• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro 4: Spredner Tin 2020

Welcome to another chapter in the great series of the Stettomans comedic gardening adventures! Come along, follow the antics of a guy makin' it up as he goes, having some luck, some not-so-much, and more than his share of whining about a fleepin' 3 month growing season! No telling what we'll see, Stetto's grows is always full of surprises and absurdities....

I almost named the thread the He should Know Better Grow, but I do and I'm going to go through with it anyway....

No list yet, but I put these Rocoto Amarillo to plug today to get a head start--I've decided to give them a full row in the half of an 8th acre, which I didn't plant at all last season. It was that bad up here...No corn, no beans, no lettuce, NO TUBERS, fercryinoutloud! All my peppers & tomatoes were container grown...

Trying a different route for germinating, at least for the firsters. I'll likely go back to trays with the Anuums and such...

20200227_100047.jpg

By the time I got the cuplettes ready I found I needed to add three more. Dunno if this was a good idear, but I used a pinch of water soluble Mykos to soak the plugs...

20200227_101022.jpg

That's all I got for todays episode, besides the Growdown Fatalii, which is doing quite well and the mystery XL Brown, which is purple and likely akin to PaulG's neat little PdN cross...

If I don't post a grow list of some kind by the end of the weekend, send someone to check on me, yeh?

I appreciate y'alls interest, don't make me regret it....

Sorry to see your season come to an end, Eric.

On the other hand, a little break isn’t always
a bad thing. Been fun following your grow
this season, buddy!

Have fun getting your jam on!
E418A515-7689-4FEF-9DBB-E6A69CC3A55B.jpeg

So the season may be done, but the OW is about to begin...I know, I know, I said no more, but The Aji Limarillo (Limo) was fun and is still vibrant, so I decided that one will reside in the cellar, under lights. I may keep the Aji Oro and the XL Brown after they give up the last of their fruit, but at least it won't be the 20+ plants I infested the livingroom with last winter...Should they survive the usual threats I plan on putting them in 20 gallon bags next year....

I probably overpayed, but whaddoIknow? I've heard so much over these last 4 years I thought I'd give some FoxFarm potting soil a try. I ordered the Ocean Forest, didn't really do a lot of research but I remember some of you guys using the stuff, so...

Anyway, it should be good for overwintering in 1 gallon pots, yeah?

Mr.joe said:
I hope the ow goes smooth for you and the plants love the ocean forest. If you ordered fox farm online to be delivered then you probably did overpay.

Yeh, online. Results speak more to whether I overpayed, but at least it will be delivered.

Just a little more on the weather............................and stuff.

I am fairly sure this problem will not happen down in my area.............................

It could be a real problem up there........................

95D3D5CB-D069-4201-9CAF-9B03A452C67D.jpeg

That's it for now.  

Tybo said:
 I put the dehydrator in the basement and let me tell you it was rough down there the first 24hours.  The vapor's from those superhots were STRONG.  Seems like after about 24 hours things settle down.  (or maybe I get used to it)
I have the same experience, Ty. As the moisture
starts to leave the pods, the odor is very pungent,
then the next day, not so bad!

stettoman said:
 I ordered the Ocean Forest, didn't really do a lot of research but I remember some of you guys using the stuff, so...

Anyway, it should be good for overwintering in 1 gallon pots, yeah?
I use Fox Farms every year, Eric. I usually mix a bag
of Happy Frog and a bag of Ocean Forest. I use it for
the early transplants, but I am sure your OW plant will
love it.

Enjoy the break, my friend!

Mr.joe said:
It's great soil I've used it, but I can buy locally for $10 a bag
I called only dealer of FoxFarm within 50 miles, their Ocean Forest 1.5 cu is 29.79 plus the goose stepper's tax. Online I paid $10 more, all told. Maybe you ship me soil from now on, eh?

stettoman said:
I called only dealer of FoxFarm within 50 miles, their Ocean Forest 1.5 cu is 29.79 plus the goose stepper's tax. Online I paid $10 more, all told. Maybe you ship me soil from now on, eh?
I'm not against the idea, but since I get no shipping discounts at all I'm afraid I may not be able to save you anything.

While I wait for Aji Amarillos to ripen, I got my OWs settled in.

I'm going with three, TOTAL (promise!): The Aji Limo (Limarillo), the XL Brown Rocoto, and a very sickly Aji Oro Rocoto that I hope will perk up after transferred to a new home...

I did this with all three, but only took pics of the Aji Oro. All three spent the season in 5 gallon fab-bags, I'll be putting them in 20 gallon bags next year, should they survive....

They were cut VERY close with a garden trowel after being trimmed to no more than a few inches.
20201106_115504.jpg

Then after an inch of perlite (I found a standard coffee filter is perfect as a liner for a 1 gallon pot), I added a couple inches of soil, in this case FoxFarm Ocean Forest, set the heavily rinsed and trimmed root ball in and added soil.
20201106_115438.jpg

And then I bottom-water, mist the top, and pray a little.
20201106_115320.jpg

I have hope for the Aji Oro, but if she don't make it, so be it. I did get a good number of seeds.

The XL Brown showed little if any reaction to being yanked from it's happy home, roots chopped up, branches snipped and plunged into an alien (and 80% smaller) environment. It started new growth within 48 hours.
20201106_115417.jpg

And the Aji Limarillo seems to defy all the laws. One. Happy. Pepper. Plant!
20201106_115351.jpg

Ladies & gentlemen (and of course, all reasonable facsimiles), please allow me to introduce the OverWinter Class of 2020/21!
20201106_111625.jpg

Now a side: our bear was back last night and I got a GOOD look at him. I believe him to be a 350-400 lb boar, too fat to climb a tree in the back yard when our 12 year old damn fool rez dog went after him. I judge him over 6 feet standing, and not all that aggressive. He looked like an oldster to me, not interested in taking on a small mouthy mutt. I got the dog in and the bear wandered away, but he was back an hour later, scrounging apples under the honeycrisp tree. I ran him off with the ought-6, but if he comes back again I hate what I may have to do...

I got no freezer space...

That is a very pristine grow space, Stett, and the
plants look great. I think you are getting it down   :clap: 
Here's to only good things   :cheers:  in the OW season!

Thanks guys. 'Dog, there have been a few aphids sighted, but only one at a time and I dispatch them as I find them. I have a spray bottle of Castile Soap standing by for any more intense eventualities, but this is very different from last year's nightmare. I failed to trim most of those plants back, and none of them were pulled, rinsed and transplanted. I intend to not allow either the aphids nor the new plant growth to get out of hand. My main concern is the Aji Limarillo, as it's growth proliferation will easily get out of hand, if current trends continue.

They are also isolated in a sealed studio, though I know that's no guarantee. It's also my music, wine making and all around hobby room, so there is a nominal amount of traffic in and out. But compared to last year they're practically hermetically sealed!! :cheers:

No, the Aji Amarillo is not wintering in the bunker. Once she gives up her fruit she will be put down humanely. I don't have the room and I made a promise to SWMBO...

The bear hasn't been seen in a couple days, and I know nothing of hibernating habits because we've never had a bear. It is deer hunting season (yes, and bear too), so the animal's best bet is to head for the refuge 12 miles east of us....

Back