• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

STC3248, Just Another Grow Log! Holiday Harvest!

Still waiting on the supers...but the rest are sprouted and under lights. This will be my first attempt at supers. Fingers crossed. I am so lost in the labels. I don't know how some of you keep them all straight??? I know I got most of them right...but had a couple random seeds pop up under the starter pellets...lolEdit: This was my STARTING listJalapenoBlack CobraMucho Nacho JalapenoBellPoblanoCaribbean RedChocolate HabaneroAnaheimCayenneTrinidad ScorpionBhut Jolokia Red/Yellow/Chocolate/White/PurpleFataliPequin ChiapasAmigo Diablo Bombay MorichDorset NagaLg Yellow 7 Pot7 Pot RedDouglahBishops Crownand OrnamentalsHere is the FINAL revised list! lol yeah right! Got some slow movers on here...GREEN: planted last night 3 February...didn't soak, so they may take a bit longer than normalORANGE: Planted 25 JanuaryBLUE: Planted 13 JanuaryBLACK: Planted 5 JanuaryFish 0/2Wild Brazil (Cumari) 0/2Tepin 0/2Aji Omnicolor 0/2Yellow Scotch Bonnet 0/2Goccia d'Oro 0/2Red Lantern Habanero 0/2Brain Strain 0/2Billy Boy Douglah 0/2Peruvian White Bullet Hab 0/2Kaval F-1 0/27 Pot Primo 0/27 Pot Monster Infinity 0/2Devil's Tongue Brown 0/2Bhut Jolokia Orange 0/2Black Naga 1/2Bhut Jolokia Purple 4/4 Bhut Jolokia White 4/4 Bhut Jolokia Red 4/4Bhut Jolokia Yellow 2/4 :whistle:Bhut Jolokia Chocolate 4/4 7 Pot Red 4/4 7 Pot Lg Yellow 4/4 Fatali 4/4 Chocolate Hab 4/4 Bishops Crown 4/4 Pequine 4/4 Trinidad Scorpion 3/4Established Plants:Caribbean Red x5Black Cobra x6Jalapeno x6Mucho Nacho Jalapeno x8Cayenne x6Bell x4Poblano x3Anaheim x3
SD530668.jpg
SD530717.jpg
SD530719.jpg
My 10 year old is responsible for the artwork on the cups!

Fell short on my run yesterday. Had stomach problems and had to drop at mile 74...good news is, I HAVE PEPPERS TO PICK TODAY!

Dude, that's still like three marathons back to back. Crazy. Congrats on making it that far. Like Romy6 said, I doubt I could do 0.74 miles anymore.

I can't imagine running a tenth of that distance without stomach problems, let alone with them. Good on ya Shane! Hopefully now it's time to stand down and unwind a bit through the holidays before picking up the next serious challenge. Cheers!

Thanks fellas...The race was a bit of a disappointment, but I learned some things. I started very slow and was 45 minutes behind my times from last year at the 25 mile mark. At mile 40 I was about a half hour ahead, and by mile 68 I was over an hour and a half better than last year. The stomach trouble started early and got progressively worse. Between the checkpoint at 68 and 74 I literally got lost in the clouds. Although I have run that part of the course dozens of times. I missed a trail marker near the highest peak and ended up running 4.5 extra miles trying to find my way out. It took me almost 4 hours to cover the 6 miles between those two points. The trail was not well marked up there, and one guy actually had to call in a helo for himself at the same point in the course. My stomach was very distended and I was so sick I couldn't even open a gel pack without heaving, so I was done. I do these crazy things to figure out my limits, and I found them on this one! I am already planning on another one soon... :crazy:

'Nuff of that stuff! I told you I had some peppers to pick so...
gallery_5729_13_217236.jpg

Poblano

gallery_5729_13_2653809.jpg

Goat's Weed

gallery_5729_13_2710977.jpg

Goat's Weed

gallery_5729_13_2456595.jpg

Yellow Bhut

gallery_5729_13_2055927.jpg

Yellow 7X

gallery_5729_13_1244640.jpg

Wild Brazil

gallery_5729_13_1651338.jpg

Aji Omnicolor

gallery_5729_13_1700346.jpg

Crazy Bhut

gallery_5729_13_2505238.jpg

Black Naga

gallery_5729_13_5185975.jpg

The money shot!

The plants are still kicking and throwing out a few new pods, but this past Monday I had frost on my car when I left for work. A couple plants frosted back a little, but they don't wanna be done yet, so I will leave them be despite momma's complaints!

I will be on here more often now that I have the dumb stuff behind me...for now! :whistle:

Still most excellent money shots Shane! Think you'll still have chiles coming in when you start the next round in about 6 weeks or so? How many will you keep over for next year?

Still most excellent money shots Shane! Think you'll still have chiles coming in when you start the next round in about 6 weeks or so? How many will you keep over for next year?
I don't know...I suppose some of the more cold hearty varieties will still be kicking out a few pods into mid December, but although I live in Socal I am far from the water and in the foothills, so a cold snap could take them any time. When they're gone, they're gone. I don't dare keep any for fear of a repeat viral episode. Will be hard enough to keep new plants clean with volunteers sure to spring up. My grow will be very small compared to this season. Maybe 20ish plants, which will be hard considering I have received so many great seed varieties from everyone. I haven't even decided which ones will make the cut. Wow...almost time to fire up a new glog saga for 13!

Nice job Shane. Really 74?!! I know it's disappointing for you. But would be beyond our lifetimes accomplishments. Good Job. And as for doc running .74. Ill finish the .26miles!! Nice $$ shot

Wow, that recap of the race made me hurt just reading it. You breezed through the first 60 miles in the description, and I'm reading along, then I think, wait.. 60 miles? Craziness. I think possibly your stomach was the only sane part of you at that point. I don't blame it for making you quit. Craziness. But well done - I'm impressed. And look at those peppers keep rolling in... Nice.

Just like a timex eh?...or maybe I should say Resco? hmm,....you only basically ran 3 marathons in a row,at once....and you're going back for more. ;) !Pop that gel pack an hour earlier next time... :woohoo:

Nice money shot-glad the virus didn't shut you down!
Well, I'm only 1,209,626' from the dirt and should hit the beach in 17 hrs.....got 2 habs left....whew!.

Great harvest and that 74 miles that is way to much for me I think after 25 mile mark I would be taking water and nap breaks lol. Those Jalapeno just look way to tasty on the picture. Can not wait to see your list and any projects that may come about in the process for 2013.

whoa, nice pics Shane!

and 74miles? that is just crazy. Well, i think its time... the Spartathlon beckons...

Btw, i still have long ways to catch up to you, in terms of running and peppers.

That's a crazy harvest dude. It never ends in your neck of the woods. When will you start seeds for next season?
I just put my dirt shovels away in trade for the flat ones that scrape the sidewalks. Its 60 deg here today by next week could be in the 20's... :cry:

Last year I let the Goats Weed sundry on the plant.....They were just hanging around .....through the winter....and still viable

Just visited this glog for the first time. Scanned through most of it to get to the harvest shots. Incredible! Can only imagine what would have been with no virus to hold it back. Very impressive grow. :clap:
It's really interesting to see a whole season laid out from start to finish. I'm just at the pre pod phase where plants are getting buds and flowers and the anticipation is building so its teasing to see your harvests. I'll be more than happy if I can get similar production.
Good luck for next year. :)

Mail just came, and lookie what I found!
IMG_0615.jpg

A small FRB with big deliciousness inside!!! Haven't tried the Smoked Haba-Peno powder yet but...

IMG_0614.jpg
;)
Both sauces are freaking fantastic! That's leftover T-Bone in my afternoon snack...perfect match for both sauces...Thanks Bill!

Came home to some frost damaged plants, but some not. May pull a small harvest between hanging lights (the same frost prevention strands from earlier in the season make for nice holiday decorations too ;) ) and trying to get to the other honey do's around here. Hope everyone's weekend started out as kick-a as mine did!

Nice job Shane. Really 74?!! I know it's disappointing for you. But would be beyond our lifetimes accomplishments. Good Job. And as for doc running .74. Ill finish the .26miles!! Nice $$ shot
Thanks Denniz...I'll get it next time. Gotta figure out a better food plan is all. The rest of me held up way better than last year.

Wow, that recap of the race made me hurt just reading it. You breezed through the first 60 miles in the description, and I'm reading along, then I think, wait.. 60 miles? Craziness. I think possibly your stomach was the only sane part of you at that point. I don't blame it for making you quit. Craziness. But well done - I'm impressed. And look at those peppers keep rolling in... Nice.
Andy...the pain is temporary, the experience is life altering. I will conquer that beast next year...the rest of this one is going to be dedicated to emptying my freezers ASAP so momma will let me plant again after Christmas!

Just like a timex eh?...or maybe I should say Resco? hmm,....you only basically ran 3 marathons in a row,at once....and you're going back for more. ;) !Pop that gel pack an hour earlier next time... :woohoo:

Nice money shot-glad the virus didn't shut you down!
Well, I'm only 1,209,626' from the dirt and should hit the beach in 17 hrs.....got 2 habs left....whew!.
Dave my friend...More like my Tag, takes a licking...but then starts leaking. Damn thing fogs up on hot days now and I don't dare take it in the shower now, which is a shame when its told time at 200' for me before. Hot tub took it out in Panama City and even after repairs it won't hold its seal. I was taking gels on the every 30 minutes and real food at the aid stations...but to no avail. When you're done you're done...

Good news is there's another one next year, and a couple more before then to get done plus a WHOLE lot of peppers to process!!!!!

Great harvest and that 74 miles that is way to much for me I think after 25 mile mark I would be taking water and nap breaks lol. Those Jalapeno just look way to tasty on the picture. Can not wait to see your list and any projects that may come about in the process for 2013.
There are plenty of folks that attempt "naps" at the aid stations, but once you stop you're usually just done. All these late season peppers are super sweet and a bit milder than my Summer pods. I really like the mellowed nature and added sweetness of the cool season pods. Too bad I gotta scrap them all, I may start a couple early plants soon...we shall see!

whoa, nice pics Shane!

and 74miles? that is just crazy. Well, i think its time... the Spartathlon beckons...

Btw, i still have long ways to catch up to you, in terms of running and peppers.
Thanks! I enjoyed almost every step...just keep putting one foot in front of the other the distance and time are unimportant, its what happens in the middle that counts.

That's a crazy harvest dude. It never ends in your neck of the woods. When will you start seeds for next season?
I just put my dirt shovels away in trade for the flat ones that scrape the sidewalks. Its 60 deg here today by next week could be in the 20's... :cry:

Last year I let the Goats Weed sundry on the plant.....They were just hanging around .....through the winter....and still viable
Greg, I'm letting some dry on the plant as well, but more due to lack of attention and time. Once I pull them I throw them in a mixed bowl to crush up in recipes or grind over my dinner. It's been frosty here a few morning, but I sure ain't complaining...been in one brutal Chicago winter (boot camp 1996) and I never wanna go back! Cold and depressing. I like the cold...but in small doses. Can't wait to follow your overwinter pics again. Most of my seeds will hit the heat mat at the end of December...

Just visited this glog for the first time. Scanned through most of it to get to the harvest shots. Incredible! Can only imagine what would have been with no virus to hold it back. Very impressive grow. :clap:
It's really interesting to see a whole season laid out from start to finish. I'm just at the pre pod phase where plants are getting buds and flowers and the anticipation is building so its teasing to see your harvests. I'll be more than happy if I can get similar production.
Good luck for next year. :)
Thanks for the visit! I was very ambitious at the beginning of the season, and that began to fade a bit toward the end. I routinely go back through by old pages to remember how it all evolved. I had a ton of fun this season and learned a so much from all the other great growers on here. This is a really great site and I have really enjoyed getting to know the folks on the other side of the keyboard. Sharing with them...and receiving the love in return. The virus was just another lesson to be learned, and when things are easy they don't feel as awesome when accomplished!

Glad I could send a little happiness your way Shane. That T-Bone looks mighty tasty. Have a great weekend Brother.
T-bone was great...but your sauces made it freaking amazing! Let me know if you need anything brother!

Howdy, brother! Glad to hear the 100 miler didn't kill you outright.
The reward is in the effort; you may have 'only' gone 74 miles, but
the gains for you are immeasurable. Good work, dude, we're all
proud of you!

Your harvest and pod shots are great! Have missed them a little
while you've been training! Glad to see the Christmas Lights are
coming out. Seeing those in action last winter is one of my all time
favorite THP moments! The pic at night with the lights strung out
around the yard, and in the 'greenhouse' was an all-timer! Are you
going to be using your 'greenhouse' set-up again this year?

Anyway, buddy, here's wishing you and your family the best holiday
season ever complete with a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Still pulling pods Shane? my wife was actually out your way a couple of weeks ago. She had a big conference in San Diego for work. She had a blast drank some good wine and got to go out to Mirimar and have dinner at the O Club where Top Gun was filmed. In fact they were showing Top Gun while they were there. Funny to think that they keep it showing when ever they're open.

Hope you having a good week

@ Paul...Dropping was the right decision on that day. First time I ever had to make that call, but nothing to be done about it. Christmas lights are doing what they were designed for as per mommas demands...but they will be doing what they're best for shortly after that!

@ Jamie...What up brother???

@ Pia...thanks for liking even the spider infested posts! Good to hear from ya!

@ Bill...Yup, still have some pods ripe/ripening! Will be pulled soon so I can begin the sterilization process so I don't have a repeat performance by the mottle virus next season...'bout done anyway. The Kansas City BBQ where they filmed the piano "Take me to bed or lose me forever" scene is still open downtown as well. They had a fire a couple years ago, but are reopened and really make downtown smell good when they have their smokers fired up. Glad she had a fun trip!

I have really been slacking lately. I've had to refocus on family a bit. Really tough schedule this year and no end in sight. So my free time is being spent with them and not the few pods I have ripening or running the trails. I keep promising some pics of the ones still producing, but I think I am going to start using the words might or may when I talk about updating. So, "maybe" this weekend I will snap a few pics. A couple plants are actually still putting on new pods!

Have a great weekend folks!!!
Shane

Back