• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Spicy Spagetti

Tonight I make spicy spagetti.

Planned ingredients, include, red and green bell peppers, onion, garlic, and crushed red peppers. Also to be included is spicy italian sausage, red cooking wine, dried basil and oregano. With the leftovers, tomorrow I am going to make the spicy meatballs again to have with it.

I use two cans tomato sauce, and two small cans of paste. Add spices and let simmer. I will cook the onions, peppers, and garlic in olive oil for a bit, and add the sausage to brown, drain, then add it all to the sauce.

Boilin' noodles is something though that still drives me bonkers. They always come out wrong, I add salt to the water, and I have tried putting olive oil on them too. What it is, I drain them, and then they are fine at first, but for seconds they are sticky. I have considered just not draining them, I have googled this enigma and come up with nothing concrete. What do you all do?

Ah yes - The ole sticky noodle problem... I usually drizzle a little pasta water over the noodles after straining them this seams to help. BUT! Doing this also hampers the ability of the sauce to coat the noodles properly. The best luck I have had is to get your water to a complete rolling boil - Add desired amount of pasta - Take off the heat and let sit for 10-12 minutes. I have found that this produces the perfect noodle and eliminates most of the starchy sticky issues.

Hope that helps a little - Other wise your only option is to add the sauce directly to all the noodles. This eliminates all of the above issues.

Dan@BLP Labels said:
Hope that helps a little - Other wise your only option is to add the sauce directly to all the noodles. This eliminates all of the above issues.
I could see some obsessive compolsive dude doing that!

Dan@BLP Labels said:
Take off the heat and let sit for 10-12 minutes. I have found that this produces the perfect noodle and eliminates most of the starchy sticky issues.

I will try that. I added some olive oil to the water as well, not sure it helps or not but who knows. I also read that you bring to a boil, add salt, and bring to a boil again.

Sauce is simmering now, looks and tastes good.

Dan@BLP Labels said:
I resemble that remark!
I do too! Just a few nights ago I was at Birds(local bar) and they have a tap that has a shinny gold prymid on the top of it. It had a ton of finger prints on it. I said to Dave, "It dirty!", Dave said, "So, who cares.", I said, "But...its not ment to be dirty. It supposed to be shiny.". It drove me so crazy that I ended up cleaning it off with my shirt sleeve.

Oh, the spagetti isn't sticky at Birds.

imaguitargod said:
Oh, the spagetti isn't sticky at Birds.
Spagetti is something that I may just never master. But the sauce was excellent, I have never made it with the crushed peppers in there, but it added that little something extra to it that it has always needed. I cannot wait for tomorrows hot meatballs.

My plan is keep cooking til my whole family are chiliheads.:)

If you want the sauce to really stick, you shouldn't put olive oil before. It'll create a barrier.
To keep the pasta "nice", try this... strain the pasta, but try to leave a little of the pasta water in the boiling pan, then put the strainer (with the pasta)on top of the pan. The little amount of steam rising up helps keep it free.

Scotty said:
If you want the sauce to really stick, you shouldn't put olive oil before. It'll create a barrier.
To keep the pasta "nice", try this... strain the pasta, but try to leave a little of the pasta water in the boiling pan, then put the strainer (with the pasta)on top of the pan. The little amount of steam rising up helps keep it free.

Tonight, I will try that.

thehotpepper.com said:
Including the spelling :)

Spelling is for weird-o's. :lol:

How about this idea?

sevver said:

Boilin' noodles is something though that still drives me bonkers. They always come out wrong, I add salt to the water, and I have tried putting olive oil on them too. What it is, I drain them, and then they are fine at first, but for seconds they are sticky. I have considered just not draining them, I have googled this enigma and come up with nothing concrete. What do you all do?

Have you considered taking one more step back in the process and making your own 3-Egg Semolina pasta. They cook faster and better, but are more al-dente (sp?) when finished. If you want the recipe (very simple) just send me a PM. - E.Z.

willard3 said:
So............you see incorrect spelling as a virtue?
It's more of a blessing. Where most people are stuck in the boxed line of thinking that something is actually correct, us bad spellers (and/or those that don't care to place emphasis on that particular memorization skill) are actually creating something new on the fly instead of just repeating stirct patterns and rules.

Just a thought though :) :)

sevver said:

Planned ingredients, include, red and green bell peppers, onion, garlic, and crushed red peppers. Also to be included is spicy italian sausage, red cooking wine, dried basil and oregano. With the leftovers, tomorrow I am going to make the spicy meatballs again to have with it.

I use two cans tomato sauce, and two small cans of paste. Add spices and let simmer. I will cook the onions, peppers, and garlic in olive oil for a bit, and add the sausage to brown, drain, then add it all to the sauce.

The response is...."AL DENTE" take it out of the water when they are a little uncooked and by the time you serve them they will be perfect and not sticky...and use barilla pasta...much better for spaghetti...!!!

Wow, This thread made me hungry too…….
I got lucky when the little lady came home and whipped up dinner. Turns out it was spaghetti (divine intervention:pray: ) I added a tsp of Defcon 1 & a tbs of Marco’s now famous salsa……and….waalaa….gotta good burn going, lifes good
Hey sevver, how did those spicy meatballs turnout bro?

We usually put on a frying pan some heavy whip cream, let it thicken then put in some roasted veggie salsa and some parmesan cheese, pour the "al dente" spaghetti in the pan and voila'...dimmer ready...

Hillbilly Chili said:
Wow, This thread made me hungry too…….
I got lucky when the little lady came home and whipped up dinner. Turns out it was spaghetti (divine intervention:pray: ) I added a tsp of Defcon 1 & a tbs of Marco’s now famous salsa……and….waalaa….gotta good burn going, lifes good
Hey sevver, how did those spicy meatballs turnout bro?

Didn't have time to make them, too busy here lately. But I did have alot of sauce left which I froze. I have made the meatballs before and they were great, looks like the next time I make them it will be with the Blues Habanera Reserve!

I will take the spaghetti out of the pan in a serving bowl and put a little of the sauce on it and mix it up a bit, that usually keeps it from sticking as well. Olive oil does act like a barrier although it is good to keep the water from boiling over. I just season the water (Salt) and add pasta once its going I turn the heat down enough to keep it from boiling over and voilà its eaten time!

Use a bigger pot and more water. Most of the time pasta sticks because it is cooked in a pot that doesn't allow enough room for the starch that is released during the cooking process to dissipate enough.

It's a pain in the neck sometimes, but measure everything the way you usually cook pasta, I'll bet the amount of water you use is less than the package recommendations.

Lots of salt in the pasta water, no olive oil. What, your water not slippery enough? I sometimes add olive oil after the pasta's been drained if it's going to sit for a while before dressing, as well as for flavor. You can also rinse with cold water to completely rinse off residual starch, helpful with cold pastas for salads, etc.

Vayo con Queso

Back