Bhut:
15011531422_cf92952c50_b.jpg

Fatalii, I mean this has to be one of the ancestors of bhuts and nagas, right?:
14826916480_ddf821378c_b.jpg

14826830969_daf231e527_b.jpg

Those look good, I had a Jay's last year but can't remember any difference from the peach bhut. I did like that light color on the pods.

Hey Charles I thought I might ask but not sure if you want. If you say you're not going to OW any plants, have you considered shipping them? If you do lmk I'll pay for shipping if you do. I know some make it and some don't but it's worth a shot if you like to.

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:
Those look good, I had a Jay's last year but can't remember any difference from the peach bhut. I did like that light color on the pods.

Hey Charles I thought I might ask but not sure if you want. If you say you're not going to OW any plants, have you considered shipping them? If you do lmk I'll pay for shipping if you do. I know some make it and some don't but it's worth a shot if you like to.

-Walt

The Jay's Peach and the Peach Bhuts I'm growing are very different.  Very different shape, slightly different color, and the taste is very different.  The peach bhuts taste a lot better... so the cross might be interesting.

Hm, shipping plants to overwinter, interesting idea... that might be a possibility...

Lol Walter your not the only one thinking that. Wouldn't mind getting that galapa and cdp x dn sali cross... Dreaming here guys, cost a pretty penny to ship em over to us...

You get dibs Portuge, Lol. I'll let you choose first. I have a galapagoense so I'm good and the one I'm eyeballing is the CAP 501 x Bhut which I think Charles still have it? Lol Idk I just thought of it being cool of keeping some of those varieties going. Or lota bih since I want to try more frutescens next year.

Overall it's up to Charles and I offer to pay for shipping :D.

-Walt

Still have to try those, cap501 xbhuts. Picked em and set em aside for seed stock, have to double check my plant and see how the remaining pods are doing... As for the galapa, currently have two growing. One in a 4 gal bucket and the other planted inground and for awhile there the one in the bucket had set several pods. With this triple digit heat we've been having they dried up and fell off. Since then I've sown 9 galapa seeds and not a single sprout yet, I do have 6 cdpx dn sali sprouts and 5 or 6 sonoran tepin x 7pot barrackpore f3 sprouts.. I must resist sowing any more till christmas.

Portuge said:
Lol Walter your not the only one thinking that. Wouldn't mind getting that galapa and cdp x dn sali cross... Dreaming here guys, cost a pretty penny to ship em over to us...

Well, with the crosses, it's better to start a new generation of seed, to keep things going...

Vegas_Chili said:
You get dibs Portuge, Lol. I'll let you choose first. I have a galapagoense so I'm good and the one I'm eyeballing is the CAP 501 x Bhut which I think Charles still have it? Lol Idk I just thought of it being cool of keeping some of those varieties going. Or lota bih since I want to try more frutescens next year.

Overall it's up to Charles and I offer to pay for shipping :D.

-Walt

I have islated Lota Bih seed from this year, but I think a few got it to grow true.  I haven't checked in a while, but I think capsidadburn has some he grew from seed I sent him...

Portuge said:
Still have to try those, cap501 xbhuts. Picked em and set em aside for seed stock, have to double check my plant and see how the remaining pods are doing... As for the galapa, currently have two growing. One in a 4 gal bucket and the other planted inground and for awhile there the one in the bucket had set several pods. With this triple digit heat we've been having they dried up and fell off. Since then I've sown 9 galapa seeds and not a single sprout yet, I do have 6 cdpx dn sali sprouts and 5 or 6 sonoran tepin x 7pot barrackpore f3 sprouts.. I must resist sowing any more till christmas.

It's good you have those plants going.  I have two I started over the summer which I'll be keeping alive over the winter.

jedisushi06 said:
Those Shabu's look perfect!  That damn black naga is seriously hot!

Great.  They're pretty uniform on that plant, all about 2.5 inches long, very nice aroma... I have isolated seed from that plant if you want me to send some back your way...

Back