• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health spots

okay, I went to go check on my scorpions, and in the good outdoor light, I noticed one of the plants has faint tiny yellow spots on the leaves. in other places on the same leaves, the leaf looks very thin. I inspected the others, and found another one with thin areas, but no yellow spots.

I am assuming I should be prepared to treat something.

What? :?:

I hope you can see this. I had trouble with lighting. This is the worst leaf, the one that is really starting to look "damaged".
spots.jpg

The yellow spots have faded, they dont show in this picture (looked like freckles) but the thin areas are really starting to look not good. just one other pepper is showing this, and not the spots, but it doesnt look as bad as this. of course, this is the biggest leaf in the lot!

You know, I was thinking the same, Nova. I'm racking my brains, because I dont use a lot of chemicals, and I havent been doing anything around the peppers. spilled some of the soil on the leaves a little- could it be fertilizer from the miracle gro soil? I dont think there is enough chlorine in my tap to do that. If there was, I think it wouldve done damage to something else in my house by now, and none of my critters have died.

Looks to be a little bit of "caking" around the edges of the white spots. Fertilizer could do that however i am not sure about if fert from the soil could do it. It still looks to me that is was a liquid of some sort because of the kinda splash marks.

hate to ask Celeste, but do you have a pic of the underside of the leaf...it could be as Nova suggested, but it looks like something has been grazing on your bush...have you had any aphids or slugs to deal with?

undersides

Here is the same leaf underside:
uld1.jpg

Another leaf that just has yellow spots topside:
uld2.jpg

A third leaf that shows damage:
uld3.jpg

All on the same plant. Only one other plant shows this damage on one leaf.
To me it looks like something has chewed on them from underneath- something with weak jaws, as the underside is softer than the topside of the leaf.

The damage does not seem to be spreading, but the spots are starting to become dry.
I can see no insects. I am aware that insects that I do not see exist in my house, because I have lots of very small corner spiders. I only have one other plant, a bamboo, and it has never had any parasites that I could see.

I'm going to try to catch some corner spiders this evening and put them in with the peppers. Just in case.

Otherwise, all seem to be growing just fine.

I see what you're seeing chillilover and you may be right. Celeste can you get another picture of the underside of that leaf? We need one that's in focus. Thanks.

Back