• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Spiciest Dish You've Had At a Restaurant

This was lunch today
Grilled Octopus and Conch salad with tomatoes, cucumber, scallions, and jalapenos in a spicy Thai chili sauce with a mix of Thai chili and scorpion pepper powder.... amazing! In the top 3 of spiciest things I have eaten in a restaurant
60E799E3-0B35-4D63-A817-0D4C7D8DEE90.jpeg

Years ago (1997?) in Mukilteo WA, was a place called Marco Polo's. An Indian/Italian restaurant that was family owned. We were there with my in-laws for dinner. My FIL and me always liked to challenge each other with heat. When the waiter (whom appeared to be the son) came to take our order, he asked what heat level we wanted our Curry Chicken.. "1 to 5". We asked how hot he ate it and he said "11". Whelp, that's what we ordered... 11 ! , It came with some fresh Jalapeño Cucumber Yogurt Riatta and hot Naan bread. OMG that was one of the best meals I ever ate. The first bite didn't seem that hot but about 5 bites in to that curry the sweat started and the num-nums started to build. The hotter it got, the faster I ate, and the flavor was so damm good I just couldn't/wouldn't stop. The best heat on the planet is the kind that builds like that IMO. After dinner I had to walk around the parking lot and sit in the car for a few minutes before I could drive, and we had zero alcohol. I sure wish that place was still open, I have been chasing that heat and that red curry flavor ever since.

Ive eaten many spicy curries and its just one of those foods you cant stop even when its peaking past your tolerance. At my favorite Indian place i keep a cup of apples in a mango lassi type mixture on the table. A spoonful or two tames the burn instantly. Its one of the deserts they offer on the buffet. At Simply Thai you have to just deal with it and keep shoveling this lava down. Sweet iced coffee or their special tea is the only relief.

Even the best Chinese places in town dont get close to the heat level. No matter how many times you tell them you like spicy. Only way it starts to get painful is if they know me or i bring a Asian friend that loves Sichuan or Hunan styles. Have him order and its pretty good heat but still not like serious Thai or Indian food. "Number 5" at any Thai place worth a damn is pretty freaking hot for most people.

D3monic said:
Can't say i've had anything overly spicy eating out. At least not without sacrificing flavor. 

I'm trying to think too... I've even had the phaal at Brick Lane, which is a challenge, but it was like a medium to me lol.

ako1974 said:
Didn't eat, but happened to see this last night on Burgers, Brew, and Que...they're claiming the world's hottest cheeseburger/hot dog.
http://damngoodfoodcoldassbeer.com/mti/index.html#anchor-u2095

My absolute favorite part of that menu?  

The "Take your YELP and SHOVE IT" on the bottom right of the page.  

As a food service worker that deals with Yelp, their asshat reviews and continuous high pressure sales tactics, every part of Yelp sucks armadillo ass.

SmokenFire said:
The Kanabo ramen at High Five Ramen in the west loop.  The menu actually asks you to "Please don't order this without careful consideration".  I laughed a laugh full of "I am not caring how spicy you think this is, I am SnF and all your spices are belong to me you bearded hipsters!".  (in truth I was lordly drunk on whiskey and it was after midnight)

About 30 minutes later I was streaming from eyes and nose, had the eyebrow sweats something fierce and (sadly) I was completely sober.  Everyone at our table tasted the Kanabo I ordered and recoiled in fear and haste.  I wouldn't recommend it to many, but it's likely most around here would be mighty satisfied with such a dish. (not my pic)

yo, have you tried the monster hell challenge at strings? they make you sign a waiver, lol

DtmYhta.jpg

i was the 12th person to do it in about 5 years / 1k challengers. they don't keep track of times, but they said i was probably the fastest (at 9min36s out of allotted 20min).

i prepared for it by cheweing up scorps all day and spitting them out. when i sat down for the bowl, it wasn't very hot. my bro took a video of me doing the challenge, and i was shocked to see my face didn't even look sweaty.

my other secret technique was asking for a glass of ice instead of water (they only let you have one tiny cup with no refills). right at the start, i dumped my ice into the ramen bowl to cool it down. then i ate all the solids and chugged the broth using the empty cup. i probably could have done it in less than 9 minutes if i had to really push myself, but i took little breaks to crack jokes etc.

they took a pic of me at the end for their instagram, but they never posted my ugly mug on there :rofl:
whereas this guy made the cut https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp5YWp6FWke/

i felt fine for a few hours and thought i had avoided cap cramps and indigestion, but damn was i wrong. there was a thick layer of chili oil in that ramen bowel. basically i pissed out of my ass like 5x until it was mostly all gone, and then i was hit with nausea. i didn't make it to the bathroom, so i puked into a desk wastebin while standing up and soiling my britches. not my most dignified moment. also, the ramen puke was way hotter than at the restaurant probably because my mouth had hours to re-sensitize. after rinsing out the wastebin, i noticed it was coated with red oil and had to use a bunch of soap. i felt fine after a shower and was able to pass out, but clearly my body didn't want to process all that oil lol

in retrospect, the free meal, tshirt, and $50 gift certificate weren't really worth it

I got a chicken Tikka masala dish from a local Indian place and on a scale of 1-10, got a 10. It was reasonably hot, but no 10. The next time I ordered it, I told my waiter it was 10/10 last time, I want to see what it's like at 20. Best dish, hottest dish by far I've ever had, and the extra heat only seemed to help accentuate the flavors.

I've successfully stopped myself from throwing up super hots every sober time I've eaten them, with or without food.

There was once I was too drunk and I didn't enjoy Devil's Brain mixed with stomach acid eating my throat.

I wish I could find places in my area that serve truly hot stuff. So far I'd have to say the Blazin' Wing Challenge at Buffalo Wild Wings. Tasted great, though.

Chinese Dragon, Fountain Hills AZ,1997 or 98. There was a bowl of little red what I thought were toothpicks on our table. It was my first visit, I was unaware how hot Chinese food could be. It felt like someone put a hot fireplace poker through my cheek.

Still hurt the next day.

When I was working in Columbus,OH we used to go to a hole in the wall type restaurant called 'Enas Caribbean Kitchen' every Wednesday without fail.
They have best jerk I ate in my life. You can order extra sauce and extra spicy.
Mrs. Ena knows I like it hot and I complain its not spicy enough. So she used to test me from time to time with extra scotch bonnets.. God I miss those days.
If you live in Columbus or visit Columbus, don't miss a chance to visit Enas

https://enascaribbeankitchen.com/menu

Also, I don't remember the name of the restaurant but I went to Kansas city for my brother's graduation and after that we went to a Thai place nearby.
It had very good reviews. Food was awesome and the Tom yum gong ( I ordered extra hot) blew me away.

Two places for me.....it's hard to pick the better one here as they were two times of food and two different types of heat.

One place was Wings n' Curls in Hollywood Florida which closed a few years ago. They had wings in their homemade Scotch Bonnet sauce called Caribbean Hellfire and also covered in fresh garlic. The flavor was great and after 10 wings there would be a wicked fire in your mouth and throat. My coworkers and I ate there all the time and one day we jokingly told the server to actually make the wings spicy this time. She goes to the kitchen and comes back a minute or two later and asks "The wings weren't hot enough? Are you sure?" For some stupid reason we told her last weeks wings seemed mild and to do it. Long story short, the food is brought out by the chef who is snickering. Out of the three of us that were there I was the first to tap out at 3 wings. I was hiccuping so bad that I couldn't even attempt to swallow another bite and that was fine because I literally felt like I had swallowed ignited napalm. One coworker went 7 wings in before quitting and the last made it through all 10 and looked as though he was going to collapse and die at any moment. Turns out the chef was a chilehead and had pure cap in the kitchen for his own wings. When we made the comments, a healthy splash of pure cap went in the sauce before the wings were tossed. I miss that place and never criticized the heat again.

The second is Bangkok Bangkok, a Thai restaurant that is still open in Kendall Florida. They had some of the best curry and shrimp in garlic sauce I've ever had. They had a heat range of 1-5 stars. After eating there for years and requesting 5 stars, we asked if there was anything hotter. The server responds that the chef does make a 6 star heat level for some of his braver customers. 6 stars was perfect when combined with some Thai chiles in fish sauce. The heat was brutal with about 30 minutes of afterburn. I would recommend that place to anyone in the area that loves Thai food and a lot of heat.

Death Burger at Jack the Rooster restaurant in Tampere, Finland. They use sauces from a company called Poppamies (Medicine Man in Finnish), which is owned and operated by a friend of mine. Poppamies is now the largest hot sauce company in Finland and is starting to spread out international as well - they have also won some awards at BBQ shows in the USA last year.

Restaurant and Menu (In Finnish):

http://jacktherooster.fi/ruokalista/

Back