• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Spider Mites & ??

First, here's the ??... No idea what this guy is, didn't want to kill him if he'll be eating the mites... He was trapped between the 2 cups, just sitting on the rubber band.

My camera is a few years old - I can't take a picture of something this small with any real detail. I circled the mite. He's the white spot to the left. I'm pretty sure it's spider mites - they look like the tiny little red ones I used to kill as a kid. But they're white.

What do I do?? Is it possible they're just regular mites? If so, what then? And what is the first bug?

that's a new one on me Klyth

I've only been able to find 3 mites in total. 1 on those Jalapenos, and 2 on a cilantro that hasn't even barely sprouted yet. I looked at all of the other plants, tapped them, etc. Nothing I can see.

This is weird - why would they be on the cilantro?? It hasn't even sprouted yet, I can just see the little green bulge sticking up right now.

Are you sure they're mites and not baby aphids? I can't tell from the picture.

I don't know what the first one is, but it sure look interesting.

Pam said:
Are you sure they're mites and not baby aphids? I can't tell from the picture.

I don't know what the first one is, but it sure look interesting.

I'm not positive, no. But they don't have the oblong bodies that aphids have. They're tiny as pin-heads, so I can't really tell, though. Are baby aphids circular, tiny and white?

Neem?

the baby aphids (nymphs) do look a lot like mites... you're plants are really young so i'd use really dilute soap, wait a half hour or so then wipe it off then repeat the next day or two. no idea what the first bug is tho.

GrumpyBear said:
the baby aphids (nymphs) do look a lot like mites... you're plants are really young so i'd use really dilute soap, wait a half hour or so then wipe it off then repeat the next day or two. no idea what the first bug is tho.

First time doing this. Dilute what kind of soap how much, and how should I apply? Spray? Wipe? (There's not much to wipe, I have tiny stalks with cotyledons AT MOST)

A teaspoon of soap liquid like Original fairy liquid (washing up liquid) to a couple of litres of water. Not perfumed or anti-bacterial though. I don't know about using it on very young plants as I never have.

rainbowberry said:
A teaspoon of soap liquid like Original fairy liquid (washing up liquid) to a couple of litres of water. Not perfumed or anti-bacterial though. I don't know about using it on very young plants as I never have.

So just regular liquid hand soap? Ok... Dilute, spray on, wait 30 minutes and wipe off, yeah?

Spray the soil as well? They're crawling around down there.

I don't know... just had a quick look at what the liquid soap I use have in it, and I don't want that on the plants.

But you don't want a dead plant either, surely we feed them chemicals with fertilizer? If you're willing to wash you hands and dishes in the stuff then what's the difference?

rainbowberry said:
But you don't want a dead plant either, surely we feed them chemicals with fertilizer? If you're willing to wash you hands and dishes in the stuff then what's the difference?

Method was bought at an organic store. And the web site says everything in it is non-toxic... Only thing - it DOES contain fragrance...

We have that too. blue, red, green and many other colors, but the original is yellow.
flx202583087438013kk0.jpg

rainbowberry said:
I use vermicompost, it can't be chemical. any type of chemicals will kill the worms, so no chemicals.
I'm not eating my plates and it's washable with dishes. the plants absorb it.

Back