• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sporeheads 2015 what have I done? GLOG +++updated!+++

Hey gang. This is my first year trying to grow hot peppers. All of these came from members here at THP. They may not all be true varieties due to the possible lack of isolation but that's ok. Thanks to you all! I'm not entirely sure what I will do with all of these yet. I'm making a spreadsheet with all the heat, flavor and potential uses for everything I am growing. Sauce, salsa, ferments for more salsa, dry powder, chili, pickles, smoked pods, pickles,  and mustard are what I've come up with so far. I suspect I will have way more than I need so stay tuned as I will likely be offering fresh pods at the end of the season. I intend to save true seed for myself and for you all via the bagging isolation method. I might try a few isolated crosses as well as some random mother nature crosses. I have a ton of research to do now... Should be fun!

Before I get started, this is not a complete list. I am hoping to get some jalapenos, maybe some fresno and piri piri and a chocolate hab. I'll add those to the log once I sow them. Too many peppers! Here is the complete list so far:

Sown 1/31/15
7 Pot brain strain red
7 pot yellow
Bahamian goat
Bhut jolokia chococlate
Birds eye
Bonda Ma Jacques
Carolina Reaper
C. Frutescens (labeled c. Frutiscium)
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Congo Trinidad Giant Yellow
Habanero Anitllais Caribbean 
Moruga red
Moruga Yellow
Murupi
Red bubblegum 
SB7J

Sown 2/7/15
Yellow Fatalii

[image]http://www.shroomery.org/forums/thumbs/15-007/354307420-thumb_20150209_201236.jpg[/image] [image]http://www.shroomery.org/forums/thumbs/15-007/354307473-thumb_20150209_201215.jpg[/image]

The open slots are non peppers. Epehdra, passion flower and blue morning glory. The hard to see label is a carolina reaper. So far good germination rates! I'd love to have 6 of everything so I'll be sowing more again soon if and when they don't all germinate. I'm hoping to keep 3 plants of each for myself and gift the other three.

I'm open to suggestions as to what to do with all these come harvest time such as recipes etc. Also any info on these varieties would be helpful and save me some time. Thanks and stay tuned!

My plants are all so big! Ive been pinching flowers this whole time to encourage upward growth. Ive let most of them flower staring last week. I guess i wasn't paying attention to how long the pods take to ripen though. Im concerned that they won't have enough time to mature before growing conditions change to unfavorable. Is there anything i can do to encourage quicker formation? I might have to let them finish indoors if not.

Been a long time! I am bad at updating but here is one. It will be short until I start pulling pods though.

The plants are doing great! I have not harvested any full plants yet, just some peppers here and there. I'm going to start processing pods this week though. If anyone wants to trade, let me know. I want to start getting my seed list for next year going. I need reaper seeds, because I don't think I have them, though they came labeled as such. They just don't look like it.

If anyone knows what this is, please let me know. I didn't label it and it looks much different from all of the others.

Ya, my reapers are red savina. Tasty, but not reapers. Made a fatali puree sauce yesterday, I'm in love. Can't wait to start working with this years grow! I'll try to keep up with the madness as I go along. It's astounding that they are all ripe at the same time. I'll need input on what to do with all of this, if anyone can contribute. 

Back