• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Spicy cheese sauce

Hi actually im making hot cheese sauce but i think it is not suitable because i tried to lower the pH untill 4.0 by adding citric acid unfortunately taste of creamy cheese is kinda gone..before this im using vinegar because it was really sour then i tried change to citric acid cause i read it doesnt change the flavour but its still change the flavour..is there any way to make my hot cheese sauce pH lower than 4.0 but not changing the taste and flavour?

Are you selling this? Making it for yourself? Giving it away?

The reason I'm asking is because if youre just making it for you then I wouldn't worry about it. Make it, fridge it, eat it.

If you're giving it away or selling it, well then that's a different story.

Cheese makers can add different things to enhance cheese flavor, prolong shelf life etc.

Check this out it's a PDF from sargento that is filled with good info.

It's a big scary link but I download it on my phone.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.foodprocessing.com/assets/Media/MediaManager/sargento_cheese_sauces_101.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiz85fT6-flAhUDvVkKHd3pBToQFjAJegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0tPcc77ZZtW3cdz1IJX_cx

Actually at first i just making just for me to eat with fries and nugget..then one day i served my friend fries with my sauce and they loved it.. they the one who give me idea to sell it...thats why i start to search on hw to preserve it but its really hard to maintain the flavour when the pH is low..ty for the link i will read it ^^

I'd make it, jar it, and put in fridge. Give it to your friends and tell them to refrigerate. It will be okay left out for awhile. Didn't you take cheese sandwiches to school as a kid, or mac n cheese to a BBQ? ;)

I'd go for the refrigerated version for now.  In the US, lots of products can be made and sold as a refrigerated item with widely varying shelf lives.  From Alfredo and marinara sauces, to soups, salsas, mustards, mashed potatoes and yes...MacnCheese! 

Make it and give it away refrigerated to get the basics of the sauce ironed out.  Then if you want to go into legal production, you may need to consult with the licensing inspectors or maybe even consider a copacker. 

Have fun!
SL

If youre making a sauce to sell, you likely have to make it in a commercial FDA-approved kitchen. You can have your home kitchen inspected, but good luck. My friend, who makes Speedy Hot Sauces, started by renting out the kitchen at the bar he worked at when he got started. If you find a restaurant that closes Sundays or Mondays, etc. theyll likely allow you to cook there for a small percentage of your profits.

Back