• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Sriracha sauce shortage

@Grass Snake is correct, and David should have TMed the the name because now it is being used by everyone as a general sauce, when, he named it after the town he had the sauce in and could have TMed it after proving it was a brand. Unfortunately he never did and now people make money off the name.

Isn't there an "original" Sriracha that's made in Vietnam or something? I'm off to google be back in a few.
David Tran is from Vietnam, and the boat he took to Thailand was the Huy Fong, and the town he had the sauce in was Si Racha. He branded it as Sriracha. This is from memory not google, but I believe correct.

I think sriracha is a general name for a regional sauce. Like "salsa" can be a 100 different style sauces. Fresh, canned, you name it...

@Grass Snake is correct, and David should have TMed the the name because now it is being used by everyone as a general sauce, when, he named it after the town he had the sauce in and could have TMed it after proving it was a brand. Unfortunately he never did and now people make money off the name.
The story I heard (when I lived around there) is that he chose not to trademark it. Supposedly he didn't care if anyone used the name because the original would stand on its quality.

Not seeing much of a shortage here in NC after the original rush emptied the shelves.

Sounds like a decent dude. Also appears to be in the videos I have seen. But all these brands, doing Sriracha chips and this and that. He could have made royalties. But again, just seems like a decent dude proud of his own creation.

H-Mart:

1674317825978.png

Even over a year later, it's still hard to get our hands on the real deal over here. I gave this one a try but unfortunately, it isn't very good... I guess I'll have to stick to the Heinz version until I can pick up a bottle of the Rooster brand 🙄

1000005072.jpg
1000005073.jpg

Back