• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Square Foot Gardens

400742_4680800062358_1174688770_n.jpg

I used to watch Mel every day I could and started my first square foot garden in 1985. I'm 6'3" tall, so I put together a couple of 5 by 5s, so I was getting 25 squares per garden. You wouldn't think just adding an extra foot would give you an extra 50% of growing area. I remember the bitch of the whole thing was how much it cost to make this beautiful soil for each garden. Once you do it though, its done. I used to mix up the crops and do all the tricks, like planting radishes and carrots in the same square and you harvest the radishes first and they break the ground for the carrots to come in later. I even took the suckers from the tomato plants and rooted them just to see if they truly did produce more tomatoes than the original plants, which they did. I thought that was pretty cool. Have fun with your garden. You will be surprised how much stuff you can get out of such a small area. You always got something going, hea, and what is your favorite hot weather crop? hot peppers of course!

We're at the start of a 3 day cold snap (at least)... last night's low temp. was 35 degrees, so I'm gonna have to wait until Wednesday to transplant out the rest of the square foot garden. Waiting in the wings are tomatoes, eggplant, napa cabbage, vegetable amaranth, pickling cukes, Korean hobak squash, bush-type filet beans and yard-long beans. The yard-long beans are a tropical pole-type bean that I've never grown before, but my aunt from Singapore has been after me to put them in. They seem like vigorous growers for sure... I planted them a week ago and the darned things are already 6 inches tall. The collards and root crops are all up now, so we're moving along...

After the outage yesterday I could not post until I cleared my cache and enabled BBCode mode. Anyway here is the almost complete 4 x 4 for some very hot peppers! I'll be completing it this week and deciding which of the 35 plants I have left will make their way here.

923256_4684952726172_888694012_n.jpg

Very interesting, I don't know several of the varieties in your proposed layout.  I've done another couple small ones for some pole beans and another 1x4 for super beefsteak tomatoes.  I'm going to clean off the suckers also and see how that goes.  I don't know how many of these you've done, but this is my first.  I have harvested about 30 salad tomatoes and about 4 or 5 decent sized beefsteaks already.  We've had enough lettuce to have 3 family sized salads a week for the last 3 weeks.

Okra hasn't done well in mine.  Corn, either.

It's all a learning curve.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
After the outage yesterday I could not post until I cleared my cache and enabled BBCode mode. Anyway here is the almost complete 4 x 4 for some very hot peppers! I'll be completing it this week and deciding which of the 35 plants I have left will make their way here.

So that was what happened. I haven't been able to post from Firefox at work for a couple of days. I had to use IE (yuck) for any posts I made here. I got it fixed now.

Looks like everythings starting to take off.  Onions especially.  Looking at yours I wish I had done 2x8's instead.  Over the last couple months my 'soil' has compacted alot and it's at least an inch lower.  I plan to top dress with compost, but if mine was taller I wouldn't.

Yeah I was happy I did 2 x 10 x 8's. Perfect for potato, carrot, onions, garlic and scallions. I hope all the pepper plants do awesome, time will tell. All the habanero plants have about 4 - 8 blooms each.

Back