• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse Spicy Chicken's grow room and greenhouse makeover

Started to get some of the exterior wall started and the last stringers on the deck,

After the interior is some what completed I will be building the grow light cabinets and the drier. Stay Tuned and thanks for looking! Cheers, SC

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0254.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0255.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0256.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0257.jpg

This has nothing to do with the build but can you tell me why in a multi quote when I start typing below the first quote it eats up the letters from the second quote?

Good to hear from you buddy!!:dance:
Sorry SC, but I haven't got a clue.....

Just hit MultiQuote on the posts you want to quote, then hit Add Reply, and there is spacing in between the quotes for your words. :)
And then just like the Lone Ranger ....Voila'
Hardly a day goes by...that I don't learn something new on THP.
Thanks for the "How to" ...THP Admin.
CM

Sorry SC, but I haven't got a clue.....

And then just like the Lone Ranger ....Voila'
Hardly a day goes by...that I don't learn something new on THP.
Thanks for the "How to" ...THP Admin.
CM

Funny,

I learned that the first day I joined! guess Dan didn't read or understand the question! owell must be a glitch, I have a screen recorder for the next time it happens :lol:

Thanks CM

In these pics I managed to get all the out side wall framed; they actually hang from the floor joists, got the 2 2x12 main carriers for the deck and temporarily set the 6x6's in place.

The deck is the hardening off area, 2-3ft glass French doors open out from the upper greenhouse to the deck and the peppers will be on wheeled carts to be rolled out and back in for night, the deck will also have a clear roof.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0265.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0266.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0267.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0268.jpg
2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0269.jpg

You are doing this yourself? Nice work :cool:

I'm helping my dad and brother with a renovation just like this at the moment. (basically the same thing but no chilli involved.. I am trying to convert them with gifts of chilli oil and butch T plants tho ;) )

Before you put the floor sheets down did you put blocks between the joists? Can't see in the pictures. We had to do this these last few days cos the joists were all bouncy.

You are doing this yourself? Nice work :cool:

I'm helping my dad and brother with a renovation just like this at the moment. (basically the same thing but no chilli involved.. I am trying to convert them with gifts of chilli oil and butch T plants tho ;) )

Before you put the floor sheets down did you put blocks between the joists? Can't see in the pictures. We had to do this these last few days cos the joists were all bouncy.

Thanks Megamoo, I did not block between the joists first, thought that I would do it later but the floor in not real bouncy. Menard's ran a sale on treated lumber that was cheaper then white wood and treated lumber here is made from red or yellow pine which is at the least twice as strong as spruce (white wood) so I was able to get away with 2x8's instead of 2x10's for that span.

Basically as you know some of the bounce comes from the joists flexing to the side on the bottom thats why the blocks will help, but after the blow-in insulation I will be covering it with 1/2 osb and then drywall do to the fact I am putting in a coffered ceiling and need to fasten the drops and trim everywhere. so the osb sheathing will do the same as the blocks, not allowing the bottom to flex. Good luck with your project and happy building :)

Thanks for looking SC

This pic is of the demolition of the existing window frames that were in place when the original concrete was poured.

Kinda reminded me of the teeth of the large worms in the movie Tremors!

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0270.jpg

The foaming of the exterior walls to the concrete.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0271.jpg

OSB extention jam tieing the outer wall to the inner wall. the window will get the same treatment!:)

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0273.jpg

A window ready for it's extention jam.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0272.jpg

a pic from above to show the muddle I dreaded. The shit gutter was still full of aged chicken crap that had to be removed and I sledge hammered out the bottom and dug it about 16 inches deep, filled it with gravel sifted from the driveway. The gutter will have drain tile with a fitting running up the walls on both ends. For dehumidifier water and such.

Cleaned the majority of the rubbish out and stacked it to be burned tonight.

Found a 3ft x3ft hole in the corner so I dug that about 3ft deep, feed a water line under the foundation and dropped in a 55 gal drum with a sifter and 2 inch pipe, filling that with gravel. Hind sight I think running hot water and a sink would be nice, and maybe a dishwasher to wash and sanitize the trays and pots. :veryhot

Thanks for lookin!

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0281.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0275.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0276.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0277.jpg

Thanks for looking JAG

On the contraire,

A sink will be in this corner for washing the peppers before drying.

There is a few parts missing from the pic, I didn’t have the camera handy.

The black drum is drilled out with 50 or so ¾ inch holes and inside of that is a 30 gallon drum with holes as well; the 2 inch pipe you see in the pic goes into the inner drum, the outer drum is there for more of a retaining support so the inner drum doesn’t get crushed and collapse.

Hope that answered your Q.

Been keeping an eye on your grow log over the last few month, great job on the beds and garden area. Looks like you have some awesome chili’s there!

ohhhhh I see said the blind man.. That is a french drain for the sink, right? Didn't realize a sink was going there.

In these pics I applied the sheathing to 3 walls, and put the extension jams in the window; foamed them in place and routed out the openings.

Chomping at the bit to get some peppers started, long way to go yet!

Thanks for lookin, SC

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0282.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0283.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0284.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0285.jpg

Wow! I am really jealous. That is going to be an incredible grow building. It looks like you are having fun with that old structure (sarcasm). Working on things that are out of square and not level can be a bit frustrating huh?

I was curious about a couple things though. Why did you frame out the exterior? I was thinking it probably would have been cheaper and less labor intensive to slap up some furring strips and install some vinyl siding.

Also, why did you include headers? I see you said the walls are attached to the second floor joists.

I hope you don't take that as me trying to be smart or something. I am genuinely curious.

Hi Josh,

You brought up a couple of good points!

Wow! I am really jealous. That is going to be an incredible grow building. It looks like you are having fun with that old structure (sarcasm). Working on things that are out of square and not level can be a bit frustrating huh?

I is a little frustrating at times but the key element here for me was just to engulf the concrete, only for the fact of permits and such that it was existing and left the main structure in tact. In retrospect it would have been easier to bulldoze it a start from scratch.

I was curious about a couple things though. Why did you frame out the exterior? I was thinking it probably would have been cheaper and less labor intensive to slap up some furring strips and install some vinyl siding.

At first glance that my be true, and since I did not post or take any pics of how crooked and wavy the wall were, you would probably agree that only using the wall as an extended foundation might be the route, the wall them selfs had at least a 4 inch wave and it is out of level almost 3 inches. (poured that way 60 years ago) furring them out level and strait would have been a nightmare to say the least, In some cases I would have had to use 2x6's and tapper them 2-1/2 to 5-1/2 and still have to figure out how to fasten them to the wall.

Also, why did you include headers? Blond moment!, old habits are hard to break, over thinking it, I'm a tard, take your pick, Hit that one right on the money buddy! Didn't need them, a wast of time and lumber, I see you said the walls are attached to the second floor joists.

I hope you don't take that as me trying to be smart or something. No not at all! I have a feeling you don't have to try, love the camaraderie! I am genuinely curious.

Thanks for your comment and Q's josh,
Cheers, SC

Finally got around to putting up some of the interior walls, a little hard to see with all the junk in the way!

Put in the main 100 amp service and a few electrical boxes along with pex tubing and drain pipes for the water stations, 3 upstairs in the greenhouse 2 downstairs in the grow room and one exterior spicket.

Thanks for looking! SC

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0296.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0297.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0300.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0301.jpg

Absolutely amazing job Spicy. Looks like you have thought of just about everything. Oh, except one...Don't forget to wire for a killer sound system! If I had a dream grow system like what you have built, I would spend most of my at-home time tending to the plants and pumping out the tunes. Looks like you have no close neighbors to worry about and the plants would love it.
icon_smile.gif

Absolutely amazing job Spicy. Looks like you have thought of just about everything. Oh, except one...Don't forget to wire for a killer sound system! If I had a dream grow system like what you have built, I would spend most of my at-home time tending to the plants and pumping out the tunes. Looks like you have no close neighbors to worry about and the plants would love it.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks chileaddict!

Great minds think alike, bought the 200 ft. of # 12 speaker wire last Friday, fix-in to put it in shortly!

I like classic ROCK and Country. hope the grass holds out.:lol:

Cheers, SC

Back