• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248's 2014 small wild grow

Well...after much debate between mama and I, WE (she) have come to the conclusion that I may have grown a few too many plants the past few seasons??? :whistle:  :crazy:

2012 I grew out about 70 plants not including the huge number of ornamental peppers which about doubled that number. I didn't regularly harvest the ornamental plants so I ain't counting those...and in spite of some virus issues I was able to put together an epic season. So epic in fact that I had to purchase a chest freezer to store all the excess pods for future processing. 
gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

Here is one 2012 pull...I had numbers like this EVERY weekend! My season started (too) early and lasted until Christmas that year. I finally finished processing them just before I started pulling pods from my 2013 plants...

2013 was a "smaller" grow and in spite of my best efforts to keep the target of 20 keepers I promised the wife...I still ended up with over 50 plants. The "problem" in 2013 was...I really had no problems. My plants stayed healthy which meant...even more and bigger pulls...
8jOj6q7.jpg

A 2013 pull...

1vMnn2m.jpg

and another...

The hits once again kept on coming. Every weekend...thousands of pods. Which is a great freaking problem to have, but not according to mama. :stop:

So this year is gonna be a real deal small grow. I have talked her into letting me grow out 5 plants all of which are awesome wilds that I am super excited about. All 5 varieties are from John (Pr0digal_son) I have so many cool varieties left in the seed bank, but they'll have to wait until I have more time to dedicate to my garden and family. 

For the past two years I have been a "geobachelor" which is a military term for folks that are stationed away from their families. I am only home on weekends...so dedicating so much of my few days home for the past two years to my grow has really been kinda selfish. 

All that being said, I am still a grow addict...so I have talked her into allowing a few more "must have" varieties. So to my 5 wilds I will be adding a couple staple varieties...oh and wait, I am overwintering 7 plants...well really 11 but 4 are just ornamentals for Bonchi plants. :rofl:

One overwinter is my growdown winner Birgit's Locoto...
Q8uHT1O.jpg

Official measurement for the contest was just over 11' tall. Seeds started on Valentines Day and final measurement on Halloween...fun contest. Haven't seen a growdown posted for this season??? Keep your eyes peeled folks, tons of fun!!!

Here is the list for 2014...
MnXBZ8B.jpg

Well not really a list as much as a photo...started 4 seeds each.

eXv4Twj.jpg

Soaked overnight...

7WH0E4w.jpg

Into peat pellets...

WrS7b9L.jpg

and set in the magic temp zone on the heat mat...

WPdRxsr.jpg

I verify temps using a meat thermometer and will monitor until It stays in the right temp area. 

8TA4kJ7.jpg

Temps slowly climbing for now...and there won't be much to report on for a while. These varieties are notorious for slow germination.

C. Tovarii 0/4
C. Exile Chacoense 0/4
C. Eximium 0/4
C. Galapagoense 0/4
Huge Rocopica 0/4

To those awesome varieties add the overwinters:
Birgits Locoto (3)
Romy Mystery Plant (2)
Pequin (1)
Goat's Weed (1)
Manzano (2) (still alive, but not attempting to overwinter...not gonna kill them on purpose though!!!)

I will also be sarting some Jals (Mucho Nacho) and Numex Big Jim's a bit later.

Here are links to my past two season's glogs...in case you're bored and have about a week to try to get through them both.
2012: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27268-stc3248-just-another-grow-log-holiday-harvest/?hl=%20stc3248%20%202012
2013: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/36599-stc3248-2013-grow-log-seasons-greetings-and-seasons-end/

It for now folks...welcome to 2014!!! I will update when I can and show my growroom and the progress of the rest of the overwinter plants...Thanks for looking in, there are a ton of glogs this year! 

Looking good Shane!

Never know where those volunteers will pop up! Andy's correct, you're lucky to find the varieties in a nursery. I just started seeing Habs in the San Antonio stores. You would think with the heritage we have here there would be more selection.

I'm in the same boat with the wind, makes for non-photogenic plants, if not plain beat up. They'll just have to put their big girl panties on and grow! Which they will.

Keep it green!

Thanks for the info Shane! Loving the pics of your grow... Can't wait to see the wild jingle.

Hoping a week or so in and indirect balcony hardened my guys alright. A little concerned they've never seen full sun just yet, but there's no real way to ease them into it.

millworkman said:
Awesome stuff Shane. Can't wait to get my little furry Rome cross going. That birgit, if you ever decide you don't want her anymore, would make an awesome bonsai IF you can get some shoots about 8-10 inches off the soil line.
Those Romy X's are some growers and they look great too. You won't be disappointed. More to follow on the Birgits Bonsai!

Penny said:
I agree, awesome pics and updates Shane :dance: ....everything looks amazing ;) . Nice to see you too ;) , and Congrats to your daughter on her acceptance to her school of choice. Its so exciting when they get into the school that they want. :dance:
Thanks Penny! Lol...I try not to get into too many pics at work, but they always catch me at least once or twice. She sure is excited about college, finger's crossed she's still as excited this time next year! :pray:

Pulpiteer said:
Crazy how those "volunteers" sprung up at the nursery :rofl:

I am amazed at the plants you guys can find at different nurseries.  It's tough to even find a red bhut here, and half of the time I'm not even certain that is what the plant actually is.  And you found a fatalii?  It bet it will even be one of those fancy "right colored, right shaped ones" too, unlike the ones you grew from me last year. 

Finally, it blows my mind that the birgit made it through the winter.  I cannot even fathom such a thing living where I do.  What in the world will it look like at the end of this season?
Yeah...those nurseries have a ton of volunteers ripe for the picking. We really are lucky to have such a variety out here. They usually have a much bigger and better selection, but it is still a little early. They usually carry an assortment of supers, wilds, pubescence as well as the typical and not-so typical annuums. May go back in a week or two to see what other volunteers have sprung up. The Fatalii I grew here from you was spot on perfect. The one I sent Bonnie was the red one...both great peppers though!

The Birgit continues to surprise me. She didn't even struggle, and while we do have very mild winters here we usually have lows in the 20s most of January and February...none this year.  :dance:

Jeff H said:

Shane picking peppers at the end of next year. LOLOL

Lmao...I just ain't picking those top ones! We'll have to see how tall she gets???

HillBilly Jeff said:
Plants are looking nice.
Thanks Jeff!!!

Devv said:
Looking good Shane!

Never know where those volunteers will pop up! Andy's correct, you're lucky to find the varieties in a nursery. I just started seeing Habs in the San Antonio stores. You would think with the heritage we have here there would be more selection.

I'm in the same boat with the wind, makes for non-photogenic plants, if not plain beat up. They'll just have to put their big girl panties on and grow! Which they will.

Keep it green!
Hey Scott! Those volunteers sure are sneaky that way! As I said above, our local nursery really is cool. Always worth a visit if you're ever out in SD! The wind is always brutal, but it has been exceptionally brutal this past week, the barracks plants sure are beat up. They'll find a way ahead once they put on some of those smaller outside leaves and their stems get used to the constant support required...I hope anyway.

maximumcapsicum said:
Thanks for the info Shane! Loving the pics of your grow... Can't wait to see the wild jingle.

Hoping a week or so in and indirect balcony hardened my guys alright. A little concerned they've never seen full sun just yet, but there's no real way to ease them into it.
Anytime MC!!! I always try to get them in some direct sun first. A good way is to find a spot on the north side of a structure or tree to put them where they'll get direct sun early and late with shade during the middle of the day. The best way is to shuffle them in and out for an hour or so into the sun, but having time to do that is the challenge. Even if your technique isn't great...they'll just be ugly for a little while until some new leaves come in.

Pinoy83 said:
and the monstrous project had begun...... 
Lol...yeah man. 

Well it's been a rough week. I think I lost all of the Bonchis. They dried out and burned up. One or two may make it, but its doubtful. Oh well...I have some others I may be able to chop up later on. The decision to put the overwintered Pequin in the ground for one more year should have prevented it's death...but in the same week...
DQpojLN.jpg

It looked like this...@#$%^^ gopher!!! Gnawed it off at the base...

afnRreS.jpg

Ughhhhh....

hLKF4K7.jpg

I dug down and it looks as though there may be a few nodes for it to try to spring back with...time will tell. Very frustrating. I don't know what sort of damage and voids it created down by the roots??? Since it was sooooo hungry it had to eat my plant, I fed it some special gopher food...which it quickly accepted. He/she will be fertilizer now. 
8GTt4Rf.jpg

Speaking of Birgit-Bonchis...here is the one I grew in the 18# tote last season. I cut it back and was beginning to wonder, but back it came...finally! I may put this one in a little pot and keep it on my desk under the lamp at the barracks where I can babysit it a little better.

lkmRYJF.jpg

I may also Bonchi one of the two Romy Mysteries that are already starting to put on new pods...

cakf3DD.jpg

The Pomegranates I started last year are another bonsai project. I am braiding this one into a circle...why...heck I dunno, seemed like the thing to do at the time???

dwfuua3.jpg

Here is another one I am braiding, but this one is straight up. Not pictured is one that was bent over by the wind and is doing a natural form of LST, pretty cool looking.

3jl6aTP.jpg

Gazanias (and weeds) are sure loving the weather!

22EiPLR.jpg

This is what the barracks plants look like...but hey, less leaves, less wind resistance right???

PY5QeAO.jpg

And finally the whole barracks crew...hanging in there. The pepperproblem plant is sort of sheltering the Jalafuego which looks almost unharmed by the recent wind storms. 

More to follow, lots of good with the bad around here, but I do need just a little more yin with all this yang...lol

Happy Friday errybody!
Shane

im eyeing for your glog again...they just crazy fun to watch :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
i think i have romys mystery aswell the tall one you have the beat up one.....but i killed them and replaced it with my Hawaiian ghost chili, im pretty sure you gonna love these pepper, they're bite size to your liking.....i planted like 10 from the mother plant, and checking if its stable, so far so good the babies are producing pods now...let me know if you wanna try grow this pepper of mine

I seem to recall you having rodent problems a couple of years ago Shane, sorry to hear they came back. :(  On the plus side, it's great to see your plants are putting out flowers and pods! :dance:

In town gophers are everywhere! I guess know I'm lucky as I have yet to see one or a sign of one here, maybe it's because the rock is just 2 feet below the topsoil sand. Sorry the bastard ate your plant, but the end resulting compost is a slight reward. :D

The wind, yep it sucks, mine are starting to get used to it...they have no choice! And you're correct they get stiffer stems and smaller leaves, leaves, they're everywhere.

Liking that pic of the Romy mystery! Speaking of likes, I'm out :mope: , I'm such a slut...

Enjoy the weekend!

Plants are looking good Shane. Sorry about the loss to the gopher, but good thing you got him before he did to much damage.

Find any more volunteers yet?

The para-cord cracks me up. It is as thick as the stem of the plant you are tying up. IIRC, you go through a lot of it during the course of the year.

That gopher went and made things personal. I'm glad you were able to take care of business so quickly.
Plants are looking great though, I think.  The wind battles will only make them tougher.  I love the barracks crew.  That's got to help a little as far as being away from home so much.

Pinoy83 said:
im eyeing for your glog again...they just crazy fun to watch 
i think i have romys mystery aswell the tall one you have the beat up one.....but i killed them and replaced it with my Hawaiian ghost chili, im pretty sure you gonna love these pepper, they're bite size to your liking.....i planted like 10 from the mother plant, and checking if its stable, so far so good the babies are producing pods now...let me know if you wanna try grow this pepper of mine
Thanks Pinoy! I was just out in your neighborhood! Kaua'i, not much happening, but sure is a perdy place. I may try your pepper next season, we'll have to see where the Navy sends me next.

stickman said:
I seem to recall you having rodent problems a couple of years ago Shane, sorry to hear they came back.  On the plus side, it's great to see your plants are putting out flowers and pods! 
Yeah, year before last it was packrats stealing my tomatoes...then last season a gopher almost took out my throwdown plant...now this. I had hopes it might  bud back out, but before the food I gave it kicked in it came back and took out the roots the next morning. Oh well...stuff happens I suppose. It also took out a whole row of onions which I replanted along with some garlic in that spot. I may put some of my other wilds in there once they get a bit bigger and I am certain the medicine has kicked in on that big rat.

Devv said:
In town gophers are everywhere! I guess know I'm lucky as I have yet to see one or a sign of one here, maybe it's because the rock is just 2 feet below the topsoil sand. Sorry the bastard ate your plant, but the end resulting compost is a slight reward. :D

The wind, yep it sucks, mine are starting to get used to it...they have no choice! And you're correct they get stiffer stems and smaller leaves, leaves, they're everywhere.

Liking that pic of the Romy mystery! Speaking of likes, I'm out , I'm such a slut...

Enjoy the weekend!
Haha...we all come up against the like police from time to time. Count your blessings on the gophers...they're a constant threat here, but they've never caused any major issues until this time. I usually just let them dig where they wanna, but not anymore...its freakin on now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lYm0c7gYyU&list=RD3lYm0c7gYyU&feature=share

HolyP said:
Too bad about your bonchis, i would have loved to see how they turn out.
I'm hoping that  you'll give it a go again
Yeah...I liked them too, but I'll make some more!

Jeff H said:
Plants are looking good Shane. Sorry about the loss to the gopher, but good thing you got him before he did to much damage.

Find any more volunteers yet?

The para-cord cracks me up. It is as thick as the stem of the plant you are tying up. IIRC, you go through a lot of it during the course of the year.
Gopher shmopher...will be looking for some more volunteers tomorrow. :shh:  Para-chord (550 cord) and duct tape make the world go round!  :rofl:

Pulpiteer said:
That gopher went and made things personal. I'm glad you were able to take care of business so quickly.
Plants are looking great though, I think.  The wind battles will only make them tougher.  I love the barracks crew.  That's got to help a little as far as being away from home so much.
Having a few plants to talk to in the evenings at work sure does make it more easy to deal with. Haha...not sure what it does to my reputation when the young Sailors I lead see me doing it??? Ahh...who cares.  :party: They're doing better and starting to pod up...we're having a heat wave and they should really start to take off.

Well as I mentioned to Pinoy above. I was FORCED to have to spend a week in Kaua'i Hawaii...terrible stuff. We're testing a new missile system out there. We're going back out in a month for the actual event. This trip was just to identify any safety concerns and such. What a beautiful place. Kaua'i is a little off the typical tourists radar, but I highly recommend it to anyone looking for stunning scenery and smaller crowds. They actually filmed Jurassic Park on Kaua'i. For a small island it sure packs some stunning views and very treacherous terrain. We had the redeye leaving there, so we had a full day to take a look around. Here are some pics.
U1V31El.jpg

w1tfJcm.jpg

YeAcGQk.jpg

ibzgrNf.jpg

XuCemLV.jpg

The waterfall in the upper left was featured in the helicopter scene of Jurassic Park.

gR5JCia.jpg

UgQb6ed.jpg

OdnEW3V.jpg

gG1eYLq.jpg

MmJ9SCp.jpg

Only had my Iphone camera to take pics with this trip...will take the DSLR next trip. 

With a bump I will throw up some pepper pics!!!

Thanks guys!

Here are how the home plants look...
wleNKbF.jpg

Jalapeno Row...

Mis6XjI.jpg

One of the Mucho Nacho plants...

J5vTv7s.jpg

Here are the Numex types moving right along. 

26jEFr2.jpg

C. Chacoense var Exile...

Pm30hLS.jpg

Another C. Chacoense Var Exile

d4wBtuC.jpg

CGN 19198 some weeding needed.

nRrYARQ.jpg

The original seeds planted over two months ago continue to pop sporadically...this one is a C. Eximium. Still no Tovarii...but I ain't giving up just yet. This one is a cool double double. I have seen folks with 4 coty plants, usually conjoined twins. This one is two sets of double leaves. I wonder if it's twins???

tfdblOm.jpg

The pepperproblem plant is loading up...maybe two dozen little pods so far and about a bajillion flowers open. I wonder if these new pods will look different than the tiny pods it had over winter???

Couple critter pics to end with...
Qkw1wZr.jpg

Scrub Jay

yfW9VCR.jpg

Southern Sagebrush Lizzard...

All for now, some more stuff to post, but will have to wait until tomorrow. 
Thanks for looking in, should be home a bit so I hope to catch up with everyone's stuff soon!
Shane

Plant's looking good.
Can't wait to see what the Birgits does this year.
Hawaii- mountains, ocean, tropical -couldn't get any better. I'm saving it for last ;)

Keep it growin'

Wow Shane excellent updates! Sorry I took so long to get by... Got to keep all the plates spinning right?

Looks like the gopher is under control. That's good, especially given you got your grow down plans moving outside.

Love the Hawaii pics too. Definitely the place to be.

Keep on growin!

Nice pics of your trip. I would love to be forced to go to Hawaii,even for work.

There is still a chance the tovarii will pop. I have read about people having them pop after 500 days! I would suggest laying more seed down though. I have some smaller plants and I can ship one out to you if mama permits it. They are just along for the ride here and probably will get tossed once my main ones are outside.

13728430054_0042c7fc44_o.jpg

Hi Shane,

I discovered your post, I enjoyed reading it !!!

Nice pics of Kaua'i Hawaii !
I like very much your little wild chilli plants ! Wilds peppers are  fascinating !

This year, I have a C. cardenasii trisomic (1 normal cotyledon and on the opposite side, 2 which are welded by the tip). I also have two C. annuum and 1 C. chinense with this kind of malformation.
I do not know what it is due, but it does not affect the growth of plants. It is then quite normal. Plants grow and produce as other.

I sympathize for the problems of wind. Here in Provence, I have also many problems with the strong wind.   Pfffffffff...... I do not count the number of shredded leaves, and beautiful plants reduced to the bare stem in a few hours after the release of the greenhouse  !!
Fortunately, they are able to adapt and then they are more resistant.
I noticed that the most susceptible to wind are the C. chinense & the C. pubescens.
Most resistant are the C. baccatums, despite their large size, their branches are flexible, and they do not break like C. chinense.

I love the bonchis too. 
Two years ago, I  prepared several bonchis, but because of the damn wind, I abandoned, I had to watering them 5 times a day !
This one of my favorite bonchi, the little C. annuum 'Red Missile'  :

For rodent problems, I tried a lot of solutions. Pfffffff..... these filthy beasts, they always come back ! fortunately now I've two cats, formidable hunters, who are my best auxiliary !

I wish you good luck,
look forward to read more !!
Isa

Back