• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Yo dude,

Happy Easter!

Scott
Happy Easter to you too Scott! Goes out to errybody else too!

you give porter a big ol hug from sicman. whos a good boy?
LMAO...he gets his. Definitely the fam favorite. Had him the longest too. He is a good boy!

I am so far behind. Those are some beautiful plants and beautiful dogs. I looked through the pictures, but didn't read it all. I'll have to catch up later. Looks like things are going great! Wow!
Thanks, and congrats again on your recent engagment! You'll catch up, I wouldn't sentence anyone to going page by page, getting pretty out of control...AGAIN! :rofl:

Love the pics of Porter. Peppers around the pool. You live like a king my good man :dance:
Everybody loves that dog...he's a good one. Yup, I am pretty blessed around here! Good to hear from ya Pia!

Great update, my man! Pods, drip system, doggie, blue pool...what else could you want?! Nice! Love the shots of Porter.
Thanks Doc...mission accomplished on the pool and the drip for sure. I had to get those two up to speed this week. They're set on a 3 day cycle for 10 minutes with 1gph drippers for now. Will adjust as necessary as I proceed. That dog sure is a ham, he usually just sits watching as I garden, my other dog Lacey is my companion out there. She sits at my feet and moves with me from spot to spot with a "Whatcha doin' dad?" Look on her face...she's not a looker like porter is, but she shows him who's boss on the daily.

Great looking dogs!!!! Loved the captions!!!
I can almost hear those captions when I look at them too...

Well sorry I have been so absent from all your grows this week, but I sure did have a great (and very busy) week with my mom here. Loads of fun and the gardens are all done. Flowers, veggies and aside from the last 7 pepper plants that are still in the grow room they are done as well. I will give a hasty harden to the rest next weekend and be DONE TO THE DONE DONE as Pia would say! I also spent all day yesterday smoking up 60 lbs of chicken, 50 lbs of baby backs, cooking up 4 lbs of pintos and making about 2 gallons of slaw for a party tomorrow at work. Gonna eat well for sure!

Here's what's going on out there...
8607723941_74ce684533_b.jpg

The most recent addition to the plant space. I still have 7 empties in this group for the last few in the grow room.

8607722715_c7cc0104a5_b.jpg

Here is my garden helper Lacy...L to R Romy Mystery, Goat's Weed, Romy Mystery, (not)PI438638, 7 Pot White (SocalChilihead), Fatalii (Pulpiteer), Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1) and HP22B (DocNRock)

8607725001_b02b6e4c66_b.jpg

Yellow Cardi Scorpion

8607725921_af7bc53cbb_b.jpg

Yellow Cardi Scorpion

8607726829_4a9323a162_b.jpg

Yellow Billy Boy

I also did some plant grooming. I had big bushy plants last season, and I am hoping for the same this year so...
8607727627_ca90753440_b.jpg

I took out all the large leaves below the main fork on several plants hoping to boost growth at the nodes. I did the Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon a few days ago and it is already taking off.

Today I did a couple more...
8607722815_a052b12217_b.jpg

Like this Moruga. Hopefully I will see some added growth down low on this guy. Yup...that's a pod up there, a couple have set and more on the way from the looks of it!

8608841468_0969ac797d_b.jpg

Here is a recent addition to the team...found some Big Jims at the Depot and couldn't pass them up. Mama was upset when she heard I didn't have any green chilis going, so I threw in some Anaheims, but two of the three of those got yanked to make room for these!

8607739369_d8c3de883e_b.jpg

Here is one of the contest Birgits Locoto plants in its in-ground home...

I will leave you with a little of mama's color for Easter...
8608839502_f75bf45257_b.jpg

Dahlia...

Happy Easter again everyone. I will have a long week at work to surf all your stuff. Hope your weekends were as wonderful as mine!
Shane

Hey Shane, a couple of friends tasted your powder on some oysters I grilled on-the-half-shell.

I had the shells puddled-up with; butter, mashed garlic, scallion greens and some grated Parmesan cheese. I was sprinkling your powder onto my oysters and they did likewise.

Now, three of them want plants! I have plenty of seeds already started and, have more yet if we need to start some more for them. They already bought 50 Wally Bags and, are gonna buy some seed-starting stuff to contribute.

Your place is looking like peppadise! You do a great job with that yard Shane.

Hi Shane, Glad you got a solid week to spend quality time with your family and get your yard squared away before heading back to work. I'll be following your experiment with cropping lower leaves on the chiles to boost side branching. I already have a couple of chiles that dropped their leaves due to shock... we'll see what effect it has on the final shape of the plant and pod production. Cheers

Just got caught up again (for a moment, your glog grows like crazy... like your plants) and things are looking great. Those pots do look nice by your pool, which it seems you are not turning into an aquaculture pond, contrary to my awesome advice... I liked the dog pics as well, but I've gotta be honest, I really liked the dogs comments with the pictures, it's like a running commentary on your plants through your dog's eyes. I think there is potential there. I mean, you need to attract more people to this glog! How are you going to hit 1,000 pages by October if you don't add more flair (the multicolored pots worked for a short time, but c'mon - what have you done for us lately?).

8607722715_c7cc0104a5_b.jpg

Here is my garden helper Lacy...L to R Romy Mystery, Goat's Weed, Romy Mystery, (not)PI438638, 7 Pot White (SocalChilihead), Fatalii (Pulpiteer), Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1) and HP22B (DocNRock)

8607722815_a052b12217_b.jpg

Excellent work Shane!!! BRAVO!!!

I really like the round dripping system inside your pots! Very clever idea,water drips all around the plant, not just in one spot!

I think i'll copy that. Did you hand made it? Did you just poke holes all the way around?

And another question:
How large are the colorfull pots? They look big compared to Lacy (i love this dog!!!)

Your outdoor setup looks sweet bro! I like those drip rings around the plant. I always thought it was better to drip away from the stem to encourage root development but most systems I see drip next to the stem. Maybe you should make a ten foot ring for your Birgits :). Knowing you, that probably already in the works.

Loco/Dsh I used a few rings last year, and I thing PaulG used them on a larger scale. They are soaker tube with a T connection. I o my used them in the really big pots and around my Birgits...and yeah there is something else also going on in the birgits spot...if you look closely you will see a second soaker tube...

Loco...the largest colorful pots are a bit over 10 gallons, the smaller ones are 7 gallons and 2 gallons.

Big ole dude...I love that powder. The 4lbs of beans translated into two huge pots. Two teaspoons of powder made them all just about perfect spice wise! Good luck on yours!

Rick...you remember how most of my plants looked last year at this time? I am convinced that all the carnage boosted production...I am not topping them, just letting som light hit those lower nodes. Hope it pays off???

Jamison, the two I left in reserve indoors have passed the two outdoor plants...could have waited a couple more weeks, but I had the time to harden them off well last week during my leave so I went for it. I guess we'll see???

Pia, thanks lady!

Andy/Chris...that'll be funny. I will try to post some "Porter's Point of View" updates here and there to spice things up around this boring ole' GLOG!

May not make it home this week??? Big inspection at work next week!
Have a great week pepper fam!
Shane

Nice update Shane!

Flowers and pods? Can't beat that!

I'm interested to see how the trimming does, please make sure to notate this is the trimmed plant.....as I'm old and ferget hah! :P

Like the doggie picks, mine "help" by digging up my work...that's the first reason I fenced the garden...plant 180 onions and they dig up 165...

Take care,

Scott

Hey Shane, I know your wife likes the colored pots and, I do also. Have you ever considered comparing the performance of the pots to some of those "pouches"?

Ray, great question, as I'm entirely new, almost, to any pepper in a container, and have considered root pouches but with Shane's drip system--looks like 1/4th with stake and emitter coming off t from 1/2--that'd be hard to do with root pouches.

Shane, beautiful grow, hon!!! LOVE that Birgit! And the others still under lights! Love the pups, zinnias, love the spider, Pia :rofl:nice, nice pods, Shane!! And I like the colored pots . . . but would so use black nursery in a millisecond . . . still love the colors! You are using 1/4th off 1/2, right for drip? I forgot, .5 or 1 gal ph emitters? I'll probably go with the black nursery pots if former h.s. boyfriend-tree-nursery man, who has the 7 gals and up has saved some for me. Thanks Shane and indeed, you live on some version of Olympus! (I was with Ramon on the canon ball sign. It's not :shame: or :stop: but "You fixin' to bring out the :evil: in me!") Absolutely gorgeous stuff here! A lot of work!

That in-ground birgit is going to take-off once the roots realize that they are free to roam!

Looks like you have alot of in-ground real estate Shane! Time to butter up mama! Maybe offer up some more exclusive flower patches?!

BTW your potted grizzly plants are doing a great job holding those bamboo rods up!

Here you go all you Porter lovers...here is his weekly view of the plants. I will post my view tomorrow.
Hahahaha, your glog isn't boring at all!

But the Porter commentary was hilarious :)

:rofl:
Hope that gave you that Porter fix! lol

Nice update Shane!

Flowers and pods? Can't beat that!

I'm interested to see how the trimming does, please make sure to notate this is the trimmed plant.....as I'm old and ferget hah! :P

Like the doggie picks, mine "help" by digging up my work...that's the first reason I fenced the garden...plant 180 onions and they dig up 165...

Take care,

Scott
Flowers...pods and MATERS! More to follow tomorrow including on the trimmed plant update! Thanks!

Geez what a shitty grow log. No wonder nobody ever checks this thread out. Learn how to grow some peppers and I might frequent this thang you call a glog more often :drunk:
I know right? I almost wanna set my puter on fire when I read through this crap!

YOU LAUGHING AT ME? ARE YA?!?!?! PUNK!!! :rofl:

Hey Shane, I know your wife likes the colored pots and, I do also. Have you ever considered comparing the performance of the pots to some of those "pouches"?
Debated trying airpots and grow bags of various types last year and this year, but keep putting it off. Maybe next year???

Ray, great question, as I'm entirely new, almost, to any pepper in a container, and have considered root pouches but with Shane's drip system--looks like 1/4th with stake and emitter coming off t from 1/2--that'd be hard to do with root pouches.

Shane, beautiful grow, hon!!! LOVE that Birgit! And the others still under lights! Love the pups, zinnias, love the spider, Pia :rofl:nice, nice pods, Shane!! And I like the colored pots . . . but would so use black nursery in a millisecond . . . still love the colors! You are using 1/4th off 1/2, right for drip? I forgot, .5 or 1 gal ph emitters? I'll probably go with the black nursery pots if former h.s. boyfriend-tree-nursery man, who has the 7 gals and up has saved some for me. Thanks Shane and indeed, you live on some version of Olympus! (I was with Ramon on the canon ball sign. It's not :shame: or :stop: but "You fixin' to bring out the :evil: in me!") Absolutely gorgeous stuff here! A lot of work!
Yup 1/2" to 1/4" tubing and fittings with 1gph drippers set to 10 minutes every 3 days right now. In the heat of summer they'll be set to water 7 minutes 2 or 3 times a day. I think I could get the drip to work with the root pouches...just take some creativity. The black plastic pots worked very well for my, but mine are almost all 5# and a bit to small for these big boys. The kids do get carried away in the pool...then the dogs get in and out shaking off by the plants every time. The plants take a little beating but keep on trucking anyway!

That in-ground birgit is going to take-off once the roots realize that they are free to roam!

Looks like you have alot of in-ground real estate Shane! Time to butter up mama! Maybe offer up some more exclusive flower patches?!

BTW your potted grizzly plants are doing a great job holding those bamboo rods up!
By the looks of the two reserve plants still in the grow room I wish I would have taken them all to 5# in there and then transplanted outside when they were about 4' tall...big bug problems and mid 40s lows have them pretty slow outside, but they'll find their stride. They're still doing very well out there and are growing just not at the crazy rate the ones in the grow room palace are.

Plenty of room in the ground, and I used it last year to grow some monsters. Great soil, but I was afraid the virus was still in the soil, so I chose to lay off in ground peppers and maters for a year or two...I'll just keep working in that fresh compost and manure for now and pulling all the wild nightshade, pepper and tomato volunteers until then.

Real post tomorrow folks! See you then,
Shane

Back