• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro 4: Spredner Tin 2020

Welcome to another chapter in the great series of the Stettomans comedic gardening adventures! Come along, follow the antics of a guy makin' it up as he goes, having some luck, some not-so-much, and more than his share of whining about a fleepin' 3 month growing season! No telling what we'll see, Stetto's grows is always full of surprises and absurdities....

I almost named the thread the He should Know Better Grow, but I do and I'm going to go through with it anyway....

No list yet, but I put these Rocoto Amarillo to plug today to get a head start--I've decided to give them a full row in the half of an 8th acre, which I didn't plant at all last season. It was that bad up here...No corn, no beans, no lettuce, NO TUBERS, fercryinoutloud! All my peppers & tomatoes were container grown...

Trying a different route for germinating, at least for the firsters. I'll likely go back to trays with the Anuums and such...

20200227_100047.jpg

By the time I got the cuplettes ready I found I needed to add three more. Dunno if this was a good idear, but I used a pinch of water soluble Mykos to soak the plugs...

20200227_101022.jpg

That's all I got for todays episode, besides the Growdown Fatalii, which is doing quite well and the mystery XL Brown, which is purple and likely akin to PaulG's neat little PdN cross...

If I don't post a grow list of some kind by the end of the weekend, send someone to check on me, yeh?

I appreciate y'alls interest, don't make me regret it....

OK, tee-hee posts aside, I have a moment to update.
This is hooks/seedlings as of today, 3/28:

Sown between 02/01 & 03/11
Growdown Fatalii -1 1
XL Brown Rocoto (CaneDog) -1 1
Big Jim Legend (CaneDog) -32 9
Aji Oro (roper2008/Bhuter) -24 0
Rocoto Amarillo (TGCM) -12 5 (a 6th succumbed to damp-off)
Aji Limo (Uncle Eccoli) -4 0
Aji Amarillo (PaulG) -2 2

Sown 03/21
Ecuador Sweet Rocoto (Canedog) -2 2
Aji Arnaucho (TGCM) -2 0
Aji Largo Rocoto -3 0
*Aji Limo? (from 2016 package PaulG Peru-sourced Aji Amarillo*) -3 0
"Costco Bell" (no, not Cascabel) -6 0
Haskorea (PtMD989) -3 2
Urfa Biber (Devv) -3 0
Jimmy Nardello (Devv) -3 0
Aleppo (Moruga Welder) -3 0
Antep Aci Dolma (Moruga Welder) -3 2
Large Orange Thai (Devv) -2 2

Tomatillo -2 6 (overseeded)
Tomato "Legend" -2 8 (overseeded)
Tomato "Abe Lincoln" -2 8 (overseeded)

The tomatoes and tomatillos aren't the only overseeded, but so far the peppers that have popped have been one per RR pod. I expect this to change.

The Aji Oros and Aji Limos and a few others are being mighty stubborn, but the Oros were planted only 17 days ago and the Limos 7 days. It feels much longer than that, for obvious reasons.

Only losing one plant to damp-off is a bonus for me, I'm the classic mother hen with these defenseless innocent babes...Maybe I'm starting to get it.

Alright everyone, back to work! Jesus is coming, and he'll want to see bodies MOVING!!

stettoman said:
OK, tee-hee posts aside, I have a moment to update.

Back to the serious business of chiles, eh?  :)

Looks like some good things are showing up, but I suspect also some of that "are these going to sprout" feeling as well.  I'm only 7 days into my annuum planting and I've caught myself feeling a bit of that when some have shown and others haven't.  No Big Jim's yet for me, but I'm counting on getting some this year.  Hopefully your #'s continue to improve on those.  It looked good when the first ones came up so quickly, but why the pause now?

Great job batting a thousand on the XL Brown and ESR's.  Curious, what temp's are you running?

CaneDog said:

Back to the serious business of chiles, eh?  :)

Looks like some good things are showing up, but I suspect also some of that "are these going to sprout" feeling as well.  I'm only 7 days into my annuum planting and I've caught myself feeling a bit of that when some have shown and others haven't.  No Big Jim's yet for me, but I'm counting on getting some this year.  Hopefully your #'s continue to improve on those.  It looked good when the first ones came up so quickly, but why the pause now?

Great job batting a thousand on the XL Brown and ESR's.  Curious, what temp's are you running?

I think they're coming along at a really good pace, my lack of patience aside. There are new hooks peeking up regularly.

My main heatpad is running wide open @ +/-95 degrees, a much smaller pad running at full tilt @ 85. I'm getting the same type results from both, and the Rocoto tray (on the hotter pad) spends the night unheated. That's te tray the Rocoto Amarillos are coming out of. The combination of grow lights and heating pads has increased ambient temp in the room from 65 to 72 degrees...

I wish the peppers would pop like the tomatoes did, went in dry and were coming out the dirt in just a few days...The Antep Aci Dolmas, incidentally, did go in dry, and already two of them have popped, making me wonder if the soak is all that great and wonderful a thing...

Glad it's going well.  Turn that 1/8-acre into a jungle!

I didn't soak any of my recent annuums and they seem to be popping reasonably quickly and at high %'s.  Just seemed like a potentially unnecessarily hassle.  I suspect it doesn't matter much for fresh seeds of the more commercially grown varieties (I've also read studies with these results for fresh commercial varieties, specifically annuums).  I continue to always pre-soak older seeds and those that aren't commercial cultivated varieties.

If peppers popped and grew like tomatoes it'd probably get boring - but we'd sure eat well!  :)

Nope, still no Limos....Not worried, they'll come.

The Rocoto tray does befuddle me. The Rocoto Amarillos that have popped are sickly, yellowish coty's and all-a-droopy. They do health up with time, but I lost one to wither and another isn't looking too good. Having a couple healthy ones is great though. Just because I want rows doesn't mean I need  rows, ya knows?

Aji Oro, no sign of life, still. Yes, I know the nature of the Rocoto seed, but after I see other varieties explode out of the dirt before even a week is up it lends to the impatience.

...and I have yet to find a retail source...in America, anyhow...no 'Dog I didn't find any at the Atlantic Pepper site either, though there are a few that look similar with different names. Different names seems a thing with the Pubescens....

That's a bummer about the oro and the amarillos.  Hope you can still end up with decent numbers.  There's at least a few named rocoto floating around that I'd be hard pressed to tell apart.  Hey, I finally got a Big Jim to pop - just one so far, but I'm off the schneid.  There's a few more seeds in the cup so I'm still hoping for that power trio.

Heh heh, I gave up on staring at 'em, waiting for that popping sound. Now, at the request of a guitarist friend I'm sitting here at the other end of the room trying to learn Spirit of Radio. I used to play a lot of Iron Maiden, Triumph, April Wine, even Red Barchetta by Rush...but I wasn't 60 and working with Arthur Itis then..But it is fun tryin'! And it takes my mind off of staring at 'em, waiting for that popping sound...

stettoman said:
Heh heh, I gave up on staring at 'em, waiting for that popping sound. Now, at the request of a guitarist friend I'm sitting here at the other end of the room trying to learn Spirit of Radio. I used to play a lot of Iron Maiden, Triumph, April Wine, even Red Barchetta by Rush...but I wasn't 60 and working with Arthur Itis then..But it is fun tryin'! And it takes my mind off of staring at 'em, waiting for that popping sound...

:)  Good into's on both songs, but that's most of what I ever learned of either one.  SOTR is challenging for me to keep clean at speed.  Seems like the intro would be a challenge on bass too.  Really dig the bass on Red Barchetta.  Seems overall like the more challenging of the two.

And hey, music is good for growing plants, right?  Surely rocotos are Rush fans  ;)

- and yeah, I've seen dude's bass covers before.  He's a'ight...   :rolleyes:

CaneDog said:

:)  Good into's on both songs, but that's most of what I ever learned of either one.  SOTR is challenging for me to keep clean at speed.  Seems like the intro would be a challenge on bass too.  Really dig the bass on Red Barchetta.  Seems overall like the more challenging of the two.

When I played with Sircus in the late 80s I'd get the follow spot on Red Barchetta, wish I had vids of those days.... :tear:

Sircus 1987.jpg

Yeah, Troy has the touch. Our styles are similar, though I don't turn my head back and forth so much as he does. Wonder if he too is a chile head.... :think:

stettoman said:

When I played with Sircus in the late 80s I'd get the follow spot on Red Barchetta, wish I had vids of those days.... :tear:

attachicon.gif
Sircus 1987.jpg

Yeah, Troy has the touch. Our styles are similar, though I don't turn my head back and forth so much as he does. Wonder if he too is a chile head.... :think:

That's awesome.  Too bad no video, but great to see you at least have some pic's!

Devv said:
Howdy Eric!

Looks like everything's in order. I put the work order in for a 4 month summer for ya this season.

Good luck and keep it green ;)

Scott! Hey man, good to see you again. I was getting worried about ya, had a dog sled team all lined up for the rescue effort, and here you walk right in the door! Been on hiatus in Hyannis, then? Hope all is well in your pod, my friend!!

I appreciate the 4 month request. They NEVER listen to me! 

stettoman said:

attachicon.gif
Sircus 1987.jpg

Sign my guitar,eh[emoji41][emoji16].
You oughta fix up one of those cars from the barn, it could be Red Barchetta 2.0. Or Red BarStetto 1.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wondering what I might have done to the main Rocoto tray. Still not one Aji Oro as yet, and of the 6 Rocoto Amarillos that popped, only one looks relatively healthy.

Posted earlier, I lost one to damp-off, or so I believe, but these four are scratching and clawing. It's hard to believe in genetic frailty here, but I ain't no horty-culturist...

20200329_171319.jpg

20200331_105718.jpg

And this one, the tri-cotyledon model I was bragging up, appears to be attempting to strangle itself with its first true leaf.

20200331_105753.jpg

But there's the one that's healthy and operating at what looks to be 100%. I need to keep it that way. Even if the others do survive, I don't know what they'll spend their energy doing...

Their behavior looks to me like they think they're a bit wet - though the bottom two look more like they were a bit wet but they like their current conditions better, especially the last one.

That's my 2¢.  For whatever reason - not having much experience with it figures in I suppose - I have these types of hiccups from time to time using rockwool as a starter for rocotos, when I rarely do with starter mix.  May be similar with the RR's.  Too wet could definitely have an impact on germinating.

CaneDog said:
Their behavior looks to me like they think they're a bit wet - though the bottom two look more like they were a bit wet but they like their current conditions better, especially the last one.

That's my 2¢.  For whatever reason - not having much experience with it figures in I suppose - I have these types of hiccups from time to time using rockwool as a starter for rocotos, when I rarely do with starter mix.  May be similar with the RR's.  Too wet could definitely have an impact on germinating.

I just don't know, 'Dog. The destructions say to "keep moist", it's possible I'm keeping them too moist, but they're getting the same treatment as everything else. I don't judge a seed by the color of its skin, rather by the contents of its eventual fruit...

The other trays, still having some blank pods in them, are opened for the day and recovered at night. They tend to gas off H2O during those daytime hours. I'm thinking of draining the Rocoto tray completely and closet it for a week. Then again, for all I know the Pubes will burst forth on day 30 or 45...I just don't have the season for that, and am done with the overwinter experiment. The bugs are more tenacious than I am vigilant...

I hear you about the OW bugs, Stett. I am not
going to OW plants anymore. I'm sure the aphids
came in with one of my OW plants. Drat! I got tired
of picking them off every day. Especially with 50
plants. PITA for sure.

Back