• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicy Chicken's MMXII Grow Log (The Hot Spot Pepper Shack)

Hello everyone!

Planting seeds is still a couple of weeks away yet but thought I would start out with an introduction and let you know a little bit about our place we call The Hot Spot or should I say what others call it, I call it a garden. ;)

Here is a little bit about our hobby farm and how we turned what once was an old abandon farm into our favorite place to be.

This is a family oriented hobby farm located in Northeastern Wisconsin. The farm is about elevan acres in size but we are utilizing only a small portion for the garden. Even though our growing time is short we use every day given to produce some of the best peppers in the state.

We have lived here since 2002 and our garden is just a smidge over 1/2 acre. As each year has passed the pepper garden has grown. Our garden for the year of 2010 had just over 1000 pepper seedlings planted, 2011 2000. Although no herbicides, pesticides, or chemical fertilizers are used, we are not organically certified and do not claim to be.

The compost that is integrated into the soil is procured from a large organic dairy farm a few miles from our home. The soil is sifted and mixed with the compost to create raised, plastic mulch covered beds, thus giving us the ability to control soil heat, moisture and weeds. As the plant grows, we denude the early buds, giving plants time to become strong and resilient.

After the first denuding, plants are then allowed to grow into a nice leafy foliage that produces great tasting peppers we are happy to be able to share with others.

From our family to yours, Thank you!

I am in the midst of building a grow room with a second story green house where this year I will be able to start the plants. Some of you may have seen the tread in Grow Tech category, might be interesting if you’re ever bored. http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/23974-spicy-chickens-grow-room-and-greenhouse-makeover/f

Worked very hard at it last summer, my wife calls it The Pepper Shack.

A couple of before and after pics.

Greenhouse_Before_After_001.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_002.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_003.jpg
settings.gif

Greenhouse_Before_After_004.jpg

As you can see I have a long way to go, but at least I will be able to start the seeds in there, really looking forward to that.

More to come. thanks for looking! SC

Looking great Jeff! Wish mine looked like that at ninety days...

Thanks Noah, they should look like that! what; is it to hot or something? I have seen your plants and they look awesome, wish I had your growing season, mine will end in the next 20 days or less.

I think I just messed myself a little bit...... You are one amazing Chicken!

LOL ... not sure I can get that mental pic out of my head. ewwww. ;o) Thanks for stopping by!

Every visit here has me more in awe of your setup Jeff...Your plants look fantastic! The only thing I don't envy is the slicing and dicing part! Great job man!

OH man..... :drooling: i am drooling all over my table.... need to get a towel to clean up the mess i made..

Looking good there.. jeff... :)

hope i could taste them...i have been out of any super hot pepper for a long time...

Dam......................" A chllehead's Dream !"
Those are photo's for a magazine...
I'm going back to the drawing board..........................not the computer.............................ha
Jeff, ......very interesting as always, the photo's make me speechless...

Greg

Back