• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Sprite peppers?

I just had this idea to pickle peppers with sprite. a 50/50 combination and adding some lemon and lime juice. What peppers will work best with this idea? Im also thinking of adding a habenero for spicyness if the peppers are not that spicy. From this, draining the vinegar and sprite combination (save some for later), blend the peppers until silky, then cook it until thick. Add some of the vinegar sprite combination until desired thinness. Will this be a good idea? of course, ill have the sprite go flat first.

Blisstake said:
I just had this idea to pickle peppers with sprite. a 50/50 combination and adding some lemon and lime juice. What peppers will work best with this idea? Im also thinking of adding a habenero for spicyness if the peppers are not that spicy. From this, draining the vinegar and sprite combination (save some for later), blend the peppers until silky, then cook it until thick. Add some of the vinegar sprite combination until desired thinness. Will this be a good idea? of course, ill have the sprite go flat first.
I would find something that does not have HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). That shit is bad for you. It is also toxic if you heat it up. Are you going to heat sterilize the mixture? Maybe make your own version of Sprite. Carbonated water, sugar, lemon & lime. I try to only drink soda with sugar. These are mostly packaged in Mexico or South Amaerica. I won't drink diet sodas. Stevia is the closest I get to sugar substitutes.

http://civileats.com/2010/11/05/the-newest-damning-research-on-high-fructose-corn-syrup-and-what-it-means-for-your-health/

Your mixture does sound good. I may try it...

McGuiver said:
I would find something that does not have HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). That shit is bad for you. It is also toxic if you heat it up. Are you going to heat sterilize the mixture? Maybe make your own version of Sprite. Carbonated water, sugar, lemon & lime. I try to only drink soda with sugar. These are mostly packaged in Mexico or South Amaerica. I won't drink diet sodas. Stevia is the closest I get to sugar substitutes.

Your mixture does sound good. I may try it...
OK, ill try using lime and lemon juice combined with club soda. But what peppers would do best with this?

I have a better idea. Puree them and mix add drops into sprite. Much better.  :fire:
On topic, I would use anything aside from reapers, butch T, and some of the douglahs and nagas. The flavors just don't mix right. The best would probably be Thai and white habanero.

McGuiver said:
 I try to only drink soda with sugar. These are mostly packaged in Mexico or South Amaerica. I won't drink diet sodas. Stevia is the closest I get to sugar substitutes.

My opinion is exactly the same. 

Here in Argentina Pepsi use sugar, but Coca-Cola fructose corn use. To my taste horrible, however with sugar like before. People today do not take into account taste, nothing matters. 
Other brands sweetened with the worst, cyclamate or anything, no regulations of any kind. 

Cocacola Life recently launched here with stevia and I try and be very rich. 

Thanks to this I have my stevia plantation. Before not know stevia.

I think that Sierra Mist is made with sugar here in the states, take a look at the different lemon lime sodas and see.

I would tend to think that the peppers that are eaten green would do well in this, jalapeños and serranos maybe some green Habaneros. With some sweet onion, roasted garlic and sweet potato sounds good.

It sounds like your planning to let it ferment for a while before processing it, if so then I wouldn't let the soda go flat as the CO2 will gas off anyways and can provide the layer of protection from nasties quicker, it'll force the air out leaving a layer of CO2 instead.

Cheers

Aji Pineapple would seem to be complimentary to your lemon lime, and maybe a cream Fatali for extra heat.
I wouldn't use any carbonated liquid though.
1. It lowers the PH, and botulism isn't any fun.
2. You lose it any way if you let it go flat, or mix it with an acid.

But if "sprite" is the flavor you require, use one that has "real" lemon/lime and "real" sugar, and check the ph of your mix.

Ok, so simply this is the map of the creaton for this:

1: mix sierra mist with vinegar 50/50

2: chop up some lemon drop peppers with a some habeneros

3:put peppers in soda and vinegar mix, seal for X days

4: remove peppers from mixture

5: cook peppers with some of the sierra mist mixture on stovetop

6: repeat steps 2-5 as many times as needed

7: blend peppers until fine

8: Pour mixture into sauce until desired thickness

9: cook sauce on stovetop again (once cooled down from last cooking) and put some salt and flour in the mixture (flour so it thickens a bit, but still liquid)

10: Add lemon and lime juice to the sauce

does this sound good?

Can you post pics of how it goes? I might wanna try this with some douglahs once they finish turning brown. Coca cola with douglah peppers. It would conflict with the flavor a bit less.

what about a 25/25/50 mix? 25 dr pepper, 25 coca-cola- and 50 vinegar. One combination that sounds amazing is some sweet peppers cooked in Neurobliss. Add some mango salsa, and blend.

RocketMan said:
I think that Sierra Mist is made with sugar here in the states, take a look at the different lemon lime sodas and see.

I would tend to think that the peppers that are eaten green would do well in this, jalapeños and serranos maybe some green Habaneros. With some sweet onion, roasted garlic and sweet potato sounds good.

It sounds like your planning to let it ferment for a while before processing it, if so then I wouldn't let the soda go flat as the CO2 will gas off anyways and can provide the layer of protection from nasties quicker, it'll force the air out leaving a layer of CO2 instead.

Cheers

Blisstake said:
Ok, so simply this is the map of the creaton for this:

1: mix sierra mist with vinegar 50/50

2: chop up some lemon drop peppers with a some habeneros

3:put peppers in soda and vinegar mix, seal for X days

4: remove peppers from mixture

5: cook peppers with some of the sierra mist mixture on stovetop

6: repeat steps 2-5 as many times as needed

7: blend peppers until fine

8: Pour mixture into sauce until desired thickness

9: cook sauce on stovetop again (once cooled down from last cooking) and put some salt and flour in the mixture (flour so it thickens a bit, but still liquid)

10: Add lemon and lime juice to the sauce

does this sound good?
Im confused on whats going on here were you planning for a ferment or just canning pickles with water bath?

What did you end up doing, how did it turn out??

Back