• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Stabilizing the CPR

84cac27c3382f3aa83a6e49219140ed0.jpg

All the small ones are CPRs. The two largest are from moruga welder with the third strain germinating still. All things considered, growth is stunted whereas other varieties are thriving in the same conditions. All plants in the photo were germinated at the same time with the same soil. More to come.

CPR JW strain just sprouted.  Butch T's strain is growing but very, very slowly.  Moruga Welder's are growing much better but are still half the size of my other varieties.  Pics to come (just at work).  I am thinking these plants might be so small they won't need a 5 gallon container and I can get away with 3 gallon buckets.  Will have to see how this third strain does. 

Whichever strain does best will be entered (I'm thinking) into an international seed train and that way people can grab some while adding some potentially hard to find crazy foreign varieties. 

I grew two CPR from seeds I got from Butch T last season.

I planted the best one in my raised bed, but it never grew  to be more than a foot-and-a-half tall, and did not produce one pod all year. The Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habanero, Bhut Orange Copenhagen, and Peach Bhut Jolokia plants that were around it were all four to five feet tall.

The one I planted in a Big Bag Bed Mini with three or four other plants of some other varieties did produce about a dozen very small pods. The plant itself was around a foot tall at most. The other plants in the Mini were of similar size; less than two feet.

I saved seeds from the two biggest CPR pods for growing this year. I am thinking that ten gallon root pouches would be the best option.

good luck bro !  i didn't start a one , genetically suck !
BSH said:
84cac27c3382f3aa83a6e49219140ed0.jpg

All the small ones are CPRs. The two largest are from moruga welder with the third strain germinating still. All things considered, growth is stunted whereas other varieties are thriving in the same conditions. All plants in the photo were germinated at the same time with the same soil. More to come.

i planted a bunch of cpr seeds this year and every last seedling but 1 is still only about 3 inches tall after almost 2 months... the last one is pretty even with all the rest of my varieties and will be the one i grow out... maybe a numbers game to find a good one.. Also the rest of his seeds germinated fine for me but not one chocolate moruga brains germinated out of 20+ seeds... The seeds all looked mangled.. not broken but balled up instead of flatter like most pepper seeds... I wrote him multiple times asking for advice or tricks for that strain until the last seed went moldy a few days ago and never got a reply... had mustard moruga brains too and not one of those germinated either...

JUR-Z-Devil said:
i planted a bunch of cpr seeds this year and every last seedling but 1 is still only about 3 inches tall after almost 2 months... the last one is pretty even with all the rest of my varieties and will be the one i grow out... maybe a numbers game to find a good one.. Also the rest of his seeds germinated fine for me but not one chocolate moruga brains germinated out of 20+ seeds... The seeds all looked mangled.. not broken but balled up instead of flatter like most pepper seeds... I wrote him multiple times asking for advice or tricks for that strain until the last seed went moldy a few days ago and never got a reply... had mustard moruga brains too and not one of those germinated either...
i hear ya on the way the seeds look , they looked that way last season and behold thats how the c.p.r.'s grew . 

I will also add something...I did not create this thread to bash Butch T.  I think he's great!  The point of this experiment is to find a strain that has good germination rates, regular growth and normal pod output as it is a gnarly looking pepper and is HOT.  I will say that all three strains germinated the same - within a week or so.  My CPR JW just sprouted (1/3 so far) so we'll see how it grows.  

Butch T's Original Strain from his site: almost have the third set of leaves out now.
Frank's strain: starting to pick up speed!  Twice the size of Butch T's.
JW strain: Cotyledons only for now.  

oh yeah... i didnt mean to sound bashing either... I actually refused his seed replacement as it could have been something during transportation or something else unknown... i dont doubt the quality of his seeds so it wouldnt be fair to make him pay for it..

My two cents: Last year grew two waves of CPR from Mr. Taylor.  First wave was at room temperature  Germination rate was horrible. So i ordered in some more seed stock from Mr. Taylor.  Germinated in an incubator at about 95 deg. Got excellent germination rate.  Maybe it is one of those that loves he warm.  Productivity was about par with Carolina Reaper.  Late season, they were very productive but that first surge of pods was slender pickings.

BSH said:
I will also add something...I did not create this thread to bash Butch T.  I think he's great!  The point of this experiment is to find a strain that has good germination rates, regular growth and normal pod output as it is a gnarly looking pepper and is HOT.  I will say that all three strains germinated the same - within a week or so.  My CPR JW just sprouted (1/3 so far) so we'll see how it grows.  

Butch T's Original Strain from his site: almost have the third set of leaves out now.
Frank's strain: starting to pick up speed!  Twice the size of Butch T's.
JW strain: Cotyledons only for now.  
same here , not bashing Butch , his B.T.R's  grew great , just saying the C.p.r.'s not so .  can't change that , surely was hoping they would of tho ,    :party:

I'll jump on this wagon also and let you know how mine are doing tonight. I ordered 10 CPR from Butch and he actually sent 23, most seeds didn't look great which I'm guessing is why he sent extra. I think I have about 8 to 10 germinated though. The others (BTR, Reaper, Butch T Scorp) I ordered from him all germinated pretty quickly with at least 8 to 10 out of 12 each and seem to be doing well so far.

BSH said:
47103b3785bbb0000b591a97f7722f92.jpg
703500e751a1d0e88d383ea01ec9e398.jpg
154bae693ac6d36d6fb42c71c6636149.jpg

CPR JW are growing slowly...Frank's strain suddenly exploded and it is one of my best plants! Butch T's is also taking off. Glad to hear I'm not the only one growing these out.
its from all that good ol' horse poo here in streator ! , lol  glad to see their growing nicely for you  .

Just a little update!  I have a few plants that are clearly the healthiest and are frontrunners for the best seed stock...2 are from moruga welder and one butch T plant is pretty lush also.  Out of two JW strain seedlings, one had mangled, curled leaves and one looks great so I'm going with that one.  I would grow more JWs but I am already way over capacity here.  Looks like I will have 4 plants to select from as most have just stopped growing and/or have irregular growth and poor leaves but I'm giving them time (I think I have 9 or 10 CPRs going at the moment so that's six that seem genetically deficient).  Will post pics soon!

Back