• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stefan_W's Great Big Beefy Pepper Adventure: Grow List

I just had to look and now I'm hungry for wings ... great looking low less fat ;)

Thank you very much! I laughed when I found YouTube videos of people making chicken wings in their Actifry and calling them "healthy wings." I appreciate making chicken fat less bad, but healthy is a stretch.

Looks like Christmas came a bit early this year. I just checked the mail, and in there were some seeds that Denniz sent over. I had complained a while back about how biker billys were not available in Canada, and he stepped up to the plate :dance:

I intentionally put the plastics upside down so you can see the seeds rather than the logo of the plastic bag manufacturer. He also tossed in some true scotch bonnets, which is a great treat. In fact, I am liking these seeds so much I may just plant half of them right after Christmas so I can enjoy a few pods in the spring as I am putting the peppers out.

Have a great Christmas!

IMG_0799.JPG

Glad to see the finally made it. Sorry for lagging. I'll be sowing mine in January. Happy growing and good luck with them

Just FYI. BB are from ajijoes sale. And the SB are from pods sent by Gary aka windchicken

Ok, here is my latest stab at a grow list for next year. At this point I am only tweaking two or three places, so it is definitely close to being complete. If anyone has a suggestion for a pepper with great flavour I am all ears, because that is what it is all about.

2nd year Ghost
7 Pod Yellow Gigantic
HP22B
2nd year Tabasco
Giant Mexican Rocoto
Red Rocoto
Firecracker Chili (X3)
Cayenne (X4)
Tabasco (X4)
Tobago Treasure (X3)
Leutschauer Paprika (X4)
Pêssego Brasileiro (X4)
Sofia Sweet (X3)
Lipstick (X3)
California Wonder (X3)
Giant Jalapeno
7 Pod Jonah
Trinidad 7 Pod Primo
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow
Madame Jeanette
Aji Lemon Drop (X2)
White Habernero
Big Sun Habernero
Peach Habernero
Red Habernero
Scotch Bonnet Peach Long
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Mako Akokasrade
Biker Billy Jalapeno

thats a heck of a list

Thank you very much! I am a bit worried that it still leans too heavily toward superhots, which are nice but I don't need tons of them. But in the end I have extra space this year and I want to try a lot of different varieties out.

When you say second year is it an over-wintered plant? or seeds from the previous plant? Nice list!

Thanks for stopping in! Yes, I have an overwintered bhut and an overwintered tabasco. My plan for next year is to overwinter the rocotos as well, because apparently they never do all that great in their first year. Of course plans change depending on germination, so all this is up in the air.

+1... definitely nice list. Not much longer now... I'm at G-day minus 14 ...

We are getting a massive dump of snow right now, and my usual start time for seeds is still months away. I am thinking of planting one or two early jalapenos just so my daughter can watch them grow inside, and because they'll produce a few small pods before the other plants even get out into the garden.

I don't start everything early, just the long-season plants... the Chinense, Pubiscens, Baccatums and a few Annuums that need more than 90 days to mature. The rest I'll start the end of February, and plant outside under a hoophouse around the middle of April as the weather permits. :dance:

In my climate I'm looking at a production shutdown for most of January if it gets really hot but then it will keep on into May. Don't get snow. We might get a few frosts but that's it. Last season I had plants out in the open unattended that overwintered themselves. You guys really have to earn your season!

Being in Canada, I am not able to put anything outside in the garden until early to mid May. I start the superhots in late Feb or early March, and the tomatos and sweet peppers are started at the end of March.

We have had well over a foot of snow in the past two days, and it is still falling.

That is a great list which red rocoto are your growing. I grew them this year and were a great addition I only got about 40 pods, but okay for a late start in April or May from seed it will be going into a second year with me. You can never have enough superhots lol, but you have a nice combination especially with the superhots you decided to add. Start Feb and March and put out May I don't know if I would be able to handle the wait. Good luck to your new season
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

That is a great list which red rocoto are your growing. I grew them this year and were a great addition I only got about 40 pods, but okay for a late start in April or May from seed it will be going into a second year with me. You can never have enough superhots lol, but you have a nice combination especially with the superhots you decided to add. Start Feb and March and put out May I don't know if I would be able to handle the wait. Good luck to your new season
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

I'm growing the red rocoto from Judy's collection: http://pepperlover.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=176&category_id=23&keyword=rocoto&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Yeah, everything I have read about rocotos says that you pretty much need to wait until year 2 for it to start to really produce. I'm cool with that because the flavour is amazing, and sometimes you just gotta wait for stuff. But yeah, I definitely want to get going and all this waiting sucks!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

I'm growing the red rocoto from Judy's collection: http://pepperlover.c...uemart&Itemid=1

Yeah, everything I have read about rocotos says that you pretty much need to wait until year 2 for it to start to really produce. I'm cool with that because the flavour is amazing, and sometimes you just gotta wait for stuff. But yeah, I definitely want to get going and all this waiting sucks!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Haven't grown pubescens but I have heard a lot of comments that sometimes they will produce in their first year? I'm hoping to grow some next season and a one season turn around would be great!

Haven't grown pubescens but I have heard a lot of comments that sometimes they will produce in their first year? I'm hoping to grow some next season and a one season turn around would be great!

My understanding is that they will produce a small amount first year, but they really need the second year to kick start into great production. I am not speaking first hand though because I haven't grown them either.

Back