• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

staking chilies

I stake mine with 3' stakes. The reason I use them is as a protection from strong winds during storms. During the summer it is not uncommon to get strong straight line winds that will blow over or break your pepper plants. It is heart breaking to have a plant full of pods snapped by the wind. Anyways I stake them and it really minimizes that type of damage.

I don't tie them tightly to the stake but do leave a little room for movement, haven't had any problems with thin stems.

One thing that hasn't been discussed in this thread is staking the branches (as opposed to the main stem). Last year I had some habs that were so laden with big pods (60+) that the ends of the branches were literally falling over toward the earth, and the slightest winds made them about to snap off. At first I put in some auxillary stakes, like in a triangle around the main stem, and tied the branches to these stakes, but it was a PITA with the 5-gallon containers. Then I got more clever about it - I put one thick stake in the middle, and then tied the ends or middles of the heavier branches with yarn to the top of the central post. Sort of like the skeleton of an umbrella. This was really effective in dealing with strong winds (I live in kind of a wind tunnel). The branches would sway in the wind, but the wind energy would get absorbed by the strong main stake.

Back