• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stetto's '21, ok ok ok, SEMI-glog glog

I wasn't planning to do a grow log this year, too much going on and little time to devote, but I've had a real good seedling season, so I thought I'd drop in from time to time to glance around and give you guys n gals something to talk about...

SUPER small list this season, but germ rate was outstanding on some varieties, so whaddaya do?

Pubescens
Aji Oro Rocoto (spawn of Aji Oro OW)
Rocoto Rojo (from 2019 harvest)
Turbo Pube (from 2019 harvest)
Hyper-X Rocoto (Canedog)
Awesome Orange Rocoto (Canedog)

Annuum
Chimayo (Harry_Dangler)
Nambe Pueblo (Harry_Dangler)
Hernandez Hot (Harry_Dangler)
Big Jim Legacy (Sandia)
Serrano Tampiqueno (Sandia)
YOLO Bell (Tradewinds Fruit)

Overwinter
XL Brown Rocoto (Canedog)
Aji Oro (Bhuter)
Aji Oro (spawn of Aji Oro from Bhuter)

Tomato
Prairie Star (Harry_Dangler)

There are many of each variety, the germ rate was crazy good. I'm convinced the Frog Farm Ocean Forest soil contributed yugely to that.

The Hernandez Hot was the only one of the Annuums to limit me to one plant, and the Turbo Pube was the only Rocoto to resist germination, though I did get one to hook. It actually sprouted the same week as the others, but was stunted to where I almost pulled it. But today I found true leaves emerging, so...
turbo 1.jpg

For a little scale perspective
turbo 2.jpg

I'm curious how this little guy will turn out and how long it will take to do that turning out, but hey, it's the Turbo I got, right?

I'm super happy with my Aji Oro crop so far, I've had to cut a bunch out and I HATE culling more than just about anything, and yet there are still 2-3 plants currently in each and every pot. This one is a personal triumph. Backstory: I had a total of two helmet heads in this planting, one a Chimayo, the other this Aji Oro. I spent almost two weeks trying to keep them moist so they could figh their own way out, but at some point I lost patience or faith, one, so I mechanically tweezered the cotys loose. The Chimayo was stunted but otherwise a healthy plant, but he Aji Oro had no cotyledons, no bud, just a stump. I figured the plant had been helmeted too long and rotted inside the seed shell. Oh well, right? There are two healthy plants in the potlet anyway, no loss...

I thought that too, until this morning: 
aji oro stump.jpg

The tip started to grow a tiny bulb a couple days ago, I simply let nature persevere, as it is guaranteed to do...

I just don't know how you guys do it, cut out perfectly good though overpopulated exotic pepper plants. I have no problem thinning anything out, carrots, lettuce, bell peppers...But this is hard...

Also note there are no Baccatum or Chinense this season, heck, I already planted more than I should have... 

Hey Paul, that little Aji Oro stublette counts as a duck, no? :cool:

Ok, maybe a turkey or a goose, but it counts....right?

ahayastani said:
I had something similar happening with Aji Pineapple, but it was slooooooooowwww to grow and became something of a painapple. And then a bird took care of what my heart couldn't get done  :confused:

Heh, well it's a science experiment now. Can't yank it 'cause I got to find out what it'll be when/if it grows up!!

CaneDog said:
Hey Stetto.  Great to be able to follow along with some of your doings this season.

I'm psyched to see how the Chimayo does for you.  It was one of a few I'd really like to have grown this season that didn't make the final cut.  Haven't seen one before so it should be interesting.

Continued good luck this season!

Thanks 'Dog, if the Chimayos do well I'll send you some seeds if you want. I know I love the powder already, but those were grown in CO. Who knows what environmental effects there will be on flavor/heat, eh?

Sure, Eric, you can count the stublette as a duck!
It sort of  looks like one. Quack! If it looks like
a duck...

Good to hear about your germination success.
Guess nature conspires against you in one way
or another! No Aji Amarillo this year, eh?

How are preparations for the big move coming
along?

PaulG said:
Sure, Eric, you can count the stublette as a duck!
It sort of  looks like one. Quack! If it looks like
a duck...
Good to hear about your germination success.
Guess nature conspires against you in one way
or another! No Aji Amarillo this year, eh?

How are preparations for the big move coming
along?

Thanks for confirmation on the duck, I appreciate it!!

No Aji Amarillo, and yes, it feels weird. But they're a long-term grow and I'm taking enough chances with the Rocotos. The Darlin' Bride/Queen of the Realm says we're taking no prisoners when we move, meaning no OWs this time either.

Speaking of which, the limbo we've been in is slowly clearing up, bit by bit. Got the Daughter of the Queen of the Realm safely moved to CO, found an area to plant ourselves, making lists of sale/refuse/donation items to leave behind and minimalize, but still haven't contacted a land-pimp yet. Like the Skull Biker, I'm still going to have to take at least one trailer trip before hand, new digs or not, so we'll need to get a storage unit out there.

I'm STILL being promised a greenhouse without being asked. That is a record for her.... :woohoo:

Oh, and our bear from last year is back, I finally got the trailcam powered up again...
Bear 1 4 27 21.jpg

Bear 2 2 27 21.jpg

This guy/gal is now showing up nightly. All we have out anymore id thistle seed, bears don't quite find it epicurean, but keeps coming back to check.

Bear 4 28 21.jpg

Bear standing 4 28 21.jpg

We have a lot of shelter belts, abandoned barns, thick undergrowth, and open farmland, yet this one persists in spending time here every night. If you check the time stamp on these latest pics, we were still up when this visit occurred, and I was out with a flashlight @ 10:00 and saw nothing.

If this is a sow, like I'm being told, there is likely a cub out there too. Won't matter, if I have to protect my 13 & 14 year old dogs, I won't think twice.

Besides, think of the damage to my damm pepper patch??

If I already have problems with a cat, I wouldn't want to imagine a bear... My only encounter with a bear in the wild was in Armenia. I hiked between archaeological sites and pitched my tent in or besides the ruins. One evening I was arriving at a dilapidated monastery and a bear came out of the church. I stepped back and ran away. My fear was actually not knowing what to do.

My neighbor called on Saturday afternoon to tell me he'd taken that bear down. Said it was VERY old. I'm glad I wasn't the one to do it.

Anyway, my Saturday was spent outside setting up the deck for the kids to play. Here they are getting used to filtered sun. Temp was right at 80 degrees, 75 yesterday. A good weekend.

kids day out.jpg

The roller coaster that is zone 3 has us at 48 degrees today, doesn't look to be an ideal Spring, but the Dude abides...

Just to put the punctuation on the bear situation, my neighbor says I underestimated this animal's weight. From what I was seeing at night and from the trail cam pics, I thought he was around 400 lbs. This critter is between 600 & 700 lbs...

bear3 4-3-21.jpg

That skid is a foot behind him...

Glad to see ya glogging it this year [emoji106][emoji16]. Interested in see how your Chimaya and Prairie Star turn out for ya. Mr Dangler also sent me those seeds. I already got pods on the Chimaya. But I’m not sure what tomato plant is the PS. A gust of wind rearranged all my maters, so l don’t know what is what with the maters[emoji848][emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back