• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro 4: Spredner Tin 2020

Welcome to another chapter in the great series of the Stettomans comedic gardening adventures! Come along, follow the antics of a guy makin' it up as he goes, having some luck, some not-so-much, and more than his share of whining about a fleepin' 3 month growing season! No telling what we'll see, Stetto's grows is always full of surprises and absurdities....

I almost named the thread the He should Know Better Grow, but I do and I'm going to go through with it anyway....

No list yet, but I put these Rocoto Amarillo to plug today to get a head start--I've decided to give them a full row in the half of an 8th acre, which I didn't plant at all last season. It was that bad up here...No corn, no beans, no lettuce, NO TUBERS, fercryinoutloud! All my peppers & tomatoes were container grown...

Trying a different route for germinating, at least for the firsters. I'll likely go back to trays with the Anuums and such...

20200227_100047.jpg

By the time I got the cuplettes ready I found I needed to add three more. Dunno if this was a good idear, but I used a pinch of water soluble Mykos to soak the plugs...

20200227_101022.jpg

That's all I got for todays episode, besides the Growdown Fatalii, which is doing quite well and the mystery XL Brown, which is purple and likely akin to PaulG's neat little PdN cross...

If I don't post a grow list of some kind by the end of the weekend, send someone to check on me, yeh?

I appreciate y'alls interest, don't make me regret it....

Aji Oro update:

As sickly as this plant looked all season long, it still produced 14 decent pods that I can make a small batch of the chokecherry jelly with.
11/06
Aji Oro Potted.jpg

Over the last ten days, I assume from shock, most of the small, curled up leaves yellowed and fell, but I think the shock phase is past.
11/16
Aji Oro 11-16-20.jpg

The XL Brown and Aji Limarillo continue to progress, but there have been aphids, perhaps a dozen almost microscopic bastiges, 
on the XLB. I expected them to start on the Chinense, as in my experience they seem to like those best and first.

Not to the point of spraying yet, but I look in on them twice a day, checking closely each time. There are only three, making it much easier
to inspect. I intend to also keep them trimmed to under 12" until March 1, when they'll go back into a south facing window sill to reacquaint
them to true sunshine before replant. That will coincide with 2021 plant starts.

It works amazingly well on paper. I guess we know what that means...
:scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:   

Now it's time to panic. I wanted to do a viability test on the Aji Oro seed I harvested from that sickly plant pictured previously.

So I planted one, just for grins, on 11-8. The XLB seed I placed in perlite on 10-30 has yet to perform...

It never dawned on me the consequence of success--
10dayhook aji oro 11-18-20.jpg

A dilemma, I'm self relegated to no more than three overwinters.

I'm not a "culler". I also want to see if the progeny are going to show the same feeble characteristics as the parent, though the new 
growth on the parent plant may well be healthier, considering having been transplanted into new medium after a thorough root rinse & trim.
That unhealthy condition could have been solely environmental, yes?

...but I told Her....3 plants, 3 plants only...and She said "better be"...She lost some houseplants to the aphid holocaust last winter too....

I'm going to keep it, try to make sure the little bugger doesn't go public, but I need your help:

Don't you guys say a WORD to Her about this, ye?

Uh oh...

This started a while ago, but hardly noticeable. Now it's becoming noticeable. 

BLS?

Flash
Aji Limo Bls2 11-20-20.jpg

No flash
Aji Limo Bls1 11-20-20.jpg

And it's slowly spreading
Aji Limo Bls3 11-20-20.jpg

I have a fungicide (Serenade Garden), but BLS is not fungal, is it...

I don't want to trash the plant, it was doing so well....But there are others to consider.

:tear:  :tear:  :tear: Come on guys, pull me up!!  :tear:  :tear:  :tear:  
                                 :mope:

Hey Stetto.  I can't say for 100% certain, but I really don't think that's leaf spot, either fungal or bacterial.  I suspect it might be temporary deficiency or leaf abandonment as the plant recovers from the rude treatment you gave it with the root bath ;) or from transition inside to a different environment.

Even if it were LS, absent aphids/bugs to transmit it and subject to the usual caveats - not sharing pruning tools or a container for bottom watering, etc. - it shouldn't transfer in containers inside.

C'mon man, successful OW this time!

stettoman said:
Uh oh...

This started a while ago, but hardly noticeable. Now it's becoming noticeable. 

BLS?

Flash
attachicon.gif
Aji Limo Bls2 11-20-20.jpg

No flash
attachicon.gif
Aji Limo Bls1 11-20-20.jpg

And it's slowly spreading
attachicon.gif
Aji Limo Bls3 11-20-20.jpg

I have a fungicide (Serenade Garden), but BLS is not fungal, is it...

I don't want to trash the plant, it was doing so well....But there are others to consider.

:tear:  :tear:  :tear: Come on guys, pull me up!!  :tear:  :tear:  :tear:  
                                 :mope:
Depending on what you want to spend to fix a localized problem I run Zerotol or Sporequell. Both are a Hydrogen Peroxide and PA Acid blend that act as a great disinfectant. They kill everything, fungus and bacteria, on the plant right there but have no residual so you have to spray multiple days for an infection. Either way might be worth a look, I run both in the greenhouses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peppergator said:
Depending on what you want to spend to fix a localized problem I run Zerotol or Sporequell. Both are a Hydrogen Peroxide and PA Acid blend that act as a great disinfectant. They kill everything, fungus and bacteria, on the plant right there but have no residual so you have to spray multiple days for an infection. Either way might be worth a look, I run both in the greenhouses.

That sounds like work for a plant I can ultimately simply reseed, but I do appreciate it and will note the info for future reference. Thanks! 

CaneDog said:
Hey Stetto.  I can't say for 100% certain, but I really don't think that's leaf spot, either fungal or bacterial.  I suspect it might be temporary deficiency or leaf abandonment as the plant recovers from the rude treatment you gave it with the root bath ;) or from transition inside to a different environment.

Even if it were LS, absent aphids/bugs to transmit it and subject to the usual caveats - not sharing pruning tools or a container for bottom watering, etc. - it shouldn't transfer in containers inside.

C'mon man, successful OW this time!

A little more symptom info: The affected leaves, including new growth, drop off the plant with the slightest touch. Though aphid activity is extremely low (I now find perhaps one very small critter every other day or so on the XLB), they are still there in some small, currently insignificant capacity.

So far both Rocotos are completely clear of spotting or leaf drop, and I have a cockamamie theory: The Aji Limarillo, though planted in new medium, was not root rinsed as thoroughly as the others AND was transplanted to a 1 gallon pot that I neglected to clean out or sanitize before use. It had the remnants of the soil the previous occupant had resided in. The Rocotos were very thoroughly rinsed and put in unused gallon pots that I had sanitized with an oxygenated sanitizer I use for wine carboys...almost a surgically sterilized environment.

I'd bring the sickly plant up to a south facing window until this either passes or the plant does, but SWMBO will not have it in her realm.

So the Aji Limarillo knows it's sick, hence the leaf drop, but with BLS I seem to remember the leaves turning far more yellow and dead before falling....

Maybe a minute in the microwave?.... :shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked:

Yeah, BLS can be a tough call one way or the other sometimes - and other times there's no doubt.  No fun having to deal with contaminated soil and containers when it is.  Interesting idea on the container sanitizer.   I've considered using Star San on pots because I hate using bleach.  Maybe I'll give it a try.

And hey, anything that goes in the microwave should have aphids on it, because APHIDS!!   :flamethrower:

CaneDog said:
Yeah, BLS can be a tough call one way or the other sometimes - and other times there's no doubt.  No fun having to deal with contaminated soil and containers when it is.  Interesting idea on the container sanitizer.   I've considered using Star San on pots because I hate using bleach.  Maybe I'll give it a try.

And hey, anything that goes in the microwave should have aphids on it, because APHIDS!!   :flamethrower:

The blight actually looks like it might be stalling, or at least slowing. Leaf drop has all but quit, even the yellow mottled leaves require plucked instead of picked up...It does look like the XLB might have a mild case though, and I'm finding a bug per day now. Neither the Aji Oro nor the Aji Limarillo have had any bugs yet, so I must be on top of it for now...

I'm keeping an ice cream pail of Star San next to the grow table, EVERYTHING that touches other plants gets a wipe-down in between. An 8 ounce mister full of Castille soap also stands by.

stettoman said:

The blight actually looks like it might be stalling, or at least slowing.

I guess I spoke too soon. A look this morning has me on the edge of a euthanasia decision. I have no place to isolate this plant, and I WILL NOT jeopardize the Rocotos.

I have hundreds of seeds, a good number from isolated blossoms. I'm not worried about having to start again, but it has me disappointed in myself. I have learned a very valuable lesson.

Though the XLB has a few leaves with sparse brown spotting, it'll stay until it proves unworthy, and I don't really expect that. Besides, I have a lot of XLB seed as well.

The Aji Oro is vibrant, lush and robust, and most importantly, healthy. It's "accidental" progeny is doing quite well, looks to becoming the "third" overwinter...

Sad days, but ultimately I don't want to risk the healthy plants...

This makes puttin' 'er down more difficult
aji limarillo 11-30-20.jpg

There are buds all over this little unit. Didn't notice the full blossoms till just now...

But the XLB
XLB 11-30-20.jpg

Aji Oro
aji oro 11-30-20.jpg

The "other" Aji Oro
what aji oro 11-30-20.jpg

And even the perlite XLB experiment, which seems to be seeking the way out
XLB perlite 11-30-20.jpg

...most probably likely could might can be in trouble if it stays...

I guess if I'm dumb enough to keep it a few days longer fruit will set and then I'll NEVER convince myself to do what should oughta indubitably and most imperatively must be done...

I'd rather have the bugs....

BTW, funny what those little LEDs do to a camera lens, eh?

A break today to get some Aji Amarillo paste into vac bags and put up...

Aji Amarillo Paste.jpg

I chose not to flavor or salt it in any way, makes it more versatile.
Used two cubes and a chub of cream cheese, some minced garlic & onion and a dash of celery salt for a chip dip the other day.
My lips are still buzzing...

stettoman said:

No Paul, two trays, 32 cubes. The compartmentalizing process of the vac bags entailed a little outhouse engineering, but worked out great.

And the danged plant still has over a dozen pods on it trying to get ripe!!
Ain't nuttin' like an Aji Amarillo!

The dip sounds delicious!

Back