• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2014 - The Year of the Bhut

This year I'm growing primarily bhut/naga types.

Not much to look at now, but thought I'd kick things off since I'm already starting seeds:

Here's my list:
  1. Red Bhut
  2. Choco Bhut
  3. Yellow Bhut
  4. Peach Bhut
  5. Shabu Jolokia
  6. Naga King
  7. Naga Morich
  8. Naga Suomi
  9. Dorset Naga
  10. Guwahati Bhut
  11. Pale Bhut / Bih Jolokia
  12. Jay's Peach
  13. Fatalii
  14. Lota Bih
  15. C. galapagoense

Datil said:
Because of this fat pods shots I've some shabu seeds coming in my mail LOL
In case of issues i'll beg you for a couple seeds guys :)

Cya

Datil

Sure, I've got seed saved from two plants I grew out... they had different pods...

Peach Bhuts harvested today, next to some of the Jay's Peach Scorpion pods in the above pic:
15055978552_a9e611829e_b.jpg

Inside the Peach Bhut:
14870724518_872b0cc6b3_b.jpg

They look so good!!  My peach bhuts just started turning the other day.  Tons of them turning now.  Ill have to get some pics up in my GLOG, they are not as fat as the ones on the left in the picture above. 

JoeFish said:
They look so good!!  My peach bhuts just started turning the other day.  Tons of them turning now.  Ill have to get some pics up in my GLOG, they are not as fat as the ones on the left in the picture above. 

These were pretty consistent in their pod shape.  Let me know if you want to grow these next year...

Spicegeist said:

Peach Bhuts harvested today, next to some of the Jay's Peach Scorpion pods in the above pic:

I can't really decide wich one is more beautiful and i will grow next year (not both).
Do you find significant differencies in taste? Jay should be more bitter right?

Essegi said:
I can't really decide wich one is more beautiful and i will grow next year (not both).
Do you find significant differencies in taste? Jay should be more bitter right?

Yes, you're right.  The Peach Bhut has a better flavor in my opinion, but the Jay's Peach pods were more interesting and the plant was a lot more productive.

I crossed these two, but have no idea if this cross will also have the "peach" color...

Spicegeist said:
I crossed these two, but have no idea if this cross will also have the "peach" color...
Sounds like a killer cross!
I've got shabu shabu seeds today :) too bad i must wait till next season to sow LOL

Cya

Datil

Here are pods from three different F2 plants (where you see a lot of diversity) of my Cumari do Para x Donne Sali:

14881004129_26caf1b98a_b.jpg

The yellow really seem like a cross between both of them, they're just very yellow.  The orange are like little golden Donne Salis, they're very hot.  The reds have definitely inherited more of the chinense genes, the plant grows like a monster and the pods are crunchier and :hot: .

Inside the reds, so you can see how it looks more chinense-like:
15067335732_588d2fec71_b.jpg

I'd love to have more help growing these out in 2015, just let me know if you're interested.

Here are pods from three different F2 plants (where you see a lot of diversity) of my Cumari do Para x Donne Sali:

14881004129_26caf1b98a_b.jpg

The yellow really seem like a cross between both of them, they're just very yellow.  The orange are like little golden Donne Salis, they're very hot.  The reds have definitely inherited more of the chinense genes, the plant grows like a monster and the pods are crunchier and :hot: .

Inside the reds, so you can see how it looks more chinense-like:
15067335732_588d2fec71_b.jpg

I'd love to have more help growing these out in 2015, just let me know if you're interested.

Nice!!! So you have 2 yellow phenos from this cross? Which one is better or which one do you like more?

I'll definitely grow them out, if I qualify. Lol. I have a CAP 501 x Donne sali F2 and true leaves are coming in so it's time to check for any difference.

-Walt

One is orange, the other is yellow.  The yellow is a great producer, both are interesting...  I guess it just depends on whether you like yellow or orange ;)

I was suspect about whether the CAP 502 x Donne Sali really took or not because it looked so much like a chacoense.

One is orange, the other is yellow.  The yellow is a great producer, both are interesting...  I guess it just depends on whether you like yellow or orange ;)

I was suspect about whether the CAP 502 x Donne Sali really took or not because it looked so much like a chacoense.

I could try both orange and yellow if that's ok with you.

I'm eager to see what comes up on that cross, like I said before even if it's a chacöense it should be a pretty nice one because of the teeth on the calyx.

Here's the Tepin x 7 pot Btw. Since I took it out it stayed outside and it got big. I couldn't take it out very easy, luckily I didn't snap a branch. Now it's flowering again but seems to have trouble making pollen. The flowers look bigger too, so maybe bigger pods? Idk we'll see.

-Walt

I think I liked the peach bhut a bit better than Jay's peach GS last season. Both good though.
I had two off shapes of the peach bhuts, one huge that is growing the same again this season. Neat pods that are just giant. Same taste between the off shapes and the true pods.

Things are slowing down in my garden, but there's still some activity.

Peach Bhuts:
15296465771_f30b9978a6_b.jpg

I grew out a few bhuts from pepperlover Judy, this one turned out nice.  The pods aren't that long because of the cooler temps I think, but they're definitely not crossed with anything:
15296472761_284195e102_b.jpg

15113069227_4b5d43f33e_b.jpg

Peach Scorpions, great pods and a very productive plant:
15299274992_867dc86cc2_b.jpg

Another one of my bhuts, these are delicious:
15112895699_0d31a37b21_b.jpg

Guwahati Bhut, also very nice:
15276637716_4796a84e55_b.jpg

Back