• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro 4: Spredner Tin 2020

Welcome to another chapter in the great series of the Stettomans comedic gardening adventures! Come along, follow the antics of a guy makin' it up as he goes, having some luck, some not-so-much, and more than his share of whining about a fleepin' 3 month growing season! No telling what we'll see, Stetto's grows is always full of surprises and absurdities....

I almost named the thread the He should Know Better Grow, but I do and I'm going to go through with it anyway....

No list yet, but I put these Rocoto Amarillo to plug today to get a head start--I've decided to give them a full row in the half of an 8th acre, which I didn't plant at all last season. It was that bad up here...No corn, no beans, no lettuce, NO TUBERS, fercryinoutloud! All my peppers & tomatoes were container grown...

Trying a different route for germinating, at least for the firsters. I'll likely go back to trays with the Anuums and such...

20200227_100047.jpg

By the time I got the cuplettes ready I found I needed to add three more. Dunno if this was a good idear, but I used a pinch of water soluble Mykos to soak the plugs...

20200227_101022.jpg

That's all I got for todays episode, besides the Growdown Fatalii, which is doing quite well and the mystery XL Brown, which is purple and likely akin to PaulG's neat little PdN cross...

If I don't post a grow list of some kind by the end of the weekend, send someone to check on me, yeh?

I appreciate y'alls interest, don't make me regret it....

Hey, Eric, good to see you getting serious
about the 2020 season!  Good luck getting
that row of Rocoto Amarillo up and running.
Jungle 4.0, here we come!

PaulG said:
Hey, Eric, good to see you getting serious
about the 2020 season!  Good luck getting
that row of Rocoto Amarillo up and running.
Jungle 4.0, here we come!

Ain't it funny how a guy tells himself that he has no room for all you want to grow, some sacrifices have to be made, and you plant everything you wanted in the first place? I'm at that telling myself stage....The Rocoto Amarillos is important because they and the Aji Oros made the best jellies, with or without the chokecherry component...And I'm getting a lot of requests this year. So my "plan" is to get the half-of-an-8th-acre (yep, cutting 'er in half this year) up and running again and put those two varieties to work...Although I am without Aji Oro seed...yet. Thanks for the wishes, Paul!

CaneDog said:
Way to get on the board for 2020 stretto. Interesting idea with the Myko soak. I had some activity in my cubes accidentally, so I'm thinking your chances are good. Still curious to see how your XL Purple comes out.

Thanks CD, I literally used a pinch of the stuff in a pint of rainwater saved from last year...Really trying to not overdo the supplements, ya know? I have no clue re: XL Purple. It was a fresh plug and I SWEAR I put a black seed and ONLY a black seed in the hole...

DownRiver said:
Haha, your grow list looks like mine Eric. I think I'm gonna wait until March....no, wait... :shocked:

March is Sunday. Space becomes problematic when I start so early (especially with the fookin' bugs in my OWs), all the new guys will have to reside in the grow room. I assure you, DR, my list will "grow"... ;)

stettoman said:
So my "plan" is to get the half-of-an-8th-acre (yep, cutting 'er in half this year) up and running again and put those two varieties to work...Although I am without Aji Oro seed...yet. Thanks for the wishes, Paul!

Hey Stettoman! Get ahold of 
Adam. He said he may have some Aji Oro
seeds if you are still looking.

PaulG said:

Hey Stettoman! Get ahold of 
Adam. He said he may have some Aji Oro
seeds if you are still looking.

Thanks Paul! I will certainly touch base with him. I have a couple possible sources working to help me out on that count, I'd like an even dozen in a row. In season One I grew two Aji Oros in the 8th acre (full, glorious sun), and besides crawling all over the garden each plant produced dozens upon dozens of pods. I'm not sure if it was the Primordial Ooze or the specie, but that was the most prolific producer of all the Pubescens I've grown in my insanely short tenure...

stettoman said:
Hey Frank! Oh yeah, the Antakes, Dolmas AND Aleppos are going in this year...Both the Antake and Dolma have replaced the bell peppers in our stir-fry, definite necessity!

Whatchoo growin' this year, mang? And how's that shoulder?

Shoulder not quite right , and never will be been 3 yrs. but hey , gotta keep on chugging ,
I'm growing Alleppos , Dolmas , Yellow reapers ( gifted to me from Justin White ) , Bahamians , Yellow 7 pods , Been sharing the love with those bells , got our local nursery growing and selling them . Their pretty damned liked around here ! 

How have you and the family been ? Me been busy watching my kids create more grandchildren for us , were up to 5 now , last 2 are 3 mos & 6 mos. boys . So its 4 boys to 1 girl , oldest is 21 grandson , cool as shit . been doing a lot of babysitting .

Malarky said:
Need Aji Oro still?
I have lots of seed. All OP, but I did my best to diddle every flower I saw with my little finger.
Hey Matt! Nice to see you around the site.

My plan is to put as many of the Rocoto Amarillo & Aji Oro pods in the ground as I can this year. TGCM sent me more seeds for the Amarillos, and roper2008 just dropped some Aji Oro my way, unfortunately half of which were cracked by the USPS. Brittle little bastiges!

Make a long diatribe tolerable, I could sure use a few more Oro seeds if you have them to spare!

Still got my address?

moruga welder said:
Shoulder not quite right , and never will be been 3 yrs. but hey , gotta keep on chugging ,
I'm growing Alleppos , Dolmas , Yellow reapers ( gifted to me from Justin White ) , Bahamians , Yellow 7 pods , Been sharing the love with those bells , got our local nursery growing and selling them . Their pretty damned liked around here ! 

How have you and the family been ? Me been busy watching my kids create more grandchildren for us , were up to 5 now , last 2 are 3 mos & 6 mos. boys . So its 4 boys to 1 girl , oldest is 21 grandson , cool as shit . been doing a lot of babysitting .
Man, you are the busy guy! Program those gran'chillen to love the dirt, they'll be weeding alongside you when they're teenagers!

We didn't have a banner year last season. My Dad passed in June and the weather and my enthusiasm just seemed to tag along with him. The sun poking from behind the clouds was how may local folk fell in love with my Rocoto/chokecherry jellies. This year is going to be great, 2019 is in the rear view!

Sorry that your shoulder's still messin' with ya. Mine is still doing good, an experience I never want to repeat though...

stettoman said:
We didn't have a banner year last season. My Dad passed in June and the weather and my enthusiasm just seemed to tag along with him. 

I can understand that, Eric. My dad passed in 2012, and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about him. He spent the last 9 years with us at home, so I was blessed to have that chance to get to know him, again. The first couple of months were tough, and I still shed a tear now and then. They say time heals all wounds, but I just think it makes the sadness a little easier to bear.

roper2008 said:
Sorry the Aji Oro’s got crushed.  Should have added bubble wrap, but I wasn’t thinking.  That’s good you will be getting some from Matt. 

Not to worry, Linda. There are still a half dozen of your little gems soaking and awaiting the RR plugs. As much as I'd like a bumper crop this year, realistically I only need one to thrive, which would give me all the seed I desire for the future. You did tell me that you got them from Dale, and those are exactly the strain I seek...Malarky actually sent me the first Rocoto seeds I'd ever seen (or even heard of) three years ago, and they also came from TGCM's garden...

What boggles me is that the actual ziplocs those Rocoto seeds were in were twisted and mangled a bit, but NONE of the others were touched!

PaulG said:

I can understand that, Eric. My dad passed in 2012, and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about him. He spent the last 9 years with us at home, so I was blessed to have that chance to get to know him, again. The first couple of months were tough, and I still shed a tear now and then. They say time heals all wounds, but I just think it makes the sadness a little easier to bear.

I appreciate the thoughts, Paul. We moved back up here from the foothills northeast of Phoenix in 2002 to let my kids get to know him and for me to reconnect. That seems like a long time, but I regret so many opportunities not taken with the man. Sometimes the dwelling overwhelms.

...and would you believe it, as much as that old guy loved his tomatoes he hated peppers more than ANY vegetable out there....Yet he remained genuinely interested in my exploits.

PtMD989 said:
This year is gonna be a better year for ya [emoji106][emoji2939][emoji16]. Cause you are called the “Stettoman “ not the Stressoutman. You got this [emoji106].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Bryan, and I agree. I got Haskorea seeds afterall!! :dance:

Ok, mark your ledgers if you're following along:

We have a hook, an XL Brown Rocoto, one of CaneDog's. I haven't done the math yet, but of the two seeds I planted, this is the one that I rotated on-and-off the heat pad, between +/- 80° and 65 (remember that conversation?).

I'm pretty damned giddy.

Film at 11.....

Well looks like you have a plan. Your one and only growdown plant looks better than mine, but don't tell anyone that. I never had any intention of winning anyways so I'm rooting for you. I'll follow along to see what you can get done before winter. You have the skills, maybe you just gotta move to California or Florida just depends if hurricanes or earthquakes interest you more. Wishing you the best if luck this year.

Back