• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Staking / Supporting Tomatoes??

The tomato season is here and I would love to be - kinda - prepared!

I know the two most popular newish methods of staking are Florida Weave and Cage, and while I have directions on how to make a Florida Weave, I'm still looking for a tutorial on cage building, if anyone can help...?

More importantly for the moment, is to find out which of the two methods you guys use, and why?

I used the Weave this year and it works nicely. A couple of observations - drive the sticks deep into the ground if you plan on growing tall plants. When they get wet and a strong wind comes, there is a lot of pressure on the strings and it isn't hard to topple the sticks.

I lost a couple of maters because they grew in between stems and branches and there waqsn't enough room to remove them.

But all in all, it does a great job.

Mike

One other thing which I plan to use in my greenhouse is a Plant Yo-Y0. This is what greenhouses use. If it works as advertised, I may try to modify the Weave and run a string over the top of the sticks and then connect the yo-yo to it.

Mike

Back