• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Started my 2010 garden this evening

It's about seven months before Frost Free Day but I wanted to get an early start. Over the last few days I got the Florida Weave unwoven, pulled up the dead plants, picked a few peppers and green tomatoes. Finished tilling the ground this evening, though I had to rent a tiller - mine died. Sowed my first crop - ryegrass.

If this turns out anything like the wheat I sowed last year (the feed mill is out of it), it will be the most valuable seed I buy.

Mike

You sure don't let any grass grow under you feet Mike. :lol: With these preparations that your doing now, I'm sure that next year will be even better for you than this one has been.

Noshow,

I'm about 12 hours north of the border, in Cincinnati.

Pepperfreak,

I think sowing wheat last year is what made the difference this year. I spread 18 pounds of fertilizer over 900 sq. ft. in early May and that was the only fertilizer I used all year. From what the guy at the feed mill said, rye is suppose to be better than wheat.

Mike

Mike, I hear you on getting ready for next year but you are way ahead of us. We did NOT have a good year this time so all plants will go into containers next season and the garden will get a much needed rest. So once the plot gets it's final mowing, it's mainly just cleanup around the yard.

Pepperfreak,

The rye grass provides the rest. Two years ago, I had a horrible garden but I sowed wheat last October. It did not get mowed until early May, giving the ground at least six months to recover. Plus, the roots got tilled in, adding more nutrients that decomposed over the next few weeks.

We use to raise tobacco in the same field year after year after year but dad always sowed winter wheat. It always paid off. I had to use rye this year because the store does not have any wheat but from what I read, it is suppose to be better than wheat.

Mike

Back