• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Starting Peppers Indoors

I'm starting a few peppers early indoors under 3500k LED. Two were started about one month ago and the rest at various times throughout the last two weeks.

Here is my pepper list 1 of each

Banana
Anaheim
Big Jim Hot Pepper (supposed to be biggest chilly pepper in the world with the heat of a jalapeno)
Pepperoncini
Habanada
And lastly seeds I saved from a small red pepper that looked like a small 3'' banana pepper

First I'm having a bit of trouble. The first two I planted (Anaheim and Habanada) in coco coir hydrated from an 11lb bail mixed with lobster compost. These sprouted and didn't grow a set of true leaves after two weeks. Now they are just starting to push out a set of leaves. The problem may have been a combination of overwatering and the lights were too close. Since figuring this out the lights have been raised to 30'' above the pots as per the seller recommendation yesterday.

Overview of the grow room (3'x3')
Aaxl8Ia.jpg

Habanada
BbmoiXo.jpg

Anaheim
Ckvu8IY.jpg

Lastly, a miniature rose I'm growing for fun
ZIT8n7w.jpg

As you can see the peppers are really small for two weeks since sprouting.

Good to see you underway, Johnny!

Have you given the coco coir any nutrients?

Several weeks in coir doesn’t give the plants
much to grow on, especially with the small
cotyledons.

PaulG said:
Good to see you underway, Johnny!

Have you given the coco coir any nutrients?

Several weeks in coir doesn’t give the plants
much to grow on, especially with the small
cotyledons.

I didn't think they were big enough for nutrients. If they are I have Biothrive grow (organic) or MaxGro (chemical) generally I use MaxiGro for everything. Half to 1 tsp per gallon of water

I might suggest some half or quarter strength
nutrients just to give them some impetus.

I have used General Hydroponics Rapid Start
on the seedlings with good results the past
couple of seasons.

PaulG said:
I might suggest some half or quarter strength
nutrients just to give them some impetus.

I have used General Hydroponics Rapid Start
on the seedlings with good results the past
couple of seasons.
I watered the plants with about 1/4 tsp Maxigro. Hopefully this helps

Getting your watering correct with young sprouts in such (relatively) big containers can be difficult and may be a factor.  I like to start with smaller containers until their roots are more developed and then transplant up.  The algae on the surface suggests they might be staying a bit too wet.

Fun grow list and good eating peppers!

EDIT:  Also, did you pre-charge your coir?  Those blocks aren't always immediately suitable to good growing, which may also factor in.

CaneDog said:
Getting your watering correct with young sprouts in such (relatively) big containers can be difficult and may be a factor.  I like to start with smaller containers until their roots are more developed and then transplant up.  The algae on the surface suggests they might be staying a bit too wet.

Fun grow list and good eating peppers!

EDIT:  Also, did you pre-charge your coir?  Those blocks aren't always immediately suitable to good growing, which may also factor in.
I don't have any small pots because I like to start plants in the final pot it will be grown in. The smallest pot I have is 7''x7''x8'' those are the black square pots you see in the picture. Which will be planted outside late may. The fabric pots are 3gal and will stay indoor to try indoor growing.

Unfortunately, I do tend to overwater sometimes especially when at the seedling stage.

No I didn't charge the coir instead mixed a little bit of lobster compost with the coir before planting. For my most recent planting I mixed in some vermiculite for drainage and soil texture.

Honestly, I just upgraded to these led lights and it has been a bit of a hassle compared to the old 400w Metal Halide in the same amount of space (3'x3' tent). They need to be about 3' above the seedlings whereas the MH could be placed 1'-2' away. The luxmeter on my phone says the light is about 13,000 lux at plant level if that helps.

Always room for a couple of more seeds, Johnny!

I hope you have great success with them!

Here is an update on the peppers. Still waiting on the last 3 to sprout.

Overview
8rs5Kql.jpg

Ana
tFMVsdG.jpg

Notice the purple leaves of the Pepperoncini
Ldavb29.jpg

The store peppers finally sprouted
FwhP81I.jpg

Lastly check out the rose doing wonderful
U4VXJoC.jpg

I also bought a moisture meter to get my watering down pat. Basically you just water when the gauge says 3 or lower. It works really good and yes I was over watering.

Good luck rounding things out with the Big Jim, Johnny.  I struck out with germinating them last season, but I have a feeling this year is going to be a good year for them. The foliage on the Pepperoncini looks great!  Do you know if that will stay as dark as the plants get bigger?

CaneDog said:
Good luck rounding things out with the Big Jim, Johnny.  I struck out with germinating them last season, but I have a feeling this year is going to be a good year for them. The foliage on the Pepperoncini looks great!  Do you know if that will stay as dark as the plants get bigger?
Thanks for the tip about big jim. Mine still haven't sprouted.

Unfortunately I don't know if the pepperoncini will stay purple or not. The other one which is in a bigger pot is not purple. So it's perplexing

Here is a small update on the plants. Almost everything has sprouted except the Big Jim's (from rareseeds). All my other seeds from rareseeds have sprouted so I'll hope for the best.

On to the pics

Banana pepper doing the best of all
JYnfRJx.jpg

Ana looking good
xXVU5PM.jpg

Sweet Hab looking good as well
cTF2JJy.jpg

The rose is starting to flower already!
uQZbsSF.jpg

Lastly an overview
6TNgixM.jpg

Also I am learning to water with the moisture meter. Happy to see less algae forming on the soil so that is good. And the plants look good just wish they would start growing.

So it's been a few weeks and some plants have been culled due to bad growth habits. Other than that all is growing well except at the beginning of their lives I overwatered too much. I think this may have stunted some of them however, they are growing out of it.

Following is an up close and personal photoshoot for each remaining plant

Golden Marconi
8jmgkyB.jpg

Habanada
9QZXnEa.jpg

Store pepper (my favorite)
AHMBsd9.jpg

Pepperoncini
6UmBTeG.jpg

Banana Pepper (best preforming)
wCe6aID.jpg

Anaheim