• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248's 2014 small wild grow

Well...after much debate between mama and I, WE (she) have come to the conclusion that I may have grown a few too many plants the past few seasons??? :whistle:  :crazy:

2012 I grew out about 70 plants not including the huge number of ornamental peppers which about doubled that number. I didn't regularly harvest the ornamental plants so I ain't counting those...and in spite of some virus issues I was able to put together an epic season. So epic in fact that I had to purchase a chest freezer to store all the excess pods for future processing. 
gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

Here is one 2012 pull...I had numbers like this EVERY weekend! My season started (too) early and lasted until Christmas that year. I finally finished processing them just before I started pulling pods from my 2013 plants...

2013 was a "smaller" grow and in spite of my best efforts to keep the target of 20 keepers I promised the wife...I still ended up with over 50 plants. The "problem" in 2013 was...I really had no problems. My plants stayed healthy which meant...even more and bigger pulls...
8jOj6q7.jpg

A 2013 pull...

1vMnn2m.jpg

and another...

The hits once again kept on coming. Every weekend...thousands of pods. Which is a great freaking problem to have, but not according to mama. :stop:

So this year is gonna be a real deal small grow. I have talked her into letting me grow out 5 plants all of which are awesome wilds that I am super excited about. All 5 varieties are from John (Pr0digal_son) I have so many cool varieties left in the seed bank, but they'll have to wait until I have more time to dedicate to my garden and family. 

For the past two years I have been a "geobachelor" which is a military term for folks that are stationed away from their families. I am only home on weekends...so dedicating so much of my few days home for the past two years to my grow has really been kinda selfish. 

All that being said, I am still a grow addict...so I have talked her into allowing a few more "must have" varieties. So to my 5 wilds I will be adding a couple staple varieties...oh and wait, I am overwintering 7 plants...well really 11 but 4 are just ornamentals for Bonchi plants. :rofl:

One overwinter is my growdown winner Birgit's Locoto...
Q8uHT1O.jpg

Official measurement for the contest was just over 11' tall. Seeds started on Valentines Day and final measurement on Halloween...fun contest. Haven't seen a growdown posted for this season??? Keep your eyes peeled folks, tons of fun!!!

Here is the list for 2014...
MnXBZ8B.jpg

Well not really a list as much as a photo...started 4 seeds each.

eXv4Twj.jpg

Soaked overnight...

7WH0E4w.jpg

Into peat pellets...

WrS7b9L.jpg

and set in the magic temp zone on the heat mat...

WPdRxsr.jpg

I verify temps using a meat thermometer and will monitor until It stays in the right temp area. 

8TA4kJ7.jpg

Temps slowly climbing for now...and there won't be much to report on for a while. These varieties are notorious for slow germination.

C. Tovarii 0/4
C. Exile Chacoense 0/4
C. Eximium 0/4
C. Galapagoense 0/4
Huge Rocopica 0/4

To those awesome varieties add the overwinters:
Birgits Locoto (3)
Romy Mystery Plant (2)
Pequin (1)
Goat's Weed (1)
Manzano (2) (still alive, but not attempting to overwinter...not gonna kill them on purpose though!!!)

I will also be sarting some Jals (Mucho Nacho) and Numex Big Jim's a bit later.

Here are links to my past two season's glogs...in case you're bored and have about a week to try to get through them both.
2012: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27268-stc3248-just-another-grow-log-holiday-harvest/?hl=%20stc3248%20%202012
2013: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/36599-stc3248-2013-grow-log-seasons-greetings-and-seasons-end/

It for now folks...welcome to 2014!!! I will update when I can and show my growroom and the progress of the rest of the overwinter plants...Thanks for looking in, there are a ton of glogs this year! 

Love the update Shane!

Maybe JJJ is on the right track with the wilds, I dunno, never have grown any yet...

And I have the same attitude as you about putting them outside, I try to start on a weekend or cloudy day. But can't always, they're going to get a bit ugly and knocked a round some, but they shake it off and keep on trucking.

Keep it green!

Hey Super Chief-
Coming to a theater near you : Shane and the Birgit's Stalk... :rofl: :rolleyes:

Ahh , the joy taming the wild ones, ...I do believe the end came for all this past winter.However, the last seeds in the mix(day before yesterday) were my beloved C-Petin -from a wild harvest originally, and only 1 for every 7-8 seeds sprouted when I started this one, well after 2 years, the fallen pods would chia pet occaissionally;meaning  spouts would emerge from damn near every seed.WTF? I pin this on genetic adaptation to its new environment, after a few generations. Just to be sure, I brought about 10 dried pod husks that were still hanging,and a few from the pot as well, soaked 50+ seeds , put em straight into planting mix, and right into the "sauna".So we'll see how that adaptive theory turns out. I definitely believe they can be such buggers to grow because they have dna codes that are very environment/soil/altitude specific.

Can't beat fresh pods at work, though I think you need a super or 2 as disciplinary enabler......hehe. Motours are probably out of style or illegal, now...?
For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, thats 3 hrs of intimate PT with an M-14, BECAUSE YOU WERE GOOD AT BEING BAD :dance: .

Annuums- hey I actually started a few this year, some of Bonnie's Yellows(those seeds were 2 x the size of all the others!), some Purple Jalapeno's, and Romy's Tunisians.Gonna get a few Urfa? Bibers from Ford's Fiery Foods to flash bang the split tail with, a peace offering...of course, the Brazillian Ghosts are gonna be in the same box :shh: .

Next "big event" will be pulling the weed barrier, and my 6 hopeful survivors, adding a yard of 2 yr old sugar cane bagasse, and tilling it in the patch for plant out...well thats the plan, comes with full split tail support ,as long it alleviates the 26 pot syndrome :party:

Congrats on the daughters acceptance, damn but it all happens so quickly doesn't it?
Time to feed ...red meat is screaming my name!
Good luck with the Wild Ones-
DJ

stickman said:
Hi Shane, 
   Maybe you can get an arched doorway made of wicker at Home Depot that you can set up in your backyard for the Birgit to grow on... or you could make one like this from rebar...http://www.familyhandyman.com/garden-structures/build-a-garden-archway/view-all
   You must have a CO who's a decent guy that doesn't sweat the small stuff. Wish I'd had one like that at my last posting instead of the jumped-up martinet we got. Nobody respected him, and his performance reviews were consistently negative, so eventually he left the service, but not before he raised the blood pressure of everybody around him. I'm just glad we never ended up under him in a wartime situation.
   Keep the pics coming brother... we're jonesing for spring here and they make the waiting bearable... cheers!
That's exactly what I was thinking about trying to do...but I was thinking more along the lines of just untying it from its support down to about 7' but keeping it tied in a bundle and bending it over and tying it down another support about that height...hmmm...sure would make picking easier!!! 

My "CO" (actually a civilian Director) is a real piece of work. One of the worst I have ever worked for. Nobody respects him...those that work for him...or even the ones he works for. The Base CO is a great guy though...and the Barracks belong to him. Although I don't work for him directly he selected me as his resident adviser for those living on base. Luckily my boss has no say about what goes on over there. 

JJJessee said:
That Birgits alone will produce bushels of peppers and I'd say a little Bubblegum goes a long way. :)

That's an interesting observation about the soil and the wilds. That gene pool may not be used to  MG  style ferts or at least the volume they are engineered to release for the average plant. A "poorer" soil may suit them better. Just thinkin' out loud.

Everything looks top-notch.

We wanna see a pic of you on top of that ladder picking Birgits wearing a parachute. 
That is a true statement about the Birgits...really does put them out by the thousands. I had the same thought about the wilds not liking the soil...and also thought my light cycle may be a bit too long for them since they all come from regions where light comes in 12 hr doses pretty much year round. They looked none the worse for the wear when I came home yesterday. So I may just harden off a couple of the larger ones and go ahead and get them outside and just leave the little ones in there until they're ready....we shall see. Haha...the parachute may be a bit far fetched...but during one of my measuring attempts last year I almost took the plant out when me, the ladder and the tape measure all came crashing down. I put my safety on the back burner and jumped clear of the plant to avoid damaging it...lol. I cat-landed on my feet but mama sure did get a show...wish the camera had caught that moment!

RocketMan said:
Wow Shane, things are really rolling out west there. Both grows are coming along nicely. It would be pretty cool to see the Supers planted outside the barracks but you might wind up with some drunkin sailors, btw what do you do with one, stopping by for a snack on a dare late at night so make sure you have a wireless cam set up to catch the fun. Oh, and yeah, Rick's right, your CO must be one in a million.

Any word on the next Billet?
Oh...we will end up with some drunken Sailors...for sure. I have a couple supers up there and will be looking for a couple more, but mainly just usable stuff. I plan to also have a tomato and tomatillo plant for up there. No word on the next billet...yet. I have a few more looks.

compmodder26 said:
Grow looks great Shane!  Of course I wouldn't expect anything less from you!
Thanks Brian!

millworkman said:
That makes sense.  For me the Birgits had a perfect straight stem but like you said, small compared to others.  Great shots on those wilds too!
Yeah...same here. Very long straight and slender compared to others. Will try to get a shot of it this weekend.

Devv said:
Love the update Shane!

Maybe JJJ is on the right track with the wilds, I dunno, never have grown any yet...

And I have the same attitude as you about putting them outside, I try to start on a weekend or cloudy day. But can't always, they're going to get a bit ugly and knocked a round some, but they shake it off and keep on trucking.

Keep it green!
Haha...just got back from checking out your grow! They all look very happy in their new homes outside Scott! I am thinking they did fine with a week under the lattice porch because I see no signs of sunburn...yet anyway. They all look very happy and healthy...luckily here at home the plants have a nice wind break with the wooden fence right there. The only problem I look to have is volunteers from mama's perdies I put in the beds last year. Mainly Cosmos and Portulaca...at least they'll be perdy weeds!

gnslngr said:
Hey Super Chief-
Coming to a theater near you : Shane and the Birgit's Stalk... :rofl: :rolleyes:

Ahh , the joy taming the wild ones, ...I do believe the end came for all this past winter.However, the last seeds in the mix(day before yesterday) were my beloved C-Petin -from a wild harvest originally, and only 1 for every 7-8 seeds sprouted when I started this one, well after 2 years, the fallen pods would chia pet occaissionally;meaning  spouts would emerge from damn near every seed.WTF? I pin this on genetic adaptation to its new environment, after a few generations. Just to be sure, I brought about 10 dried pod husks that were still hanging,and a few from the pot as well, soaked 50+ seeds , put em straight into planting mix, and right into the "sauna".So we'll see how that adaptive theory turns out. I definitely believe they can be such buggers to grow because they have dna codes that are very environment/soil/altitude specific.

Can't beat fresh pods at work, though I think you need a super or 2 as disciplinary enabler......hehe. Motours are probably out of style or illegal, now...?
For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, thats 3 hrs of intimate PT with an M-14, BECAUSE YOU WERE GOOD AT BEING BAD :dance: .

Annuums- hey I actually started a few this year, some of Bonnie's Yellows(those seeds were 2 x the size of all the others!), some Purple Jalapeno's, and Romy's Tunisians.Gonna get a few Urfa? Bibers from Ford's Fiery Foods to flash bang the split tail with, a peace offering...of course, the Brazillian Ghosts are gonna be in the same box :shh: .

Next "big event" will be pulling the weed barrier, and my 6 hopeful survivors, adding a yard of 2 yr old sugar cane bagasse, and tilling it in the patch for plant out...well thats the plan, comes with full split tail support ,as long it alleviates the 26 pot syndrome :party:

Congrats on the daughters acceptance, damn but it all happens so quickly doesn't it?
Time to feed ...red meat is screaming my name!
Good luck with the Wild Ones-
DJ
Hey DJ!!! Haha...PT can now be considered hazing depending on the circumstances. I recently did an investigation about that very thing. The general consensus is...if it takes place outside of normal dedicated PT times, you're not in PT gear and its not for all hands...it will be considered hazing. There is also room for interpretation with regards to "excessive" PT. When in a voluntary training environment where you're welcome to quit anytime...the definitions are looser and you can generally beat them as much as you want...You can google some interesting cases in the navy...mostly at recruit training that resulted in disciplinary action.

The wilds are a fun puzzle to crack...but unlike the Rubik's Cube, you can't solve it by taking them apart and putting them back together. So I would put myself at the point where I can solve one side most of the time...working on solving two at once...but it ain't working out so swell. :rofl:

Can't wait to see your progress...you're mobile germination is a motivation for all of us that live on the go brother!!!

So I got the barracks plants outside for good now...in the big mean world. They have no protection from the wind and that is my biggest worry. I did a decent job of hardening them, and we have a marine layer that will help out with that in the mornings...but there will be no hiding from the wind. I will probably have to stake them up next week.
hAMrdFo.jpg

Here is the group shot...

0QNMB90.jpg

McWsE7k.jpg

awsmWgF.jpg

uc5MOge.jpg

bqDgBCC.jpg

tNXKhLi.jpg

This is the pepperproblem plant...I gave it a bigger container and some new soil and it is really starting to green up. I still don't know exactly what it is??? It was labeled M7. All the pods thus far have been tiny but definitely superhot. Could be a cross of some sort, or maybe the pods were small due to the night-time temps. Usually the small winter pods have at least a couple larger ones mixed in...but not this one. All smaller than a fingernail. One thing is certain though...

4q5B6LJ.jpg

We're gonna find out what the next round looks like soon!!!

aBU0m97.jpg

Here we are planting some other stuff on base...gas management equipment for Standard Missiles...that is me on the far side.

CmAqGZr.jpg

Here I am with one of my "Quick Response Teams" we are trained as a fly away team to load ships with ordnance in non-traditional locations in times of need for such things.

10 for now...will take some more later today!!!
Have a great weekend folks!
Shane

Base plants are looking stellar Shane!

Glad they're out sunning themselves. Hmmm I recognize those pots...

Glad 'Yall are constantly training, let's hope that's all it ever turns out to be.

Enjoy the weekend!

sicman said:
everything is lookin good. dig the qrt pic.

a quick laugh for you,http://thehotpepper.com/topic/45950-training-for-a-half-and-eventual-full-marathon/

p.s. be carefull with all that missile stuff
Haha...he'll do fine on that one. We're usually pretty safe when we do the missile and bomb stuff...there was that one time though...
ForkliftFauxPas0502a.jpg

Yup, this happened at a mine shop...and yup, that thing contains 2000 lbs of explosives...

Devv said:
Base plants are looking stellar Shane!

Glad they're out sunning themselves. Hmmm I recognize those pots...

Glad 'Yall are constantly training, let's hope that's all it ever turns out to be.

Enjoy the weekend!
Thanks Scott...more and more making the jump to the big CFL in the sky...and seem unphased by it!!!

So...a couple pics from today...
VB05TZA.jpg

Before...

nH5EWD2.jpg

After...

cZRPL08.jpg

Roots on the Chacoense...

yTln20p.jpg

CGN 19198

ZFV56Ij.jpg

Aji Chuncho CGN 22792

3YDsJFE.jpg

I put three of the growdown plants in the ground...two of them in these gaps in the hedge row. Will be cool if they fill in those voids.

QHMQhSn.jpg

The Jals are unphased by the first week in the sun...

84HT7We.jpg

Hardening was adequate I suppose!!!

kNjsxmb.jpg

Same for the Numex Green Chiles!!! Set to jet now!

Into the ground today were the one 19198, three 22792's, two Chacoense Var Exiles and one Galapagoense...A few more still in the grow room that need a bit more size before making the move.

Woot!

In the dirt we go!

This is the best time of the year, dirt under the fingernails, sore bodies, and in my case mud-sand tracked in the house!

Can't beat it!

Your Growdown plants are looking really good! I hope to give you a run for the $$ this season!

Keep it green my friend!

Interesting pics Shane!

Looks like your hardening process is pretty effective. What exactly do you do? Just key em breath in the shade a couple days?

Keep the updates comin!

Funny Pict! Whoops!

Plants are looking good! And ground happy! I'm jones'in to get my planted.
Read up on the jalafeugos. Like el jefes, but F1 hybrids and more disease resistant. Looks like good one! I had not heard of that one till your glog.

Wow, things are looking great.  Glad to see you still have your purty pots to house those plants in. 
You're putting stuff in the dirt... ugh.  It never got above freezing here today (sad trombone).
Great stuff though!

Plants are looking good Shane.

I see all of your irrigation lines, but I don't see any emitters. Do you just have a small hole in the 1/4" line or am I missing them?

I'm thinking soaker hoses instead of individual irrigation lines this year. I think I have too much in the ground for individual lines.

Devv said:
Woot!

In the dirt we go!

This is the best time of the year, dirt under the fingernails, sore bodies, and in my case mud-sand tracked in the house!

Can't beat it!

Your Growdown plants are looking really good! I hope to give you a run for the $$ this season!

Keep it green my friend!
I am certain I will get more than a run from you and many others. I spent much more time and effort on last year's grow site and letting the plants grow a bit bigger before plant out. I decided to see what they'll do in the same conditions without all the added effort. 

stickman said:
Good thing that mine wasn't fused, eh? Everything is looking great outside Chief!
Haha...yeah. That incident is infamous in the mine warfare world. The mines we deal with here at my shop are all inert, but the missiles are the real deal. Thanks Rick! I am already falling behind on the weeding, but I am doing what I can. Most of the weeds are volunteer flowers or bermuda grass...funny I can't keep them growing when and where I want them too, but plant something else and they want to take over.

maximumcapsicum said:
Interesting pics Shane!

Looks like your hardening process is pretty effective. What exactly do you do? Just key em breath in the shade a couple days?

Keep the updates comin!
My hardening process is simple...I have a table on the back porch which is a southern exposure. It is covered by lattice so as the sun moves over they go from indirect to direct light all day. If I left them out there for two weeks they'd be even better, but looks to have worked just fine.

GA Growhead said:
Funny Pict! Whoops!

Plants are looking good! And ground happy! I'm jones'in to get my planted.
Read up on the jalafeugos. Like el jefes, but F1 hybrids and more disease resistant. Looks like good one! I had not heard of that one till your glog.
Big whoops...

You should be ready for plant out too right??? I'm gonna have to go check in on your glog here in a bit. The Jalafuegos are supposed to be resistant to many bacterial and some viral infections. I will say that they are some of the most vigorous plants I have ever grown. I sure hope they produce like they grow!!! I will keep you posted, I have a few extra seeds if you want to try them out. As fast as they grow you could even direct sow them and still have a good crop. 

Pulpiteer said:
Wow, things are looking great.  Glad to see you still have your purty pots to house those plants in. 
You're putting stuff in the dirt... ugh.  It never got above freezing here today (sad trombone).
Great stuff though!
Thanks Andy! Those pots are a little sun bleached, but the weathered look actually suits them. Very hippster. I have been bummed all winter for you folks out east. It has been a rough one. Spring will get there soon though. 

Jeff H said:
Plants are looking good Shane.

I see all of your irrigation lines, but I don't see any emitters. Do you just have a small hole in the 1/4" line or am I missing them?

I'm thinking soaker hoses instead of individual irrigation lines this year. I think I have too much in the ground for individual lines.
Hey Jeff! The two spots I have the Annuums in had two rows each of Sunflowers last year. Each of those 1/4 inch lines are drip lines. There are pinholes in them and they drip or spray just a bit. I tried them out last year when they were out of 1/4" soaker line and they work ok. I did add a couple more holes around each plant, but was a little overzealous so they send out a jet of water. I think I am going to wrap those spots with a coffee filter and hold it in place with a clothes pin to keep it from blasting the plants and soil so bad. The 1/4" soaker works well for about one season then our hard water clogs them solid. I have some standard 1gph compensating emitters in other spots. I will try to capture it with pics next weekend if I get a chance.

Aight so Mill asked for a pic of the Birgit's trunk...
qfS52TW.jpg

Here it is...not too impressive. Maybe by the end of the season it will be??? That is some 1/4" soaker tube Jeff...

WVikI3G.jpg

The second C. Chacoense is the sole resident in this little garden so far. I debated on it or the Growdown plant to put in the middle of this one...but thought the Chuncho would crowd the rest of the plants out and shade them too much. This little bed will house another 6 to 8 varieties and will be fun to crawl into to attempt to harvest. Hoping it is just a huge mound of crazy wild peppers by late in the season. The soil is very rich and it is also in the spot that produced the monster birgits, so it could be interesting.

q6YEL6e.jpg

The couple Romy Mystery plants that overwintered next to the house are back out in the sun...looking a little beat up but...

Lv1u0sA.jpg

A closer inspection shows the perdy new growth coming in.

4r8nvfL.jpg

Here is a shot from the corner of the pool down to the money corner, and one of the few times you'll see my grass green. I need to tidy up that 1/2" drip line a bit...

7WK36Yf.jpg

The pepperproblem plant is really kicking it into high gear. I had it in a different soil mix with the MG as a base with some added peat and composted manure. It was a soggy mess and a big part of its issues I think. Since repotting in better soil and a larger container it has really responded well. 

GWM3BFV.jpg

And is rewarding me by opening its first flowers of the season.

zOgy2cJ.jpg

Oh...and last but not least a couple new "volunteers"...I found these mysteriously springing up...at the nursery.
CpSFi7P.jpg

Bhut Jolokia and...

5C7qJ2i.jpg

a Fatalii... :dance:

Haha...well the annuums that I potted up here at the barracks are having a rough ride. I need to buy some real stakes for them, I used some old bamboo skewers I had leftover from a BBQ we had up here, but I don't think they're going to be enough. Many tattered or lost leaves and very bent stems. I rotate them daily when I am up here, and hope that they can toughen up soon, but the wind is relentless. Steady at 20 mph  or more sustained coming off the water every afternoon. More pics of the sad ones tomorrow along with a few more from around the house.

Happy growing y'all!
Shane

Awesome stuff Shane. Can't wait to get my little furry Rome cross going. That birgit, if you ever decide you don't want her anymore, would make an awesome bonsai IF you can get some shoots about 8-10 inches off the soil line.

I agree, awesome pics and updates Shane :dance: ....everything looks amazing ;) . Nice to see you too ;) , and Congrats to your daughter on her acceptance to her school of choice. Its so exciting when they get into the school that they want. :dance:

Crazy how those "volunteers" sprung up at the nursery :rofl:

I am amazed at the plants you guys can find at different nurseries.  It's tough to even find a red bhut here, and half of the time I'm not even certain that is what the plant actually is.  And you found a fatalii?  It bet it will even be one of those fancy "right colored, right shaped ones" too, unlike the ones you grew from me last year. 

Finally, it blows my mind that the birgit made it through the winter.  I cannot even fathom such a thing living where I do.  What in the world will it look like at the end of this season?

Back