• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Starting from Seeds

I was curious If you have to have a grow tent/lights/perfect environment to get your seeds to germinate and begin to grow? I am uber new to this and I dont have all of that tech. Please advise a slightly discouraged newbie LOL

Absolutley not!!! You can grow peppers with a bare minimum equipment-wise. I would highly recommend investing in a germination tray (preferably heated but not absolutely necessary). There are several key elements necessary in good pepper propagation; 1) Heat, 2) Moisture and 3) Light. Keep your seeds warm and moist until they pop. Then pour the light on. If you have a grow light great! If not, a good sunny windowsill will work as well as a desklamp...

Keep it simple, don't overthink it and most important . . . . . . . ENJOY!!!!!

I was curious If you have to have a grow tent/lights/perfect environment to get your seeds to germinate and begin to grow? I am uber new to this and I dont have all of that tech. Please advise a slightly discouraged newbie LOL
absolutely not. My grow boxes are cardboard lined with insulated aluminum foil, and they sit under a normal fluorescent light in my utility room. for me (and the time I have to dedicate to growing peppers, which isn't much) the lower tech the better.

Depending on how many 72 cells trays you have going a simple cfl light might do or 4' fluorescent light might do for several trays.

I have been successful sprouting in a relatively cold garage with a $10 jiffy 72 cell green house and a $10 heat mat from ebay.

I do have to admit that while I was successful at sprouting seeds, I did kill off almost a full flat by leaving for the weekend after I took off the greenhouse lid. Dried those puppies right out. Oops!

So take my advice with a grain of salt, but I think the big picture is low budget can work.

Back