• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking St Paddy's Day on the Weber Kettle

I do most of my cooking on a Weber kettle.

On the menu: tri-tip, potatoes, and cabbage on the grill

Nice choice tri-tip

Baby Yukon potatoes, cut in half and tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper. Tri-tip rubbed with Austin's signature and un-repeatable "Dregs Rub Mix" - every time I make a rub and have a little extra, it goes in the container. So at this point, I have no idea what's in it, except that it's hot. I know there is habanero powder and cayenne in it, also some coffee and brown sugar, salt and pepper.... I'm sure there is also some garlic/onion/cumin, but the rest is just guessing.

Potatoes aren't done when the meat is at 122° - so the tri-tip comes off and gets a wrap and rest in heavy duty aluminum foil while the potatoes keep going, vents opened full.

Get the cabbage ready - just cut off the bottom and quarter it, leaving the core intact to hold it together. Flip the potatoes from cut side down to cut side up to finish browning, and cook the cabbage quarters for 3-4 minutes per side until nicely charred.

Potatoes go into a bowl with minced garlic and butter, cabbage gets a chance to finish steaming and cook through while the tri-tip comes out of the foil and over the coals for a sear.

The meat already got its rest for 15-20 minutes, so no need to wait to carve it immediately

Cabbage gets drizzled with a homemade Dijon vinaigrette (olive oil, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt and pepper)

And a few views of the plate:

Turned out really good.

The Hot Pepper said:
Very nice but let that steak rest before you cut it all that juice ahhhh! :D

Oh you said you did wow.....

I did a tri-tip today too on the gas grill though. Thats how they are Boss, I let mine rest for 15 no foil it was luke warm and ran juices just like that. Its a very juicy cut.

Very nice Austin looks great!! :drooling:

Beautiful looking Tri Tip....cooked to perfection .....that's the way I like em.....as Denis Leary said......cut off what you want to eat and ride the rest home.

That looks awesome.

Will have to try the grilled cabbage.

I spy the vortex's ...

#BlackKettlePosse

And ...

I believe meat resting is on the out, anyways ...

:CHEERS:

Back