• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Stem problem

Hi everyone.  I'm having some trouble with one of my plants where its stem is thin on the bottom but is normal further up.  This is a problem because the stem on the bottom isn't strong enough to support the plant.  I currently have it held up by a pencil, and was wondering what I should do.  There isn't room in the cup it's in now to replant it lower, but I figured when I move to 5 gallon bags I can always cover it up to where the stem is thicker.  If there's anything else I could do I could use some suggestions.  Below I a picture I took a few minutes ago.

Cx88FUH.jpg

repot  it up to the green .   :onfire:   
Suezotiger said:
Hi everyone.  I'm having some trouble with one of my plants where its stem is thin on the bottom but is normal further up.  This is a problem because the stem on the bottom isn't strong enough to support the plant.  I currently have it held up by a pencil, and was wondering what I should do.  There isn't room in the cup it's in now to replant it lower, but I figured when I move to 5 gallon bags I can always cover it up to where the stem is thicker.  If there's anything else I could do I could use some suggestions.  Below I a picture I took a few minutes ago.

Cx88FUH.jpg
love the pencil idea !   :onfire:

stoney's_ghost said:
That is strange. Never seen that before. Hmm.

Me neither...haven't seen anyone here with the same problem

moruga welder said:
repot  it up to the green .    :onfire:   

love the pencil idea !    :onfire:

Thanks :P I just hope it doesn't rot.  A pen might have been better now that I think of it...

Suezotiger said:

Me neither...haven't seen anyone here with the same problem

Thanks :P I just hope it doesn't rot.  A pen might have been better now that I think of it...

won't rot , it will grow new roots ,  do you run a fan on your plants ?  this will help roots get more vigorous and strengthening up the plant for the real winds .   :onfire:

moruga welder said:
won't rot , it will grow new roots ,  do you run a fan on your plants ?  this will help roots get more vigorous and strengthening up the plant for the real winds .   :onfire:

Sorry I meant the pencil might rot :P  And yes I had a fan on them when they were younger to fight fungus and recently put it back on when I noticed this problem.  Thanks for the help  :dance:

n.p. ! yea i have a 20" oscilating fan on them now for 15 minutes a clip on med . will bump thigh soon . they'll be ready for the real winds . but will still cage and tie up 

I've seen something similar with pubes but not that extreme. What is it? The stems look a little fuzzy? but the leaves dont. It looks kinda baccatumish?

hogleg said:
I've seen something similar with pubes but not that extreme. What is it? The stems look a little fuzzy? but the leaves dont. It looks kinda baccatumish?

It's an Aji Habanero so you're right about it being a baccatum.

My purple jalapenos always do that! The base is purple/dark and has little white knobs on it. They grow up just fine, though.

Back