• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Started my first ever ferment today.

Started my mash today using Tabasco peppers and a mix of jalapeño and Serrano. Everything was clean and sanitized. Blitzed peppers and placed in jar. Added a probiotic capsule in each jar, a little water and 2% sea salt for the weight of the contents. Everything look okay or anything else I should do?

Attachments

• IMG_4243.jpg
    IMG_4243.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_4244.jpg
    IMG_4244.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_4246.jpg
    IMG_4246.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 168
Started my mash today using Tabasco peppers and a mix of jalapeño and Serrano. Everything was clean and sanitized. Blitzed peppers and placed in jar. Added a probiotic capsule in each jar, a little water and 2% sea salt for the weight of the contents. Everything look okay or anything else I should do?

Looks good - fermentation will produce CO2 which will cause pressure to build up in your jar. Every couple of days just unscrew the lid a little to release the pressure. Just unscrew a little to let the pressure out and re-tighten, do not open all the way. After a few weeks, when the activity has slowed or stopped, you can leave the lid as is.

Looks good - fermentation will produce CO2 which will cause pressure to build up in your jar. Every couple of days just unscrew the lid a little to release the pressure. Just unscrew a little to let the pressure out and re-tighten, do not open all the way. After a few weeks, when the activity has slowed or stopped, you can leave the lid as is.
Thanks Siv and everyone who has offered advice!

Looking great! How long are you planning on fermenting?

Looking great! How long are you planning on fermenting?
Thanks. Im not sure how long I will let the mash go. The peppers I had in the brine, I fermented for 2.5 weeks and made sauce with them. I know that wasn't quite long enough, but since I was gonna ferment mash I wanted to try the others in the brine out to see if there was a difference. I definitely prefer a fermented sauce over using unfermented peppers. All you guys in this thread have been most helpful! 👍👍

Attachments

• IMG_4317.jpg
    IMG_4317.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 158
Not to necro-post but this thread is a good segue. Yesterday I processed up half a bushel of ripe habaneros, last of the season, and fermented them. Did one big quart jar, and I’m wondering if I over did the salt a bit because it didn’t burp as the smaller pints did. We shall see. Got one quart of ground ripe plus avcouple pints and a pint of green habs.

Also took the poblanos, roasted 2/3 under the gas broiler to char, chopped the remaining, added garlic, onion, and cumin and letting it ferment.

The experiment I did with fermenting mixed peppers was AWESOME. really happy with the result. It makes all the difference,

Last edited:
Back