• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

cooking Steak in the Oven/Stove. Thick Cuts.

Hi guys. Over the last few years Ive been looking at how to cook a tasty steak. This post involves thicker cuts, 1 1/2 - 2in. cuts. The best resource Ive found in amazingribs.com - Better Than Steakhouse Steaks. All things wonderful meats, sides, and sauces. However, I dont have a good grill, much less one that can do 2 zone cooking. So I adapted the cooking so you can use your oven, then a grill, broiler or cast iron pan. For best and safe results, you will need a thermometer. This recipe is for medium rare steaks. Done temp. is 135deg. You can look up your desired doneness and adjust. Doing this on a grill, you will need to set up 2 zone heat. I cant do that. But I can use the grill to finish off with the sear. But Ive used cast iron pans and the broiler with equal success.

First off, this wont work for cuts smaller than 1 1/2inch. It probably wont work for cuts over 3inches either. We are going to use reverse sear method, going low and slow then high heat. Also, this is similar to making a roast than just grilling a thin steak, but with a steak texture..

1. Take your thawed steak and sea salt it evenly (1tbl per side) both sides and cover. Let it sit in the fridge for 3hrs. This is called dry brine. Over the course of 3hrs, the salt will draw moister from the steaks and then absorb it back, tenderizing the meat. *Low sodium diet skip this and go straight to oven.

2. 15min before your brine is done, turn your oven on to 225deg. While its warming up, line a baking pan with foil for easy clean up. If you have a cooling rack, you can put it on top to raise the steaks creating a under flow or air. If not, dont worry about it.

3. After the 3hrs brine is done, put steaks on baking pan and put in the oven for 30min.

4. After 30min. Start checking the thickest part of the steak for a temp. of 115. This can take a while 1.5hrs maybe.

5. Once it reaches 115, flip and return to the oven. Check every 15min until temp reaches 125deg. . At this point, the fat should look opaque, and the steak should be sweating a bit.

6. This is where you transfer to grill, stove top pan, or broiler to sear. Using a paper towel, dab all the moister you can from the steaks. You can lite coat with olive oil or butter to help with the crust, but you dont have to. You can also set the steaks aside and finish your sides, such as baking french fries, or heating buns. Your steak is basically cooked/not raw anymore. Then go to 7.

7. For grill or stove top pan, Get as hot as you can and add the steak. Flip it every minute or so until it reaches 135deg. and the outside has an even crust. For broiler, set rack to second from the top shelf, set broiler to high. Eyeball it for a crust you like. Maybe 1min per side.

Pull them and serve right away!

What this recipe is supposed to do is cook the steak evenly throughout and give you a nice crust all over (as opposed to grill marks). It breaks down the fatty tissue to make it soft and give it a nice buttery pop when you bite into it. Using the thermometer allows you to cook it to the perfect temperature for your preferred texture, then add the crust with the sear. The bonus is that you dont need a grill, you can do it in your oven or stove top pan. The down side is that it can take a long time. Maybe up to two hrs.

Another tip is that once you get your steak to 125deg, you can pull it out and make/finish off your sides, then sear it and serve everything together. Your steak will cook another 5min. sitting there . I throw mine in the microwave to keep it warm, but you can tent it or cover on the counter. Once everything else is ready, the sear time is around 5min. to take it to 135deg. When I say dont worry about it above in reference to salt, racks and oil, it will make a difference, but the end result will still be worth it. You can only do what you can do..

Best thing about this method is that you can use reverse sear with all meats. Ive done beef, buffalo, elk, chicken, pork, fish. Ive also used this method for thinner cuts. You just need to keep a closer eye on them. You can try this with oven burgers, just change the internal temp. to 155deg. and hit the sear. Juicy! Serve in a bowl!

Anyway, give it a go!

Last edited:
Welcome to THP from the dry side of Washington.

Thanks for the instructions. Pics would be great if you can post some. We luv pics...

can you clarify or edit your OP in #2 and #3.
#2 says turn on oven, #3 says after 3 hours, put the steak in for 30 minutes?

Me, being the ditzy blond i am, i would leave the oven preheating for 3 hours, then put the steak in for 30 minutes. Correct?
Salsalady

Sorry guys. Have edited the recipe to make more sense. Next time I make them Ill add pics. Ive also added the link to the the Amazing Ribs site. It has all the info explained to almost painful detail. This just a conversion to making it in the oven. Just wanted to share the benefits of reverse sear, and you can do it without a grill. Also, its a damn tasty steak!

Last edited:
AH! That makes sense.. thanks for sharing.
SL

We don't usually do steaks that thick (too big of a serving anymore) but I recently did a roast beef with a reverse sear. Cooked at like 250 until it was about 125 inside, then seared on a hot cast iron skillet. It was perfectly done inside with just a small shell of the seared meat.

We don't usually do steaks that thick (too big of a serving anymore) but I recently did a roast beef with a reverse sear. Cooked at like 250 until it was about 125 inside, then seared on a hot cast iron skillet. It was perfectly done inside with just a small shell of the seared meat.
I usually get a couple of steaks that size and the three of us split them for the night. We end up with left overs for fajitas or steak sandwiches...

We have a great local butcher shop that opened about a year ago. They use locally sourced beef, do game processing, bring in seafood as is in season....
One refer meat case about 8' long. Housemade brats, pork cuts, chicken cuts, beef cuts...

They typically sell ribeye's for $20#, sometimes I see 'prime' at $25/#. yes, that is a LOT for around here. Salsakid says that regular sirloin steaks in the big Schitty are around $15/#.

The steaks we have gotten have been of high quality and very flavorful. After the first couple times of getting 2 nice sized 1 1/2" thick steaks, we now purchase one good marbled, thick steak maybe once every 4-6 weeks. It is definitely not a frequent item, but one of those indulgence items for us. Kind of like take-a-way or delivery pizza. Neither of which is available where we live.

We have been cooking the steaks on a plancha with butter, thyme, salt and garlic, like a lot of recent vids show as steakhouse cooking. So we are interested in the dry brine process. could work well with the plancha cooking.

SL

Oh you can do both dry and wet brine with various different seasonings.
With the dry brine, there are some recipes that call for salt and pepper on steak. You could use an assortment of other spices. However, the reason you dont with this in this recipe is because the change of flavor of the seasonings when applied to high heat. You need to keep that in mind using other spices as well.

Being said, you can use a dry brine on many different recipes that cook at lower temp, or go for it! You might like what high heat does to pepper.

Last edited:
We met a farmer at the market when we started going who does beef, pork, and chicken. They're now our primary source for meat. For beef, we've taken to just getting it by the half-cow (or whole, depending on cow size).

They don't do ribeyes or t-bones that thick, but the cuts we get from them are the perfect size for our typical meals.

Everyone should have a favorite butcher!
The meat is usually cheaper in price and better in quality, and offer more choices in types! Plus ground beef is from your known source.

Just to throw it out there, do you know T Bones are two different cuts of meat? Strip (New York) and tenderloin. Your average T Bone usually has a large portion (S)and small portion(T) on either side of the bone. If you just throw it on the grill, chances are you will way over cook the smaller portion, which is the better cut of meat! Same with the Porterhouse, which is more expensive and has a larger, more even sized cut of Tenderloin.

You can use the reverse sear method by just cooking the tenderloin portion further away from the heat!

To make it even more confusing, a ribeye steak has three different cuts of meat. The eye cutlet, the "cap" and parts above the short plate. If you cook your eye, the cap and plate will be over cooked.. Fun stuff for cooking!

A few years ago, I bought a 5lb prime rib roast from a butcher. I told them to just cut it to a roast and dont do anything else. I ended up with a uncut 5lb side of beef. I cut off the cap and the short plate and ended up with 3lbs of ribeye cutlet for $135, and 2lbs of fat. That butcher has its good points, but Ill never go back to them for another roast.

Last edited:
ages ago (circa 2004) we had all the inlaws and outlaws for christmas at our house. I asked for the largest prime rib roast i could get. It was $107 back in 2004-ish. :eek: i didnt confess that expenditure to hubby for several years....

It was 7 bones, if i recall....i think it was $5 or $6 per pound, would of been about 18#.

Back