• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Gotta thank Mr. Shane for sharing some awesome wild varieties of seed.  Everyone
is awesome and I can't wait to grow some out! So, thanks, my friend.  The chief
strikes again!
_DSC1089a_zpsf7af0d39.jpg

Hi Shane, Just wanted to let you know that I planted 4 of the Pequin seeds you sent me and they've all germinated!  I also got 2/4 from your Wild Brazil seeds as well. Add hooks from Smokemaster's Pequin seeds and Spicegeist's Chintexle and I'll have plenty of wild varieties for this season. Thanks again Chief!

Teurf said:
Wow this grow log is just unreal. I can't stop reading it. And I will also move south lol

Thanks for the epic story
Teurf
Thanks Teurf! I respect all you folks that put up with that northern ccccold! Come on down and enjoy the weather! Only problem is you have to tolerate the people as well...

stickman said:
Hi Shane, Just wanted to let you know that I planted 4 of the Pequin seeds you sent me and they've all germinated!  I also got 2/4 from your Wild Brazil seeds as well. Add hooks from Smokemaster's Pequin seeds and Spicegeist's Chintexle and I'll have plenty of wild varieties for this season. Thanks again Chief!
Haha...Rickster, you realize this is last year's Glog... :rofl:
glad they popped for you just the same brotha! Gonna be a fun year with all these wilds going around. Funny how the pepper growers have come full circle...from the newest and hottest all the way back to the wildest and rarest...the OG peppas!

Thanks for a great glog, Shane!
I really enjoy your pics. One has to admire how much you accomplish.
I'm so glad I don't have to bear the burden of all those huge harvests, day after day after day after...!

stc3248 said:
Thank you all so much...I don't know if  I will have a glog for the coming season. I may not even grow??? Just too much...one more year of only being home weekends ahead, then hopefully back at the casa on a more steady basis. I figured I would close this one down in style with a couple foodies from today's New Years meal...

Poppers and Chile Con Queso for mid day snacks followed by smoked Country Style and Baby Back Pork Ribs with Mustard Greens, Black Eyed Peas, Butter Noodles and Yorkshire Pudding...
uD9J9Gg.jpg

TwG0mNx.jpg

6uaRB0R.jpg

pSUJWjo.jpg

VnGgltr.jpg

ZMbL9NG.jpg

Sure was good...Happy New Year all and once again thank you all for the great support this year! :party:

That is all...
Shane
 WTG on a stellar season, hats off to you once again.       FAT TIRE!

Back