• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

spiky bhut jolokias

Several of the bhuts have fleshy spikes on the pods. I have yet to see any pics of spiky fleshed bhuts. From what I have seen they are relatively smooth but bumpy.

does this come from environmental factors or is this a trait or strain? Pics later when I get back home.

seeds came from BC in America's hockey loving attic.

Enjoy those spikes, save the seeds. I prefer the spiky ones. I had one plant that produced those wicked looking pods. The seeds from those peppers will be saved for next year. The smooth ones may be crossed. I had a plant that either got mixed up when I planted or it's a cross. It says Peppermania but the spiky plant also says peppermania. I'm sure the spiky one is, the smooth one could have gotten mislabeled or it's not a bhut...looks more like a habanero cross to me.

I don't think that is too uncommon.I've had quite a few with spikes over the last couple years on my bhuts and chocolate bhuts but not on the yellows though.

2 out of my 10 plants had really spiky pods. I couldn't really tell a difference in flavor or heat in smooth vs spiked pods. But I do know the ones that were in better quality soil were the ones with the spikes.

Its most likely an environmental thing. I've had early nagas full of barbs and bumbs but later ones were normal looking

Potawie naga 2007
4629770441a92a6ef3dft3.jpg

My bhuts grew with those little spikes also. I was wondering why, because in a lot
of pictures they are smoother. Good to know I'm not the only one who had the spikes,
It does make them meaner lookin.

i had one or two Aji Lemon Drop that are a little spiky

im with Bhut camp i dont think its uncommon
and i have seen Bhuts with spikes before

thanks joe

Enter into the circle of confusion.

I came across a website that I can't find again that had BJ India Carbon seeds for sale as a different strain. It mentioned the spikes as a characteristic as well as thinner walls. chiliseeds.co.uk has bhut jolokia assam (Indian Carbon) listed.

Thanks for the pic Potawie. The spikes look similar to mine. These are the first fruit I'm getting this year. Just about everything fell off the plants after we got about 10" of rain in 2 days. That was about 1 1/2 months ago and now the cold night temps will probably take a toll as well. Which is perfect as my 4 plants are loaded with flowers again and many, many pepper babies.

IMG_9953.jpg

Back